• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

Winter Fitness

itri

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I definitely got into the zen of running last winter when trying to get back into shape, but then I hurt my IT band :-(. Still haven't been able to get back to where I was in terms of running without my knee bothering me, which is such a bummer because it had become such a release for me to do that every day. I hate the eliptical machine!!
Did you do anything to try to fix the ITB issue? I ask because I had a major ITB flare-up in the spring while training for my half-marathon. I wound up in PT, where we focused on core strengthening and did a lot of manual (massage-type) work on it. I've had zero problems since, even when I was working my mileage back up at the end of the summer. The foam roller is my best friend...any time I start feeling the ITB twinge, I go roll, and it usually takes care of it.

There's no way I would be able to stand the elliptical for any period of time. In fact, we had to abandon it when I first started PT for my knee surgery since it was irritating my achilles.

I'm obviously not doing as well fitness-wise as I had hoped because of my knee, but I am back into spin class full-on, trying to get at least 2-3 times per week. I've also worked up to running 3 miles, albeit in 45 second intervals and pretty slow. I'm actually doing a duathlon this weekend, but I'll be wogging the run portion with a pregnant friend. We're gonna be slooooow. :becky: I should be pretty much back to full activity in January. My therapist says that's when I can ski and start back to track workouts with my running group! :dance:

michpc

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Did you do anything to try to fix the ITB issue? I ask because I had a major ITB flare-up in the spring while training for my half-marathon. I wound up in PT, where we focused on core strengthening and did a lot of manual (massage-type) work on it. I've had zero problems since, even when I was working my mileage back up at the end of the summer. The foam roller is my best friend...any time I start feeling the ITB twinge, I go roll, and it usually takes care of it.

I waited from February until May to figure out that it was actually the ITB, so yeah... I didn't do PT, but I do stretch a LOT now and it hasn't ever been as bad again as it was at its peak (where it was a sharp pain pretty much whenever I had to put pressure on my left leg). But I still start to get a twinge there when I try to run for a long time. I suspect it's all probably doing too much too soon, and pushing myself too hard. Since I've been an athlete my whole life, I tend to want to just JUMP right back in, which I suspect is what caused me problems in the first place. I'm also trying to address the issue of my aged orthotics, which could have played a roll. I'm going to give Superfeet a try, and if that's a no go, then start SAVING for the real deal since I'm fairly broke at the moment.

ps: I hate knees, and yeah I'm only 24 :doh:

michpc

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
And itri, good luck with the duathlon, and don't worry January will be here before you know it!

itri

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Thanks! It's going pretty quick, but I'm just impatient. :smile:

If you don't have a foam roller, get one! I can't tell you what a huge difference it makes. And core strengthening is huge. It seems kind of weird, but my PT pointed out after watching me run that I had a lot of hip motion, caused by a weak core. That hip motion was definitely contributing to my ITB issues.

Can you tell I'm really itching to get back running? And want to help others get back, too! :becky:

Consuela

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Confession time...

So how is everyone doing with their winter fitness plans?

Okay, I have a confession. I missed 2 solid weeks of workout and just got back on the wagon yesterday. Man, my legs feel like I'm 100 yrs old. argh... Time to get out the foam roller...

altagirl

Staff member
And core strengthening is huge. It seems kind of weird, but my PT pointed out after watching me run that I had a lot of hip motion, caused by a weak core. That hip motion was definitely contributing to my ITB issues.

That sounds funny because I'm working so hard lately to get MORE hip motion into my skating.

Luckily, from what my PT has told me, the movements involved in skating is great for keeping your ITB happy. My understanding is that a lot of ITB problems stem from having weak abductors, which is very common for distance runners, cyclists, etc - but it's one of your primary muscles used for skating.

altagirl

Staff member
I definitely got into the zen of running last winter when trying to get back into shape, but then I hurt my IT band :-(. Still haven't been able to get back to where I was in terms of running without my knee bothering me, which is such a bummer because it had become such a release for me to do that every day. I hate the eliptical machine!!

I remember that feeling... but it's been a long time.

I did try to run again after knee surgery #4, I think. But it just wasn't happening. It's a good thing I like the elliptical trainer!

That - and I seem to be able to get the same zen feeling from going out XC skiing. It needs to hurry up and snow more so I can XC ski already!!

Robyn

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Oy, I get severe cramps in my abductors sometimes. Like last night. I think the one legged spinning did it in last night.

altagirl

Staff member
Oy, I get severe cramps in my abductors sometimes. Like last night. I think the one legged spinning did it in last night.

Every time I skate, as I'm warming up, my adductors just burn like crazy. But then it fades and they feel fine. (Maybe that pain just gets overwhelmed by the lactic acid in my thighs and lower back...)

But I will say, I think I was missing that movement in my workouts/sports. Because strengthening my adductors through skating has not only elminated ITB pain, but seemed to fix a lot of patella alignment problems as well. (Apparently the movement is that you start with the adductor and then it triggers the VMO (that evil inner quad muscle) to fire, and the combination is something that you don't get when just running/cycling in a straight line).

tradygirl

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I agree. Since I started doing deep squats my inner quads and thighs have gotten much stronger than they used to be. I never have knee issues anymore. Core strength is incredibly important too.

I think most of us really lack movements in our workouts that "out-of-plane". Biking, running, etc tend to overdevelop the outer quadricep muscles while ignoring the inner quadricep, which causes knee tracking problems. That's why stuff like skating and skate skiing that develop the inner thigh are so good for keeping stuff aligned.

Just as an update with my program....the Mountain Athlete ski prep program is killer!! We've been doing massive amounts of plyometric and eccentric strength stuff, combined with one heavy strength session per week, and I really think it's going to pay off. Many of the Jackson athletes are saying this is the best they've ever felt going into ski season, in terms of both the up and the down. One guy said he's touring faster and stronger right now than he was at the END of last season! Since the snow is finally coming this weekend, I hope I get to try out my legs on Saturday....

floridakeysskibum

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
run forest run, I'm training(well sort of) for the miami ING marathon in late january 2009. I did the 1/2 marathon in key west last year at a respectable pace, (also the 7mile bridge run--really cool)and figured if I can not run the whole marathon, and least I know what to expect for the 1/2, and walk the rest (they give us 7 hours on the course). I bike once or twice a week if I get off work early enough that there is still daylight. (and never have time to pump up the tires all the way--so extra calories burned there) but usually take the dog for a run at night, honestly she takes me for a run the first 3 miles, and then is besides me the rest of the way home for the other 3. strange but true, when we get home, she does about 5 fast laps around the pool and attacks my roommates boxer for about 10minutes before she finally falls down. bummer they don't allow dogs in the marathon, she could out run us all, and still have energy left over...ugh very :noidea:

dloveski

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Winter fitness challenge

I'm inspired by all the Diva fitness stories, so much so, that I have lofty plans this winter.

OMG----I just was notified I was selected in the lottery for the Canyonlands 1/2 Marathon in March (OMG---that means I have to think about my running this winter). Plus, I'm trying to make my weight class twice/week. Then there's that hosting thing at the ski resort.......and I really want to skate ski this winter.

And then there's this problem with a full-time job.............

and sleeping and house stuff (don't have that maid I want).

Reality (and/or another epic snow season) may change some of my best-laid plans.......:fear::fear::fear:

itri

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
You can do it! I did an April 6 half this past year and it was tough squeezing in the long runs, especially when I wanted to be skiing on Sunday, my regular long run day! But, I made it work and you can too!

altagirl

Staff member
Well - at least the skate skiing is probably good cross-training for running, right?

I'm sure you can work it all out. :smile:

Speaking of XC skiing... I went to Alta on Saturday, and then drove up to Park City to XC ski yesterday with my dog... and it turned out they only got about 1-2" of snow so far - not enough to XC ski on. Which is crazy - we have plenty of snow in our yard in the valley - even at my office in SLC. I can't believe Park City has gotten so little snow. Oh well. We ended up just going for a short walk. And I guess it probably didn't hurt me any to have a real rest day for the week.

Slidergirl

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Well - at least the skate skiing is probably good cross-training for running, right?

I'm sure you can work it all out. :smile:

Speaking of XC skiing... I went to Alta on Saturday, and then drove up to Park City to XC ski yesterday with my dog... and it turned out they only got about 1-2" of snow so far - not enough to XC ski on. Which is crazy - we have plenty of snow in our yard in the valley - even at my office in SLC. I can't believe Park City has gotten so little snow. Oh well. We ended up just going for a short walk. And I guess it probably didn't hurt me any to have a real rest day for the week.

Yeah, we're paltry up here. All the storms have been from the Northwest, which favors the Wasatch Front. Today's storm is more from the South, which favors the Wasatch Back.
A reminder on the PC XC trails. The 20 KM of tracks within the PC limits are maintained by the city with a contract to White Pine Touring. There is a pass system, so it's not free. If you get on the trail at The Barn without paying, you are not paying your share of the maintenance of those trails. But, I know you aren't one of those...

Slidergirl

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
When I'm not standing outside for 8 hours scanning those lift tickets (a pretty big workout in itself), I'm over at my physical therapist, continuing my strengthening of my left leg. Fortunately, the exercises also work for my right leg! I'm also getting sick of the ellipical. But, since I can't run yet, it's my aerobic workout. My PT has added in some additional things to get a little ski-specific things in. When we get some more snow, I'll be getting my snowshoes out. Oh, and my dog makes me walk him 2 miles a day :-)

altagirl

Staff member
Yeah, we're paltry up here. All the storms have been from the Northwest, which favors the Wasatch Front. Today's storm is more from the South, which favors the Wasatch Back.
A reminder on the PC XC trails. The 20 KM of tracks within the PC limits are maintained by the city with a contract to White Pine Touring. There is a pass system, so it's not free. If you get on the trail at The Barn without paying, you are not paying your share of the maintenance of those trails. But, I know you aren't one of those...

I've paid to use those trails before, but much prefer to go out on the rail trail or out by Round Valley, which I don't think is part of the White Pine Touring network of trails. It's all marked with public trail markers and allows dogs. Well - and actually I don't think it's in the PC limits either, but I'm not all that sure.

Correct me if I'm wrong though. My beta is just from other people I've met on the Rail Trail who said there is a guy who grooms the Rail Trail for free because he uses it, which is why the maintenance can be a little intermittent.

Slidergirl

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I've paid to use those trails before, but much prefer to go out on the rail trail or out by Round Valley, which I don't think is part of the White Pine Touring network of trails. It's all marked with public trail markers and allows dogs. Well - and actually I don't think it's in the PC limits either, but I'm not all that sure.

Correct me if I'm wrong though. My beta is just from other people I've met on the Rail Trail who said there is a guy who grooms the Rail Trail for free because he uses it, which is why the maintenance can be a little intermittent.

Yes, you're right. The Rail Trail and Round Valley are free. I take my dog up into Round Valley year 'round. I just get a little sensitive about the White Pine trails - I see people get on at The Barn without paying and it bugs me.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cholinga