• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

Where to go skiing in the US and Canada

astridhj

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Hi,

I'm thinking about going skiing for about three weeks in March/April in the US or Canada, and I was hoping for some tips about where to go. Love back country skiing.

Hope you can help me out.

ski diva

Administrator
Staff member
First of all, welcome to the forum! I think you're our first member from Norway. How'd you find us?

Now about your question: What are you looking for in a ski area? What type of skier are you? And what type of terrain do you like? Is easy access important? Is night life/shopping/dining? There are all types of ski areas here, so this can help us figure out what works for you.

astridhj

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I found you when I googled Völkl Aura. Looks like a very neat website you have.

Back to the topic...
I go to the Alps each year to ski, and like big resorts with offpiste access, and black and blue slopes. Like skiing fast, but also playing in the powder. I've never tried park skiing, and not sure I will be doing that this year either.

Shopping and night life is of no importance to me. The skiing is the main thing. If I can rent an apartment for a short time, dining isn't either. But I would really like to visit several places in my short time off. Would love to do a whole season, but out of the question with the job I have at the moment. Maybe later...

Hope this helped a bit.

abc

Banned
The US is a big country (compare to Norway) :smile: So, "visiting several places" can be intepreted in vastly different ways! That's not even counting Canada, which is even bigger!!!

On the other hand, resorts in the US are much smaller compare to those in the Alps.

So, you can stay in one place and ski MANY different resort within driving distance. That would give you a taste of what skiing in the US is like. But that doesn't give you a whole picture of what skiing in the US really is like. To fully sample the whole of N. America, you're talking about a lot of travelling and 3 weeks isn't even close to being enough.

Since nightlight and shopping isn't on your agenda, Salt Lake City would be the first anyone would suggest. It has access to about 10 different resorts within an hour of driving. Alternatively, you could stay in Park City and do the same, with a bit livelier night life. Either way, you're within driving distance (though not day trip) of Jackson Hole. This collection of resorts gives you the best powder and the most challenging terrain this side of the Atlantic!

The drawback is, none of the resorts are very big. You're missing out the mega-resort of Vail/Beaver Creek, and Whistler. You'll also miss out on Tahoe, where the views are priceless, the snowpack phenomanal and some terrain unbelievable!!!

Specific questions? :wink:

Pequenita

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Since nightlight and shopping isn't on your agenda, Salt Lake City would be the first anyone would suggest.

Yup.

If it's possible with your budget, though, I would recommend seeing where the snowfall winds up being this year before committing to 3 weeks in one location. So, maybe do a little research on several locations and then narrow it down once winter really arrives?

I would consider Jackson Hole, WY or Big Sky, MT. Both are stunningly beautiful areas that will give you a flavor of the Western US. Both have great intermediate runs and lots of back country and steeps, especially Jackson for backcountry. Very laid back apres scene as well.

Norway is one of the places on my wish list, always has been. Welcome!

I'm biased, but if you like powder....you could do a LOT of different types of skiing in Colorado/Utah alone!

Colorado could include Telluride, Monarch, Vail, Beaver Creek, Breckenridge, Keystone, A-Basin, Loveland (icy), Winter Park, Steamboat Springs, etc. You could also hit Taos (in New Mexico), which is not a super long drive away. Salt Lake City would be a great place to be and there are MANY short day trips to several locations there!

Welcome to the Ski Diva!

There are great gals here! We're lucky to have you! :clap:

Jilly

Staff member
Skiing Western Canada, would be only 1 resort at a time, except for Banff. Calgal can help us with Banff and interior BC. Whistler is great for a week, but really expensive and now under construction for 2010. As much as I'd like to promote Canada, western US has more resorts that surround one major center. Salt Lake would be my first choice too. Also if you have any problems with altitude, you can stay in Salt Lake and drive out to the higher elevations. (I'm in that state of affairs. I can tell you exactly when you hit 8000 ft)

astridhj

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I know the US is big, and I would love to do a whole season over there, but at the moment I don't have that much time off at the same time. Friends have recommended Mammoth and Whistler to go skiing, but they all do park skiing.

I was thinking of maybe short time renting of an apartment and use that one as a base, and drive out to the different resorts. But need to make a base in an area close to several good ski resorts.

As of small ski resorts, I'm used to that from Norway... The nearest from where I grew up, had two lifts, and one of them was for kiddies...

Live2SkiGirl

Diva in Training
So many choices, so little time

You're getting good tips:

Utah - #1 for powder;
Colorado - lots of choices; Vail, Breckenridge, Copper, A-Basin, Keystone, etc. Can't go wrong.
Canada - I'd try Eastern British Columbia - Fernie, Kicking Horse, Banff. If you have some funds to spare, IslandLakeLodge, or their sister resort, Powder Cowboy, offer fabulous cat skiing in the back country but it's not cheap.

Good luck!

sibhusky

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I know the US is big, and I would love to do a whole season over there, but at the moment I don't have that much time off at the same time. Friends have recommended Mammoth and Whistler to go skiing, but they all do park skiing.

I was thinking of maybe short time renting of an apartment and use that one as a base, and drive out to the different resorts. But need to make a base in an area close to several good ski resorts. ...
Well, then skip Whistler and Mammoth, they're kind of off by themselves. Stick to Summit County, Colorado, or Utah. Those are the best areas to centrally locate yourself and ski a lot of different places.

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LaurieAnna