• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

Wildcat awesome

snowgem

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Just returned. Conditions incredible for this time of year.:thumbsup: Wide trails with a light covering of corn over hardpack, groomed daily, with only a couple rocks beginning to show thru on the trails that were open. Fast, smooth cruising top to bottom.:ski: Lower parts of trails only a bit cruddy in the afternoon, upper parts just a bit chewed, but still great. Freezing at night, sunny, warm during the days. Best we've ever experienced there.:yahoo: Tickets $39. They say they are planning to stay open to May 2. Really worth it for great late Northeast skiing. We also hiked to lots of waterfalls daily when we stopped skiing. Tuckerman's apparently is still going strong too, with fresh snow last weekend, but we didn't go in. Did I mention how I love it up there?!:wink:

cwmscm

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I have been really hoping to bring my family up there. I've heard that it is beautiful, great skiing and not crowded.

TAW

RachelV

Administrator
Staff member
Oooooh, fantastic. Maybe I can do a day there on Sunday if I get up to Tucks next weekend.

BackCountryGirl

Angel Diva
Thanks for the report. The trails at Wildcat looked fantastic from Tucks. I might head there midweek this week!

tamlyn

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Way Cool, and I thought I was going to have to go to Sugarloaf this weekend. I live on Cape Cod . May 2 is Sugarloafs last day too...unless they get some snow(pray to the snow goddess)
Tami (gravity girl)

MaineSkiLady

Angel Diva
May 2 is Sugarloafs last day too...unless they get some snow(pray to the snow goddess)
Tami (gravity girl)
Correction: Sugarloaf plans/(hopes) to operate through Sunday, May 3. Chance of light snow several times next week at elevation - but countered with rain chances when daytime temps rise. Best day: MONDAY (tomorrow). Will be absolutely, totally quiet up there following Reggae weekend. Next weekend is Randonnee Race to summit and passholders' barbecue, definitely will be open. Lower terrain becoming limited, cover still good on upper mountain.

snowgem

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Was psyched to get some comments abt. the Wildcat report! Just to add a bit, for anyone interested. Specifically due to the location, opposite Mount Washington, Wildcat tends to be colder and the snow stays better and later in the season than most Northeast places, which was exactly the situation last week. Because of that location the views are also awesome, reminiscent I think of out west or Europe, tho less vast! It's not big but has good vertical. Another reason I think it stays open later in the season may be lower upkeep, tho it's maintained ok. The vibes are great - earthy, low key. And then there's the proximity to lots of trails, waterfalls, and the shopping mecca of North Conway! Of course, Maine Ski Lady, Sugarloaf is another absolute great mountian! Then there's Alta. Fav ski places - is there a thread on that?!

ski diva

Administrator
Staff member
Wildcat has been on my list of places I've been meaning to get to. I don't think I'll make it this spring, but definitely next season.

MaineSkiLady

Angel Diva
Wildcat's an awesome place, so glad you hit it up on such a good day! :clap: Yes, incomparable views (regularly makes top spot in views in Ski Mag polls) :D Only time I've ever skied in October was @ Wildcat, which opened for 4 glorious days in late Oct '05 after an early-season 4-footer (and then closed again when it melted). It was outrageous to be skiing among the fall colors, with some trees not even having turned yet! And it was so awesome that they hustled to get it open, off-season! I saw license plates from at least SIX states in the lot.

Love Pinkham Notch (among other NH "notches")(that's "pass" in New England language)....one of the most beautiful places in all of NE.

Yes, the low-key, non-glitz vibe at Wildcat (plus no slopeside lodging due to it being in White Mountain National Forest) is totally my style. :wink:

Sugarloaf is hanging on, with last week's intense sun not doing it any favors. Still 2 more weekends to go!

toughgirl

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I love Wildcat. Never really that crowded and its got that old school ski resort feel. Slopes are curves and some narrow. Fun stuff

snowgem

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Maine Ski Lady - your fall skiing sounds like one of those lifetime top experiences! :drool: Did you take photos? It is the type of place that'd open for a short period. I didn't know Wildcat was rated for it's view, tho duh, for sure! Guess what - I not only had a good day, but was there for the whole week :thumbsup: (Have a time share there to make sure I go up)! Due to not being able to ski all winter am not too strong, but skiied some runs and hiked every day:clap:! The weekend was colder, with flurries, so conditions were wintery in mid-April (Tucks got a half foot of snow - skiers hiking out were beaming)! Mon. stayed chilly with 70 mph winds and limited lifts but skiing was still great (winds another Wildcat and Mount Washington feature), then the rest of the week had bluebird skies with corn over hardpack and warming weather. Oh my. :love:

MaineSkiLady

Angel Diva
Did I take photos....:laugh:
For your viewing pleaure, 10/30/05:
ry%3D400

ry%3D400

ry%3D400

ry%3D400

Glad you had such a good time! :smile: Weather sounds about what it was at Sugarloaf. Last Wednesday was THE Day, and I was out for almost 6 hours.

Some "weather" due in here tonight, could be snow @ elevation, but it will turn on Tues :mad:

snowgem

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Maine Ski Lady - thanks so much for those photos. Fall skiing. Soooo Wildcat! The idea of If I can get it together (and figure out how to) will post a couple from last week! Post abt. Reggae Weekend if you go?

MaineSkiLady

Angel Diva
Check for sticky re: Posting Photos 101, check site info section. Really easy once you get the hang of it. Would love to see pics! Reggae was last weekend, too big of a crowd-draw for my comfort - that's the one weekend when a lot of distance-travelers get up there but once a year. Not for me. However, will be heading up this weekend (70 degrees forecast tomorrow, 60 at elevation!). Grand Finale, for me. Open til 5/3 but may not be worth going at this rate. Melting fast :( Passholders' barbecue Sunday, but probably not skiable to it this year (was last year). Fun event, management does the grilling and serving.

RachelV

Administrator
Staff member
However, will be heading up this weekend (70 degrees forecast tomorrow, 60 at elevation!). Grand Finale, for me

Hey, I'll probably be there on Sunday after doing Tucks tomorrow. Let me PM you my cell # -- shoot me a text or something if you're around.

Edit: Oh - I realize now that you weren't talking about Wildcat, were you? :smile: Oh well.

MaineSkiLady

Angel Diva
Nope, Sugarloaf. Tomorrow is the "Corn to Crocus" summit randonnee race, snowshoe race to the mid-mountain lodge, starts at 6:30 p.m. (:eek:), BKH319 is doing summit race, her DH mid-mountain lodge via snowshoe. Rest of the gang there to cheer them on/party afterward. Sunday is passholders' barbecue.

HOWEVER---you are LUCKING OUT in the weather dept for Tuckerman!!!!! :thumbsup::clap::yahoo: BEST WEATHER OF THE SEASON pending! Be ready to strip layers down to minimum, it's gonna be WARM.

Have a blast! Meeting Pequenita and/or Swamp Dog somewhere along the route??

RachelV

Administrator
Staff member
HOWEVER---you are LUCKING OUT in the weather dept for Tuckerman!!!!! :thumbsup::clap::yahoo: BEST WEATHER OF THE SEASON pending! Be ready to strip layers down to minimum, it's gonna be WARM.

Have a blast! Meeting Pequenita and/or Swamp Dog somewhere along the route??

I *know* -- I even packed shorts! I'm really not sure what to expect on the hike up since it will be pretty early, but yeah, it should be an awesome day. I'm staying with Pequenita & friends, actually, but I'm not sure if there are plans to meet up with Swamp Dog...

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cholinga