• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

Which NH mountain in December?

gardenmary

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Hey Divas, it's been a while but we are planning a NH leg to our East Coast trip this December (one can only visit with family so much!).

We'll be staying 2 nights in Jackson. We can ski a full day on Dec. 29th and a half day on the 30th. I am an advanced beginner/intermediate skier, and DH & DS are both advanced to expert skiers.

We are considering Wildcat, Attitash, and Cranmore. DH has skied Gunstock before but that looks out of the way. Any recommendations? We'll also take any suggestions for good food and other things to do; we'll be driving up from the North Shore (North Beverly, specifically). Thanks Divas!!!

ETA: We would like to rent in North Conway or Jackson (off mountain), anyone know anything about ski shops in those areas?

WildKitten

Certified Ski Diva
Hi Gardenmary, you're heading to one of our favorite areas, and towards my favorite ski hill, Wildcat. For you there is a nice long green trail called WildKitten (sound familiar?) that's a nice winding trail close a mile long that starts halfway up the mountain. You could ski PoleCat from the top, an advanced green, about three miles long. Most of the blues are groomed so you may be able to ski them from the top. I think your expert DH and DS would enjoy Wildcat over Attitash, and especially Cranmore.

Of course it's hard to say what December will bring as far as available terrain at Wildcat. In December Wildcat relies more on natural snowfall, whereas Attitash has better snow making. In a thin year, especially early, you may need to consider Attitash.

As far as Cranmore? I've never skied it, but hubby has. He describes it's a "nice local hill", good for a "day ski". Smaller than the other two hills. Not a particularly difficult mountain.

In optimal conditions I'd say Wildcat all the way - they also have a million dollar view of Mt. Washington. Check out their website. They usually offer good deals on next day tickets.

We've rented skis for family and friends from Joe Jones in the heart of North Conway, but there are plenty of ski shops to choose from. Wildcat also rents skis/boots.

We have several favorite restaurants in North Conway too. Bellini's - Italian. Horsefeathers - pub food. Mae Kelley's - Irish. Peach's - breakfast food. Try the Red Parka Steakhouse in Bartlett - great steaks.

LindsaySkiGal

Certified Ski Diva
I will be skiing in the attitash area too Dec 29-Jan1! How about other ski resorts in the area such as bretton woods, Loon Mt or others. I'm an upper intermediate/lower advanced. I'm not sure about the rest of the group.

gardenmary

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I will be skiing in the attitash area too Dec 29-Jan1! How about other ski resorts in the area such as bretton woods, Loon Mt or others. I'm an upper intermediate/lower advanced. I'm not sure about the rest of the group.

We just have a few days so we decided to stay on the eastern side. Bretton looks pretty nice though! We are thinking strongly about Wildcat for the full day, but we just noticed Black Mountain so that may be good for the half day too.

Ski Diva, have you skied these and do you have a favorite?

MaineSkiLady

Angel Diva
In Jackson, NH: Jack Frost for demos/rentals
Can also update on conditions as season progresses. Wildcat, due to its higher base elevation, is often a better bet at that time of year -- unless we hit banner year again like we did last December. In which case, everywhere will be wonderful :smile: Cranmore (where I have skied) and Black (have not) are both much smaller than Wildcat. Of all that you mentioned, Attitash probably has the most snowmaking capacity, so if it's a lean-snow December, that would be a good choice -- also has more terrain that would be of interest to you but enough to keep the rest of the family happy.

All are easily commutable from North Conway - Cranmore is practically right in town (a few blocks out). Farthest drive would be Wildcat, north on Route 16. But......what a gorgeous drive.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LaurieAnna