• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

Where's my balance ?

snowsparkle2

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Maybe someone can give me some advice ? The last few times I've been out skiing I've either been totally rubbish & struggling or else completely the opposite, feeling in control & invincible (well in my own little way!). I think (???) that this difference in ability stems from whether I have found my balance or not that day. But it seems to be a total lottery as to whether I can get balanced or not.

On days when things are going badly, I know i'm not supposed to lean back so I try leaning further & further forward - but to no avail, the backs of my skis just skid out.

And on days like that I just wonder " where oh where has my balance gone ? ? ? :Cry:

MaryLou

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
You've hit on the balance issue, I'd also say how low you are also. And it all varies based on snow conditions. So try to pay attention to the conditions when you figure out which stance works for you - can even change from AM to PM the same day. For me - I spend my first run or two figuring this out - some days I feel as though I have 2x4 planks on my feet until I get balanced correctly for the conditions. Also gets certain muscle groups warmed up - it's diff't with heavy crud vs. fast groomer vs. powder. It's trial and error for me.

For the skidding issue, I don't think it's just your balance, but also how/where you apply pressure through your boot to the ski. I found myself going into a skid last weekend on the first run of the day, and just changed up where I applied pressure (still adjusting to new skis) and didn't skid again all day. I can't explain technique well, like others here can, but give me skis and a slope and I'll figure it out lol. Try to zone into your technique early in the day so you warm up nicely and get used to it - which is sometimes tough - I wanna attack my favorite runs and have fun right away b/c sometimes I'll only have 2-3 hours total to ski, but if I don't it's almost a waste.

Edited: Just a thought re: skidding - maybe the skis are not the right ones for you? Other divas will know, but maybe they are too soft or stiff for you?

Jilly

Staff member
Along the track of MaryLou's ideas. Years ago an instructor of mine suggested that your first run of the day should be on moderate terrain. ie the long beginner run. While you moving down the slope, bounce on your skis. Move forward, backwards, up and down. This helps find that balance - centre point, as well as warming up the lower joints. I do this every day, first run. It works great, looks funny, but works!!

snowsparkle2

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Ta for the advise guys:smile: I went out early on my own before meeting up with my mates, and practised feeling balanced on a nice blue run. It really seemed to help actually & gave me more confidence when we got on the steeper stuff. Will try to make it a regular thing - I so often get coerced into starting off on some steep or gnarly run & then suffer for the rest of the day with the 'leaning-back-fear'.

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cholinga