• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

Who can help me?

mup1

Diva in Training
Hay everyone!

I'm new on this forum since I've been directed by a man (it's true:wink: ). I have a question for you, I'm looking for a new pair of ski's and I don't know where I have to start! Frist I'll describe myself:

Length: 177cm (5'8" I think)
Weight: about 70 kilo's (155 lbs)
I like to ski on the red and black slopes, off-piste is not really my thing, but you never know. I'm skiing for 15 years (so 15 weeks) and I'm 20 years old.

I had the atomic m2tron 9 series with neox (I don't know the word in English for them, I'm from Holland..:confused: ). They were so incredibly heavy so I'm tired of them and want new ski's. The ones I've been looking so far at are:

K2 burnin luv (saw some good reviews on this forum)
Elan speed or wave magic
Head i XRC 800
Volkl attiva fuego

But I would like to hear some reactions about these ski's and maybe some suggestions for other pairs from you (to make is even more difficult for me:smile: ) And what lenght do you advice with my length and weight?

Thanks for your reply!

pinto

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Hay everyone!

I'm new on this forum since I've been directed by a man (it's true:wink: ). I have a question for you, I'm looking for a new pair of ski's and I don't know where I have to start! Frist I'll describe myself:

Length: 177cm (5'8" I think)
Weight: about 70 kilo's (155 lbs)
I like to ski on the red and black slopes, off-piste is not really my thing, but you never know. I'm skiing for 15 years (so 15 weeks) and I'm 20 years old.

I had the atomic m2tron 9 series with neox (I don't know the word in English for them, I'm from Holland..:confused: ). They were so incredibly heavy so I'm tired of them and want new ski's. The ones I've been looking so far at are:

Elan speed or wave magic
Head i XRC 800
Volkl attiva fuego

But I would like to hear some reactions about these ski's and maybe some suggestions for other pairs from you (to make is even more difficult for me:smile: ) And what lenght do you advice with my length and weight?

Thanks for your reply!

I skied the Head iXRC 1100 in Europe a couple of years ago ... I absolutely loved them on piste. I don't think they make it anymore, but the 800 is similar. I think a 163 would be fine.

Actually, from what I know, any of the skis listed looks like it would suit your skiing; mid 160s in length would be my choice.

lucine

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Elan speed or wave magic
Head i XRC 800
Volkl attiva fuego

I've skied last years Burning and love and found it ---for me --a bit squirrely at speed, I was unimpressed and prefered the lotta love or even the true love over the burning.

I've demoed the Fuego and .....I think I love it.
I'd ask at the shops what length as they seem to have informed opinions and charts for each ski,
I'm also looking at the Nordica Victory.

num

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I've skied last years Burning and love and found it ---for me --a bit squirrely at speed, I was unimpressed and prefered the lotta love or even the true love over the burning.

You prefer the True Luv over the Burning Luv for handling speed without chatter? Or other qualities?

lucine

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
It might be just me or maybe the ski length, but those orange skis kept talking to each other. The true love has a ratio similar to the Recon and to me, seemed to have more control in diverse conditions. I thought the Burning love was great on the frontside turning on groomers or in the smooth/HP bumps, but put any crud or loose stuff under them and they just bounced me around. And at speed I had no great feeling that they would see me through an unexpected drop or rise.
I do not like bouncing, I'd rather cut through the crud.
But.... This is just me, loads of folks love'em It also may be that they were not tuned properly . They were rentals.

Have fun

num

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Cool, thanks for clarifying. I've heard some say that the Burnin Luvs weren't stable at speed, but I'd never heard them compared to True Luvs, usually One Luvs.

num

Ski Diva Extraordinaire

How about the Fischer Vision 70 or 73 in a 158? I haven't been able to try the Speed Magic or Wave Magic, but they certainly seem intriguing.

Jilly

Staff member
If off-piste is not your thing, then I can understand you not liking the Metron anymore. On the Elans - I tried out this years Speed Magic. It's a carver and a speedster. Now it likes to be on edge, so its not a ski that you can relax for any amount of time. The Fisher vision Breeze and the Salomon Rush are some more that you might want to add to your list.

Kano

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
It might be just me or maybe the ski length, but those orange skis kept talking to each other. The true love has a ratio similar to the Recon and to me, seemed to have more control in diverse conditions. I thought the Burning love was great on the frontside turning on groomers or in the smooth/HP bumps, but put any crud or loose stuff under them and they just bounced me around. And at speed I had no great feeling that they would see me through an unexpected drop or rise.
I do not like bouncing, I'd rather cut through the crud.
But.... This is just me, loads of folks love'em It also may be that they were not tuned properly . They were rentals.

Have fun

Interesting reaction -- What you're saying about the Burnin Luvs is exactly why I'm looking at something other than my True Luvs!

Kano

lucine

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Interesting reaction -- What you're saying about the Burnin Luvs is exactly why I'm looking at something other than my True Luvs!

Kano

Isn't it great we can all have different ideas about the same ski.
If we were all alike we would all own the same ski regardless of size, strength, and personality.
Like I said it may have been the particular pair or the length, or maybe I just didn't have a good day that day. or , GASP I may have not been ready for the ski yet. I've been told that you shouldn't buy a ski you are not ready for.
I think the True luv are an all mountain intermediate, the one luv may be more advanced with a front side emphasis and the lotta loves an all mountain advanced, Burning luv; front side advanced.
something for everyone!

SnowHot

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Elan speed or wave magic
Head i XRC 800
Volkl attiva fuego

I've demoed the Fuego and .....I think I love it.
I'd ask at the shops what length as they seem to have informed opinions and charts for each ski,
I'm also looking at the Nordica Victory.
Wow, lucine and I have a lot of similar demo results.
Of the list you have in mind........
Elan speed or wave magic
Head i XRC 800
Volkl attiva fuego
I'd rank the k2 Bl in the same way lucine did. It carves well but has a speed limit. When it reaches that speed limit, it gets chattery.

The Fuego, is a phenomenal ski but may need you to stay on top of it all day. If you're not an advanced skier you may want to reconsider that selection or it may tire you out. If you are an advanced skier, then snatch it up and enjoy!!

I've skied the Elan Speed Magic and Wave Spice(in fact I own both) Of the two, the Wave Spice is my favourite. With the 80 waist and the wave technology, I plow through anything in the path and never lose that stable feeling. Carving and edge to edge is a lot better on these that you may think with a midfat ski. The only area these skis didn't excel is the bumps.
IF you're looking to get away from the weight of the Metrons then the Elans are not the direction you want to go as they are nearly the same weight.

I have not skied the Head you are considering so I can't help you there, but as Lucine has recommended, you may want to look at Nordica.
Of those in the Nordica line, I'd highly recommend the Firefox and the Conquer. Two different ski's with different personalities, but both Phenomenal!!!

back2ski

Certified Ski Diva
Is there somewhere that lists the skis weight on websites, like they do the sidecut and length? It's probably not something they want advertised as so many variables go into it.

mup1

Diva in Training
Thanks for the help! I'm going to ski in a indoor ski next week to try some of the skis you mentioned (even though those circumstances won't be the same (by far) as outside, but is has to do..). I hope I'll find the skis I want, but we'll see. Otherwise I'll have to rent the skis for a year and try different ones on the real slopes. Luckily I did sell my metrons, so someone else can have fun with them (I hope she does like skiing off piste haha).

Again, thanks!

Minouk

Rossi

Certified Ski Diva
Ski Looking

I was looking for reviews on skis and some how I found this site which is great because I am sort of looking for new skis and this site has some good info. I checked out the size chart which was helpful.

I was in the ski shop droping off my skis to be tuned and the owner goes "are you still sking on those old skis" so he showed me some new skis.

I have Rossi Bandits 170 which I love but he told me this is the last year their making Bandits ,the Bandits today have a much more rounded tip then mine, so maybe they are old.

I ski in the East which means hard packed ice,unless you ski the day it snows. Okay it's not that bad,but i won't be needing any deep powder skis.

So anyone have info on the Rossi attraxion v or attraxion XI mutix also looking at the Nordica Olympia Fire Fox XBI. Sales guy said Nordica is making some nice skis.

Just wondering how often do most women buy new equipment?

skigrl27

Ski Diva Extraordinaire<br>Legal & Environmental A
Is there somewhere that lists the skis weight on websites, like they do the sidecut and length? It's probably not something they want advertised as so many variables go into it.

funny you mention that. I emailed Volkl a few days back asking to tell me the weight of their Mantra in 170 vs. their Aura in 170. The so-called "Volkl Guru" emailed back & had no answer for me!! :noidea:

Are you kidding me?? Ummm....like, don't you guys make the skis & stuff??:faint:

Jilly

Staff member
Rossi, Robyn and I ski on Rossi on this board. I'm currently on the Z5, but got to demo both the attraxion V and IX. I really liked IX, but its expensive. And I'm not sure if the arms aren't a "gimmick". They work, but the ski is around $1000.00 here in Canada. That said, mutix arms are going to be on more skis next season. I'll have to check with the rep about the Bandit being deleted. I don't remember him saying anything last time we talked. I'm also on Rossi boots too. Robyn is skiing the V, so I'll let her tell you about them, as she's got lots of time on them.

volklgirl

Ski Diva Extraordinaire

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cholinga