• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

Will I grow to love my skis or are they just not for me?

scnelson

Certified Ski Diva
This will be my 3rd season skiing and I'm progressing and really starting to enjoy it but I'm just not sure about my skis. My husband grew up in Tahoe and has taught my 2 kids and I over the past 2 seasons. The first one I just kind of went along and didn't like it that much but in season 2, I really had a break through and love it now! Actually, rewinding a bit further......3 season's ago he took each of us one day to a local hill in NC to see if we'd like it and we all used a pair of Volkl RTM Jr's that he picked up on ebay. They were a little short for me at 140cm but the kids and I are all in the same ballpark regarding ski length and identical boot size which has allowed us to swap out skis to experiment over the past couple of years as we've accumulated more gear. I'm 5' 2", 125 lbs, my 14 y/o daughter is 5'7-5'8", 100 lbs and my son is 4'11", 100 lbs. So after the one trial run on the Jr skis, we found an end of season deal on a new pair of Head Absolut Joys in a size 148cm that the manager at a local ski shop thought would be a great beginner ski for me that I wouldn't outgrow quickly. We headed out West on an 8 week ski trip and I felt very much out of control the first time on the Head's. We would swap skis from time to time and I always felt way more comfortable on either of my kid's Jr skis to where my daughter and I would fight over her Jr skis (lol) but she didn't like the Head's either. We made due that season (2018) but I never loved my skis and always used my daughter's skis on days when my husband was giving me a solo lesson.

In January of this year we headed out west again and because my son progressed so rapidly, my husband bought him 2 new pairs of higher performance (carving and powder) skis and I tried both of those out but didn't feel great on either of those as they felt even stiffer than my Head Joys. About half way thru this year's trip, my husband bought a pair of Volkl Yumis (not the new stiffer ones) for my daughter and I and I absolutely love them! They are so much easier to ski than my Head's are and I'm trying to understand why that is. He actually sorta bought them for my daughter since she is so light but my skiing progressed so quickly on them that I made my daughter use the Head's but now we are trying to figure out what to do for next season and I could really use some help.

These got really good reviews so is it just that the Head's are too stiff for my ability or is it the shape of them that is throwing me off because looking at them, the front is much wider and they have more side cut than the Yumis? Flexing them they feel stiffer as well. My husband says that I'm now mostly carving when I'm on greens or easy blues and then slarve or skid when I get on steeper terrain and he thinks I may grow into the Joys as I get better/ski faster and more aggressive. Prior to getting the Yumis, I was skiing so much slower because I didn't have the confidence but after a couple of runs on the Yumis, I literally doubled my speed (still very slow but not as slow as I was) and it really started becoming fun and the boys appreciated it. The problem is that though I progressed a lot, my daughter did not and we are trying to figure out the best plan for next year as she is still back where I was at the end of my first season.

1. We go with the gear we have and she can use the RTM Jr's (probably too short at 140cm), the Heads (probably too stiff) or the Yumis (probably just right).
2. We get a 2nd pair of Yumis maybe slightly longer like the 154cm for her and try to sell the Heads since they look brand new and have hardly been skied.
3. Maybe there is a different ski that would be better for my daughter. BTW-is weight or height more important when selecting ski length/stiffness because she is both much taller, and much lighter than I am.

What do you think, is it possible I will progress enough this season that I'll grow into the Heads? My husband thinks that I don't like the Heads now because "I'm not driving them and am just along for the ride" whereas I'm pushing the Yumis enough to "drive them". My son who is smaller but skis much faster and more aggressively than I do has no problem on even stiffer skis than my Heads so maybe I will progress enough to like them. That said, we got Ikon passes this year and have a full itinerary in Colorado, Utah, Montana, Wyoming and California so I'm hoping that both my daughter and I will be happy with our skis this season! Thanks for your help!

marzNC

Angel Diva
Welcome! Will read more carefully tomorrow. But my gut reaction is the the Head AJs are probably just not for you. Get skis you find fun now.

I'm petite, an older advanced skier, live in NC but my home mountain is Massanutten and I ski a lot out west. I demo a lot. Don't like Volkl skis in general, although the Yumi is okay. I bought AJs @148cm after demo'ing at Mnut. Also like other Head Joy skis. In short, I'm your size and a better skier but have quite different taste in skis. More to it than height/weight of the skier or width/length of the skis.

Is/was your husband a professional ski instructor?

RuthB

Angel Diva
I am firmly in the camp that the right skis for you are the ones that make you smile, give you confidence and make you want to ski. They are the first ones you would grab if you could grab any ski you could. From your description, for you the yumi's seem to meet these criteria.

Personally I think that how you will like a ski is really hard to tell from reviews and specifications. Often a ski will seem exactly what you are after on paper and leave you cold when you ski it.

The yumis are rated intermediate to advanced so you are not going to outgrow them as you would a beginner to intermediate ski.

Life's too short to ski on skis that don's sing for you and you (and your daughter) will likely have more fun skiing with your family if you are both on skis that you like. I vote to, in the words of Marie Kondo, thank your absolute joys for their service and let them go to someone who loves them (of which there are plenty of people).

MissySki

Angel Diva
I think it’s fantastic that your hubby has ignited your passion for skiing! It sounds to me though that you have come to a place where you can most definitely tell the difference between what you like/don’t like in a ski all on your own. He absolutely cannot do this for you, no one can, and you are well on your way since you are questioning all of this. Life is too short to be stuck on skis you don’t like, there’s enough challenges to learning to ski without hating your equipment as well! My advice is to stick with the Yumis if you are happy with them and/or demo some others to see what you like (including maybe a size up from where you have been now on the Yumis and others for comparison sake). Demoing is so much fun and you will learn a ton about your personal preferences. Since neither you or your daughter are enjoying the Heads, I’d cut them loose because there is no guarantee you’ll ever like them and you’ll get the most return selling them now versus years from now when they are even older. Also, have you had a proper bootfitting? A big saying around here is that you marry your boots and date your skis. Boots are critical pieces of equipment to have fitting well so you have the most balance and control possible, then have fun demoing and switching out your skis to your heart’s content!

marzNC

Angel Diva
I'm 5' 2", 125 lbs, my 14 y/o daughter is 5'7-5'8", 100 lbs and my son is 4'11", 100 lbs.
As you've already learned, size (ht/wt) is not the only factor for choosing skis. Two people who are exactly the same size but have different personalities and skiing styles are likely to like completely different models.

we found an end of season deal on a new pair of Head Absolut Joys in a size 148cm that the manager at a local ski shop thought would be a great beginner ski
This was a NC shop, correct? How much of a selection was there at appropriate lengths for you or your kids? AJs are good skis, but not usually thought of as a beginner ski.

We headed out West on an 8 week ski trip and I felt very much out of control the first time on the Head's.
About half way thru this year's trip, my husband bought a pair of Volkl Yumis (not the new stiffer ones) for my daughter and I and I absolutely love them! They are so much easier to ski than my Head's are and I'm trying to understand why that is.
8 weeks! You mean Jan-Mar 2019? How many places did you ski? Does the family ski together most of the time? Or do your DH and son go off while you ski with your daughter?

1. We go with the gear we have and she can use the RTM Jr's (probably too short at 140cm), the Heads (probably too stiff) or the Yumis (probably just right).
2. We get a 2nd pair of Yumis maybe slightly longer like the 154cm for her and try to sell the Heads since they look brand new and have hardly been skied.
3. Maybe there is a different ski that would be better for my daughter. BTW-is weight or height more important when selecting ski length/stiffness because she is both much taller, and much lighter than I am.
Selling the AJs will be relatively easy. If you post more, you'll be able to offer in a Divas Only thread in the For Sale section. They are popular skis, just not a good fit for your family.

That said, we got Ikon passes this year and have a full itinerary in Colorado, Utah, Montana, Wyoming and California so I'm hoping that both my daughter and I will be happy with our skis this season! Thanks for your help!
You have invested a fair amount of money into a multi-resort pass. You're about to spend a lot of time and money traveling to ski at some of the best resorts in the world. Seems worth investing money in skis that make the experience as much fun as possible. Mileage is a key factor for progressing "beyond the blues" and gaining confidence.

Keep researching for a bit but I hope you buy some skis for you and your daughter while there are deals to be had during the summer or pre-season sales. As I've learned from @diymom , buying and selling skis is not that complicated.

Jilly

Staff member
I agree, get rid of the AJ's. You don't like them, nor your daughter. Make them gone. Ebay, Craigslist, local swap...go.

You mentioned that your husband taught you to ski. Is he a certified instructor? I would like to suggest during your next trip out west, you get a lesson or take a ladies clinic if possible. We have Diva's that are instructors in many of the resorts out west. Breckenridge - Katy Perrey, Big Sky - Ursula and Skisailor to name some that come to mind quickly.

Demo - it's the Diva's mantra. In some cases they are free. So if you see tents at the bottom of the hill, go visit. You may need to leave some type of security behind to take out a pair. Try to make your own decision not your husbands. We can educate you on that.

Boots - no mention on these. Your boots are your connection to your skis. If they don't fit right, flex right, then you are going to have problems getting the skis to do what you want. Most beginners go for comfort fit. This does not translate well to skiing. The next thing you know, your feet are swimming in the boots. Get fitted properly and keep these boot for you only, not your kids.

Most of all, have fun. I'm jealous of 8 weeks out west.......that's my lotto dream.

liquidfeet

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Boots! Yes, it's time to talk boots.

Your boots are more important than your skis. Boots need to be "snug." As in,... tight. The word usually used is "snug," but for a new-ish skier "snug" is going to feel "tight."

Your boots need to be tight fore-aft (length), tight left-right (width), and tight above the foot (volume). You need to have one pair of thinnish ski socks in those boots too, not two pairs of thick wool socks. Boots should fit your foot's individual shape in 3-dimensions like a custom-made piece of sculpture. This "snug" fit will feel like the boot is squeezing your foot when you first put it in there. Stand and breathe deeply, and wait for your foot to realize that nothing hurts. Snug boots feel great once you get used to them. Snug boots will eliminate that bruise that develops on your shin where your bone bangs into the cuff (shin bang). Snug boots will give you excellent control over your skis. If you are skiing weeks on end it's time to get snug boots.

If your current boots don't fit this way, your foot is like a loose steering wheel. It can't rotate the ski, and it can't tip the ski on edge and hold it there. The foot will slide sideways when you're pointing the ski across a steep hill, and that will allow the ski to flatten and slip downhill when you want the ski to stay edged and gripping. If you are manually rotating the ski, there will be lag time between when you rotate the foot and when the ski rotates. If the boot doesn't fit snugly (tightly) in three dimensions, the ski will feel like it has an inbuilt wobble. You may think it's you, but it's the boot. So check your boot fit. People here can help you figure this out, maybe in another thread addressing boot fit. Consider starting another thread about that if you have any concerns about your boots.

Yes, sell those Heads. They are too short for you anyway at 148. Your husband says you may grow into them as you get more aggressive on steep groomers, but with more aggression comes more speed. At faster speeds you'd need even more length in those skis, and they are already too short. I'd suggest you go 155 up to 160 when you get a new pair of skis. The extra length gives you more support in front of your foot and behind it. That extra lengths holds you up when you need some support. Get more of that!

Last edited:

diymom

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I'm just going to echo what the rest have already said. It sounds like both you and your daughter have given the Absolute Joys more than a fair chance at proving themselves. If nobody enjoys skiing them, time to sell. You might "grow into" them, or you might always dislike them. I say find the ski that is right for you now. The online ski posts are just starting to turn around again after the summer slow down, as people are starting to dream about next season already. It wouldn't hurt to post them locally on CL, it is free after all. Same goes for starting to look for your next pair. You might just stumble across a pair at a price you can't say no to. That's generally how I end up with new pairs of skis. First it was a pair of Absolute Joys a few years ago (somebody won them in a raffle but didn't ski, so posted them on CL.) Then a pair of Atomic Vantage x80 cti last year. This summer I have picked up a few others that I am eager to try out. I figure if I like them, I keep them. If I don't, I can always sell them. But that is my haphazard way of going about ski buying. The better way, especially since it sounds like you will be places that are bound to have lots of demo choices, is to demo until you find the pair that makes you smile the most. Try different brands, different lengths, even different snow conditions if possible. There is bound to be one that stands out from the crowd, and that is YOUR ski.

Christy

Angel Diva
Probably beating a dead horse here but it's impossible to know if you will "grow in to them." As you become more skilled and knowledgeable you may find you prefer entirely different qualities in a ski--there is absolutely no basis for thinking that you will happen to grow into a skier that loves that particular ski.

People buy and sell skis all the time--just get rid of them!

scnelson

Certified Ski Diva
Thanks so much for all of the great input! It's confirmation of what we've been thinking as well.

Knowing that we won't be able to demo anything before our trip (hopefully we will come across a demo at one of the resorts) are there a few skis to consider that sound like they could be a good fit for me or my daughter? Given how much I like the Yumis, we've considered getting a 2nd pair maybe in a 154cm but of course, there could be something else I'd like a lot more but there's no way of knowing that before the season. My daughter is somewhat indifferent to skiing (so far but hopefully she'll have the same breakthrough I had this coming year) compared to the rest of us so it's not that she loved the Yumis as much as she disliked the AJs. If we had one pair of 154cm and one 148, who do you think should be skiing the shorter skis given she is much taller but both lighter and a less aggressive skier?

Regarding boots, I know they are Heads but don't recall the model. We tried on several brands and once we found the ones that fit my feet the best, I know we tried on several sizes and ended up with a comfortably snug fit. They were heat molded to my feet and the first couple of days they were fairly tight and now are comfortable but snug with a thin pair of smartwool socks.

Tonight I'll read through the posts again to see if there were any other questions that I missed but you've already been a great help! Thank you!

mustski

Angel Diva
If you like the Yumis, go for it. There is nothing wrong with buying a 2nd pair. I would probably size up for the second pair. Your daughter, although light, is quite tall and will feel more stable on a longer ski.

Also a correction to @Jilly 's post - @KatyPerrey is at Kestone not Breck. Neither are on the Ikon pass.

marzNC

Angel Diva
Regarding boots, I know they are Heads but don't recall the model. We tried on several brands and once we found the ones that fit my feet the best, I know we tried on several sizes and ended up with a comfortably snug fit. They were heat molded to my feet and the first couple of days they were fairly tight and now are comfortable but snug with a thin pair of smartwool socks.
How long did you spend with the boot fitter beyond settling on a pair of boots? Brand and model don't really matter as long as it's a good fit. Sounds like you did a reasonable process.

marzNC

Angel Diva
Knowing that we won't be able to demo anything before our trip (hopefully we will come across a demo at one of the resorts) are there a few skis to consider that sound like they could be a good fit for me or my daughter? Given how much I like the Yumis, we've considered getting a 2nd pair maybe in a 154cm but of course, there could be something else I'd like a lot more but there's no way of knowing that before the season. My daughter is somewhat indifferent to skiing (so far but hopefully she'll have the same breakthrough I had this coming year) compared to the rest of us so it's not that she loved the Yumis as much as she disliked the AJs. If we had one pair of 154cm and one 148, who do you think should be skiing the shorter skis given she is much taller but both lighter and a less aggressive skier?
Since your daughter isn't gung ho at this point, I'd keep her on the shorter skis until she speeds up a bit.

Honestly, even though your husband obviously thinks there's no point in spending any money on lessons, a teen may well learn more from an instructor than a parent. If you are at one of the Ikon resorts when they are having programs for teens, might at least ask her if she is interested. I started my daughter early in ski school. When she was a tween and young teen, she was far more likely to stay on the slopes if she was with a friend. Didn't have to be her age either. If we were skiing with adult friends she was more into skiing than with just me. It's a phase.

Silly question . . . has she ever expressed an interest in trying snowboarding?

diymom

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I just went back to read the starting post. You mention that the Yumis you have are not the new stiffer ones. Do you know which year they are from (or can you describe what graphics they have)? That is something to keep in mind if you look for a second pair. If you prefer the “old” Yumi, but don’t find a decent used one right off, the Volkl Kama is supposed to be similar.

scnelson

Certified Ski Diva
Since your daughter isn't gung ho at this point, I'd keep her on the shorter skis until she speeds up a bit.

Honestly, even though your husband obviously thinks there's no point in spending any money on lessons, a teen may well learn more from an instructor than a parent. If you are at one of the Ikon resorts when they are having programs for teens, might at least ask her if she is interested. I started my daughter early in ski school. When she was a tween and young teen, she was far more likely to stay on the slopes if she was with a friend. Didn't have to be her age either. If we were skiing with adult friends she was more into skiing than with just me. It's a phase.

Silly question . . . has she ever expressed an interest in trying snowboarding?

She hasn't but our son wants to try snowboarding so my husband is bringing one of his and plans to teach the kids a couple days to see what they think. He was a snowboarding instructor as well many years ago but mainly prefers skiing himself. My daughter has a decent time skiing but she's not a natural athlete so it's similar to kayaking or MTB where she does it with us and laughs and has fun during the day but if she had the choice, she'd prefer to stay home as she's a homebody and more artistic. We have a good time though.

My husband is more diehard so he doesn't mind skiing the storm days and then we try to pick the nice sunny days for family days. We typically do a few runs as a family where we just ski and have fun and then he may take one of us on a run or two to individually work on some drills and then we'll ski a few more runs as a family. Occasionally he'll spend a day one on one with each of us where it's more lesson focused but he trys to mix in a lot of runs where we just do our own thing so that every day/run isn't a lesson and we can just ski for fun. I've homeschooled the kids since they were little so they are used to us being their teachers and they respond really well to us. I know a lot of parents have told us they could never teach their kids (school or sports) but we are pretty tight so it works. That said, it would be fun for my daughter and I to join some other ladies for a lesson or even just to ski sometime. Maybe someday we'll live somewhere where we can meet people to ski with but we've been nomads the past couple of years. Part of it is to explore different areas and resorts to see what areas we like the most. I think we have at least 15 resorts on the itinerary this season.

Thanks everyone for the help!

marzNC

Angel Diva
She hasn't but our son wants to try snowboarding so my husband is bringing one of his and plans to teach the kids a couple days to see what they think. He was a snowboarding instructor as well many years ago but mainly prefers skiing himself. My daughter has a decent time skiing but she's not a natural athlete so it's similar to kayaking or MTB where she does it with us and laughs and has fun during the day but if she had the choice, she'd prefer to stay home as she's a homebody and more artistic. We have a good time though.

My husband is more diehard so he doesn't mind skiing the storm days and then we try to pick the nice sunny days for family days. We typically do a few runs as a family where we just ski and have fun and then he may take one of us on a run or two to individually work on some drills and then we'll ski a few more runs as a family. Occasionally he'll spend a day one on one with each of us where it's more lesson focused but he trys to mix in a lot of runs where we just do our own thing so that every day/run isn't a lesson and we can just ski for fun. I've homeschooled the kids since they were little so they are used to us being their teachers and they respond really well to us. I know a lot of parents have told us they could never teach their kids (school or sports) but we are pretty tight so it works. That said, it would be fun for my daughter and I to join some other ladies for a lesson or even just to ski sometime. Maybe someday we'll live somewhere where we can meet people to ski with but we've been nomads the past couple of years. Part of it is to explore different areas and resorts to see what areas we like the most. I think we have at least 15 resorts on the itinerary this season.

Thanks everyone for the help!
Thanks for the info. That helps. I thought you were probably home schooling. Certainly makes it easier to travel during winter months. My father was a professor so my family traveled internationally for more than a month more than once while I was growing up. But in the summer months. Sounds like your husband has a pretty good approach to teaching the family.

Have you noticed the threads about the Taos Ski Week? If you have Ikon passes, it's worth considering. Especially if your husband hasn't skied Taos yet. Possible to do a Snowboard Week as well at any ability level. There will be Divas at Taos in late Jan. I'll be there with other Divas and a few friends in early Feb. After you have more posts, you'll be able to see all the Divas Only threads which include the Meet On The Hill section.

There are Ski Divas all over N. America. For that matter, there are Ski Divas from other continents as well but they don't post as much. There will be some regional threads starting up in the fall. If you let Divas know where you are headed a little in advanced, chances are you could meet up with someone for a few runs. Here's an example of a day I spent with a local Diva at Grand Targhee who I "met" online.

https://www.theskidiva.com/forums/i...and-targhee-powder-days-feb-17-18-2019.23650/

diymom

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I've homeschooled the kids since they were little
Have you looked into homeschool ski groups yet? My youngest is just heading off to college (Maine College of Art in Portland) but homeschooled for the past 3 years. My local hill, Wachusett, has 2 different homeschool ski groups. Through the groups you can either choose for 6 or 8 weeks of day passes at a good discount for the days they meet, a discounted weekday membership, or packages with lessons and/ or rentals.. There's another hill in NH, I'm trying to remember which one, that has a couple of homeschool days each week that are drop in, no advanced sign up needed. Lift tickets for the student and anyone accompanying them are only $25, and I think there were also discounted lessons and rentals available. Two years ago we joined one group at Wachusett, but it wasn't as good of a fit for us. This past year we tried the other group, and had a great time. We went with the discounted weekday passes to have the option to ski on other days if the weather seemed better, but when we went on the homeschool days, my teen had other teens to ski and eat lunch with.

scnelson

Certified Ski Diva
My husband found a freshly tuned/lightly used pair of 154cm Yumis on Ebay which he bought so my daughter and I will have matching skis! I believe mine are 2016. They have reddish tips and blue tails. It will be interesting to try the longer skis and see if I notice much difference. It's nice having the same sized boots as we can swap out skis easily. I'm looking forward to January or possibly December if we make an early season trip up to Canada! Thanks for everyone's help!

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LaurieAnna