• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

Where to go?

toughgirl

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I'm looking to take a mini trip up to New England (Maine or Vermont) for a Presidents week Ski trip.

I want to know where you guys would Pick as the #1 place to go this season. I have only skied Sugarloaf last year. :snow:

MaineSkiLady

Angel Diva
Don't bother with Sunday River. It's an absolute mob scene over Presidents' Week. Avoid, avoid. Truly. I'm about to post a trip report about how bad it was there today (Sunday). Ugh. If you liked Sugarloaf, you probably would enjoy Saddleback, which is not that far from Sugarloaf (as the crow flies from south to north) - just a different fork in the road. Very retro, laid back place. I think most resorts in NE, however, are going to see their share of crowds over the holiday week. If you can possibly swing going farther, say Canada, you'd see way less crowding, obviously - not a holiday week there (I don't think).

I wonder if Jay Peak gets as busy given how far a drive it is from the NY/NJ/MA area.... Definately stay away from the Southern VT resorts like Stratton and Okemo. I bet Stowe and Smuggler's are pretty crazy-busy too.

liquidfeet

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I guess it depends on what you want to ski -- glades, blue cruisers, steeps, greens, what???

This year Attitash in New Hampshire has fewer crowds than in the past because of a change in ownership and other considerations, but it has the very best snowmaking and grooming in the northeast (unbelievable this year). The weather has also been very generous with us, so the base is deep enough there to withstand New England thaws. So for good on-piste skiing, variable terrain (super steeps, but they are short, a generous learning area, lots of blue cruisers and a big terrain park), and NO crowds, I'd suggest Attitash in the Glen/North Conway area. I have a season pass there and ski every weekend. It's been unbelievable this year, with few people messing up the slopes.

There is an on-slope hotel, plus lots of condos nearby and many bed-&-bfsts and motels in Glen and North Conway. This area is full of restaurants catering just to skiers, with a lively bar scene and so on. Shopping can't be beat if you want outlets, because Conway is full of that stuff. Plus local charm abounds. Check it out.

Jilly

Staff member
I was here at Tremblant last year during President's weekend. We were any more crowded than normal for February. So besides Jay that's an option.

toughgirl

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I guess we are looking for blue cruisers and some steeps for learning. We also need an area for our friend who skis the blacks. I'm very familiar with Attitash, since my husband and I got up to the whites as many times a year as we can (love hiking the presidentials). But I think we were looking for a bigger mountain that had longer runs. :ski2:

MaineSkiLady

Angel Diva
I guess we are looking for blue cruisers and some steeps for learning. We also need an area for our friend who skis the blacks. I'm very familiar with Attitash, since my husband and I got up to the whites as many times a year as we can (love hiking the presidentials). But I think we were looking for a bigger mountain that had longer runs. :ski2:
I think Bretton Woods would fill your requirements quite nicely - it's known primarily as a blue cruising place. There is a new set of runs that just opened there with some blacks, so your friend would be pretty happy. Nice thing about Bretton (I've not skied there, so I'm basing this purely on hearsay) is that they groom beautifully. I think this would be a wonderful "mileage" mountain for you. The views are outstanding, plenty to do beyond skiing in the region. How many days are you planning to be away?

toughgirl

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I've actually skied Bretton Woods before and yes it is a very nice mountain. Don't have the money to stay at the Mount Washington hotel though... but if you ever want a nice place to crash the New England Inn cabins w/jacuzzi tubs and fireplaces are sweet :love: !!!

I guess b/c we are looking for a longer vacation (4-5 days of skiing).. we want to travel a bit further north. We can get to the Whites, NH for a 3 day weekend, so since we have more time to travel I figure I'd hit Maine or Vermont

toughgirl

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
all booked

Ok Presidents weekend seems to be a popular one.. Everything is booked or no packages being offered. The best quote I have received so far is for Mt. Snow... anyone have feedback about this mountain?:confused:

liquidfeet

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I think Bretton Woods would fill your requirements quite nicely - it's known primarily as a blue cruising place. There is a new set of runs that just opened there with some blacks, so your friend would be pretty happy. Nice thing about Bretton (I've not skied there, so I'm basing this purely on hearsay) is that they groom beautifully. I think this would be a wonderful "mileage" mountain for you. The views are outstanding, plenty to do beyond skiing in the region. How many days are you planning to be away?

Bretton Woods is groomed well, always, always, for all the vacationer-terminal-intermediates who ski there and stay at one of the near-by hotels. It is a shallow mountain, with NO STEEPS, and that's never going to change because geology is what it is. The lodge is clean, well-appointed, very nice, the women's bathrooms may still have hair dryers for the women to fix their helmet hair, but for avid skiers who want some challenge it's just not there because the mountain is shallow all over. However,because BW is on the west side of Mt Washington and the Presidentials, it sometimes gets especially good snow. That's great for people who decide on the sput of the moment where to go, but not for people who are planning vacations ahead. For high rollers who are looking for a very nice luxury vacation with all the amenities, it's owned by the people who own the Mt. Washington Grant Hotel, so you can pick up a neat package of a very very nice room with very very nice meals plus a lift ticket for skiing. The views are beautiful from the summits, however, and for my ski club members who have been skiing mostly for 45 years they do go there on occasion for a change, and try to find a nice blue to blast down. But steeps -- no, nothing.

liquidfeet

Ski Diva Extraordinaire

Sunday River may be what you're looking for. It has all those peaks, and they are really different from each other in character. It used to be my favorite resort. You'll find lots of steeps, if the weather permits them to open all the trails. Plus, there are plenty of intermediate blues all over the place. To avoid the crowds, get away from the lifts that are right next to the three lodges. Then you'll find some short lines. When there's a crowd on the mountain, stop along the side and do some people-watching while you catch your breath. Then go down when no one's coming.

And then there's Killington, of course. Do you really want to do that, just for longer runs? Check out why people avoid Killington in other threads.

For long runs, you can't beat Wildcat. Their summit is the highest, and their long runs are the longest in mileage, no arguments there. But, alas, they don't have much money for blowing snow so they are more dependent on the weather than some other places. No terrain park to speak of, thus few snowboarders (Yes!!!), but there are lots of people who have season passes or who buy the Sunday afternoon cheap lift tickets, so it does get crowded, and wind does blow the snow off some of the wide slopes. But they have lots of narrow slopes, and this year it's snowed a lot, so most of the trails are open and full of lovely snow.

But I'm not recommending Wildcat to you for a one-time-during-the-season-with-friends-vacation. Just know it's there if you're in the area. I love that mountain. It has the LONGEST runs in New England because the mountain is so tall; it's a 4,000 footer, and offers great views of Mt. Washington across the road and of Tuckerman's Ravine, and some people say they can see the skiers over there (do I need new glasses??? I sure can't see them!). If you are waiting till the last minute to make your choice, keep checking the trail reports at Wildcat. Their trail reports are honest, which is much more than I can say for any of the other resorts. Steeps at Wildcat, well, no. Bumps, well, really YES! (if it snows....) Old-style New England? Well, you can't get much more old style unless you go to some small tiny place like Black, or Mad River Glen. Some people will never, ever, go to Wildcat because its grooming is notoriously bad when the weather is warm-then-cold. Remember this!

One more push for Attitash.... for steeps, you can't beat Upper Ptarmigan, Middle Ptarmigan, Avenger, Kachina, Idiot's Option, Tim's Trauma, and Tightrope. These trails match any others in the East for steepness. But they are short, granted. (For long steeps, go to Killington or Sunday River.) Which means if you want a bail-out at Attitash, it's not too far down the hill. This year their grooming and snow-making matches anything Bretton Woods offers, and surpasses it. You'll be surprised.

abc

Banned
Ok Presidents weekend seems to be a popular one.. Everything is booked or no packages being offered. The best quote I have received so far is for Mt. Snow... anyone have feedback about this mountain?:confused:

I would advice against it, primarily due to crowds.

For that matter, Killington is also usually super crowded during that weekend. Others can opin on Stowe or Sugarbush.

Usually, Okemo and Stratton are both good for blue cruisers but for that weekend, most of mid and souther VT will be crowded.

MaineSkiLady

Angel Diva
Here's another thought: Whiteface/Lake Placid. Truly fun town. I have no idea what the crowd situation is over Pres Week, but I think it's pretty much de rigor in the Northeast. However, I highly recommend this as an option. Whereabouts would you be traveling from?

toughgirl

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I'm traveling from NJ. Killington and Okemo are rediculously priced for that weekend both $4000 for ski and stay for 4 adults and lift tix. I thought that was much. Mt. Snow is $2000 for the same thing. Stowe is booked except for a hotel room, no lift tix.

Looking to do the Condo thing w/kitchen b/c i have food allergies and it's easier to feed myself. My husband and I go to NH all the time, although not for skiing, so we are thinking Vermont/Maine this trip and then hit NH for a quick weekend.

Jilly

Staff member
You can fly from NJ to Tremblant. New this year. Take a look. It's not a holiday here, except that Ontario has designated "family day" as Feb 18th. But not many families will come for a weekend from Ontario to Tremblant. It'll only be the regulars from Ottawa . Could be a choice!

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cholinga