• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

White Mountains, NH

toughgirl

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Hey all... I'm leaving wednesday night to make a long weekend ski trip (sking thurs-sunday, heading home Monday). Planning on hitting Brettons Woods and possibly Attitash and Wildcat.

The websites look like there is plenty of fresh snow and nice conditions. Anyone live in the area or visited any of these places recently.

I'm gonna be in for a shock... It's been so mild in NJ this winter that the shock of feeling 9 degrees (windchill -10) is gonna be rough. :snow:

MaineSkiLady

Angel Diva
Have you skied any of these prior? If so, I won't get into descriptions, as you'd already know. As for conditions, heads up: we have had serious, serious wind issues here that began last night. Whatever loose snow was around is now history. We're likely to be back to scoured ice unless Tues-Wed storm is significant and winds die down asap. It's really too bad - we were in packed pow conditions for over a week.

Also be advised that, given your time frame, all of these resorts are going to be VERY busy: it's the start of winter vacation week for almost all New England and other eastern states (all except NH, I think, which is the following week). You'll beat the crowds on Thurs but they will begin descending on Fri. Saturday will be the busiest day. I'd recommend hitting up Wildcat on Sat, as it tends to have the lower crowd density of the 3. If you want any further descriptions, let me know. I've skied Wildcat and Attitash, but not Bretton Woods (largely an intermediate mountain, from what I've read).

toughgirl

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Thx for the info. I've been to Bretton woods a couple of years ago, and it was a very nice mountain.

As for the crowds, I've been expecting it b/c it's presidents weekend and I'm just a guilty as everyone else planning a trip for the convient holiday. I'm used to skiing the poconos..so i'm used to crowds.

As for wind, even NJ has been hit by it. I hear though that Bretton woods is just in the right location that it doesn't get hit by the crazy winds.

I'm used to the White Mts. crazy weather, since my hubby and I hike there every spring, summer, fall.:fear:

MaineSkiLady

Angel Diva
From what I've heard/read (here, I think?) Attitash has been doing a supremely good job with grooming and snow maintenance this season, under new ownership. Didn't think of that re: Bretton, but its location west of Mt Wash should help keep winds down. Beautiful location. They all are. I think once the wind issues are over, all 3 will be waiting for Tues-Wed snow, and things will hopefully be in great shape. liquidfeet spends a lot of winter time in MWV, you might pm her for recent/updated conditions. If you have not skied Wildcat, definitely put this one on your list. Just a super place, great vibe, old-style New England trails: some narrow/twisty - but Pole Cat is just a great cruise, from summit to base - isn't it around 2+ miles long?? Enjoy, post a trip report afterward!

lv2ski

Certified Ski Diva
Bretton Woods should be in great shape, and the size of the place can handle the W/E crowds fairly well, however, get there as early as possible in the morning if you can. I was lucky enough to ski Attitash on a weekday last week and it was fantastic! They have improved their conditions, however the W/E crowds will make some of the trails scrapey. It has its steeps, great upper intermediate to advanced MTN. The trails are fairly marked though, single blacks are not overly steep, but they have some very steep double-diamonds. Bearpeak is a bit mellower.
I've heard Wildcat is having a tough year. We haven't made it up there yet, though I do love the mountain on a sunny day:thumbsup:
Have a great time!

toughgirl

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Great Conditions: Trip Report

Hey all, just got home from 4 days of skiing in the White Mtns of NH. Wow, let me just say we lucked out w/some crazy amounts of fresh natural snow.

We started out with a day at Wildcat. This was a fun mountain if you like skinny old school ski trails. They had alot of ungroomed too, but thats for experts. We were there on Valentines and it was 2 for the price of one. It was empty and the trails were perfect.

We hit Attitash on Friday and Saturday... Again it was empty, no lift lines at all. The trails were packed powder and I really got to test out my one luvs. Attitash has some really long runs and a good mix of blacks thrown in for those who have friends w/some more guts then me.

We ended Sunday at Wildcat b/c it was my friends b-day and she could ski for free :smile: .. We found out that Wildcat is no fun if it's busy and the snow gets pushed off the trails from traffic and wind.

Monday was RAIN :( ... But if your in the area go check out Attitash :ski2:

snowgem

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
So glad you had a good trip. Wish I had read your post before to maybe make some comments. I love the N. Conway area so much I got a time-share just to ensure I get myself up there every year. One of the features I esp. like about Wildcat is that it is more of the old-style no-frills resort and is a bit steeper. Another fav feature is the wonderful view of Mount Washington. And, glad to hear that conditions were good at Attitash. My Mount Snow pass will work there! So, thanks for your report!

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cholinga