• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

Whistler Coach

Smatty

Certified Ski Diva
Hi all,
I would like to start this new season off right: I’m looking for a coach in Whistler/Blackcomb. I can definitely pay you.
Myself: level 2 instructor, but definitely not progressing from here by myself. I’ve tried the max4 classes, and found them a waste of money. A private instructor through WB is way too much money for me though.

any advice is appreciated!

Jilly

Staff member
Everybody I know works in the snow school. Don't know any independents.

Jilly

Staff member
Something I thought of after I posted....are you a member the CSIA WIS facebook page?

Jilly

Staff member
Yes, because there is a Zoom meeting next week that will be interesting.

Jilly

Staff member
I might have something for you. L4 and he's a boot fitter. Does some private lessons. Somewhere I thought there was a instructor camp that was equal to the NZ one. But the only one I can find is out in Mount Washington, so not close for you.

FayGoneAstray

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Hi
Does anyone know of any great instructors at Whistler for an intermediate? Who might be willing to do private lesson on the mountain (not officially through WB - at almost $1k I'm not convinced it is worth the money and I do not know of 3 other skiers at my level to do the group private). I really need some lessons and currently thinking maybe the North Face women's clinics but want other options... I'd pay the full whack for a private if it truly was worth the price to help me get off the intermediate plateau. I'm not entirely convinced. Thoughts?

Jilly

Staff member
I know a few, but they all work for WB. But I can always ask. I know a guy that only does privates or really small groups. Never know, what they may say.

FayGoneAstray

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I know a few, but they all work for WB. But I can always ask. I know a guy that only does privates or really small groups. Never know, what they may say.
Thanks Jilly - even if they only will go through WB for privates that is fine too! If I did do an official WB private I would would love the names of recommended instructors with excellent reputations rather than just getting a random person by chance! Anyone you who might specialize in helping an intermediate to progress, inspiring confidence and someone who is patient, approachable.

Cantabrigienne

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Hi
Does anyone know of any great instructors at Whistler for an intermediate? Who might be willing to do private lesson on the mountain (not officially through WB - at almost $1k I'm not convinced it is worth the money and I do not know of 3 other skiers at my level to do the group private). I really need some lessons and currently thinking maybe the North Face women's clinics but want other options... I'd pay the full whack for a private if it truly was worth the price to help me get off the intermediate plateau. I'm not entirely convinced. Thoughts?
Hey Fay - I live in Vancouver + have a season pass at WB so I'd be happy to team up with you and do a group private sometime if we can find a 3rd or 4th person to join. (@kiki - any chance that appeals?!?)

I've had *great* sessions with Esta Evans during the North Face womens' camps and think that if we split a private with her, we'd make a huge amount of progress. Aim for her group because she usually does a level 4 of some sort....I downgraded myself to a regular 4 from "spicy" 4 one time because I wanted to make sure I was in her group.....I was in the "spicy" 4 my first time and the few times we all joined up to do some exercises, i thought her teaching style would be effective on me. So the next time I went to camp i went up to her at the breakfast check-in and said I wanted to be in her group.

Cantabrigienne

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I might have something for you. L4 and he's a boot fitter. Does some private lessons. Somewhere I thought there was a instructor camp that was equal to the NZ one. But the only one I can find is out in Mount Washington, so not close for you.
I think you've mentioned Barry before, so I assume you're thinking of the Yes camps: https://www.yesimprovement.com/programs/whistler-ski-instructor/csia-level-3-training/

@FayGoneAstray - Yes offers improvement camps that look like really good value - $750 for a week, which is like one private - so that might be an option if there isn't a NFWC that fits your schedule

Jilly

Staff member
Barry's a great guy. There is also a WB instructor Tim Hunt that I know. I'm checking on 2 ladies, but I have the feeling at least 1 is not heading out there this year. I'll be seeing her the first week of December here in the east. So I don't think that bodes well for teaching at WB this year. The other is just moving permanently to WB this fall.

FayGoneAstray

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Hey Fay - I live in Vancouver + have a season pass at WB so I'd be happy to team up with you and do a group private sometime if we can find a 3rd or 4th person to join. (@kiki - any chance that appeals?!?)

I've had *great* sessions with Esta Evans during the North Face womens' camps and think that if we split a private with her, we'd make a huge amount of progress. Aim for her group because she usually does a level 4 of some sort....I downgraded myself to a regular 4 from "spicy" 4 one time because I wanted to make sure I was in her group.....I was in the "spicy" 4 my first time and the few times we all joined up to do some exercises, i thought her teaching style would be effective on me. So the next time I went to camp i went up to her at the breakfast check-in and said I wanted to be in her group.
Hi def. interested in splitting a private. I'm more a regular or low 4 than a 'spicy' 4!!!! I hope she teachers at some NFWC! I'm up at Whistler likely every Sat from second week of Jan and I have a pass as well.

Those Yes camps look great! I've never heard of them. though I don't know if I can take a week off work just to ski. But tempting...

Jilly

Staff member
Esta is great. I've also had a session with one the YES instructor, I think Syliva(?). I have her card at home, will look it up. Too bad our Mountain XTC isn't teaching anymore. She was really good!

kiki

Angel Diva
Hi all,
I would like to start this new season off right: I’m looking for a coach in Whistler/Blackcomb. I can definitely pay you.
Myself: level 2 instructor, but definitely not progressing from here by myself. I’ve tried the max4 classes, and found them a waste of money. A private instructor through WB is way too much money for me though.

any advice is appreciated!
The ladies camp are a much different experience than max 4, I’d recommend that. Usually 2 days in a row and top notch coaching. They are done 5 times in the season on weekends and if you go to sequential ones they get to know you and can make sure you are pushed to progress with picking the right levels etc

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LaurieAnna