• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

Where to find intermediate bumps?

marzNC

Angel Diva
Racecourse Saddle at Alta, when left ungroomed
Spring Valley at Alta
Exhibition at Alta (choose skier’s left at the bottom under the lift)
During one of the late season spring break trips with my daughter when she was a tween, her Alta ski school instructor took her class to Lower Sunspot to ski soft bumps. I think that was a Level 6 class, but might have been Level 7 (1-9 levels). The timing has to be just right. That section is in full sun in the spring, which means it softens nicely. But also means that in the mornings it can be frozen solid after a warm day (daytime high in the 40s or higher).

TNtoTaos

Angel Diva
Other favorites:
Agassiz at Bretton Woods
Snake at Bretton Woods
Scarlett’s at Aspen Highlands
Jack of Hearts at Snowmass
Howler at Snowmass
Tell Glade at Taos
Porcupine Bumps at Taos
Racecourse Saddle at Alta, when left ungroomed
Spring Valley at Alta
Exhibition at Alta (choose skier’s left at the bottom under the lift)

A couple of these are labelled Black, but are wide enough to give options for choosing your route down.
And also, at Taos: Maxie's, Shalako, side bumps on Bambi and Honeysuckle, and for a beginner tree run, Japanese Flag Glade.

Christy

Angel Diva
I can think of intermediate bumps at many places I've skied. For instance at Sun Valley there are bumps along the sides of the green runs (which are more like blue groomers) on Seattle Ridge. Maybe it's just a matter of asking an info person or ski patrol as to where easier bumps are in any given resort.

Or some places that get a lot of snow will get bumped out runs in a hurry, and those can serve the same purpose. It's an exaggeration to say I never see corduroy in the Cascades, but, they groom in the evening (and definitely not every inch) then it snows all night, and it gets bumped out in a hurry. It's always been astounding to me how quickly some runs form genuine mogul type bumps. Maybe this doesn't happen where the snow is very dry but they get plenty of it, like Alta.

santacruz skier

Angel Diva
And also, at Taos: Maxie's, Shalako, side bumps on Bambi and Honeysuckle, and for a beginner tree run, Japanese Flag Glade.
Japanese Flag glades is a perfect entry level to tree skiing area. Doubtful a beginner would enjoy but it's quite short and zoom you're out.

marzNC

Angel Diva
Or some places that get a lot of snow will get bumped out runs in a hurry, and those can serve the same purpose. It's an exaggeration to say I never see corduroy in the Cascades, but, they groom in the evening (and definitely not every inch) then it snows all night, and it gets bumped out in a hurry. It's always been astounding to me how quickly some runs form genuine mogul type bumps. Maybe this doesn't happen where the snow is very dry but they get plenty of it, like Alta.
For practicing technique related to skiing bumps, chopped up snow on a groomer can work well.

However, since the issue was brought up by an instructor, the trickier aspect for someone who has to plan months or weeks in advance to travel for a ski vacation is that there is no way to anticipate the snow conditions during the trip. That's what makes Taos and Taos Ski Weeks unusual. There are essentially always easy bumps good for beginners or intermediates. That's true if the snow depth is low or there has just been a big snowstorm, as I've experienced first hand starting in 2017. An instructor teaching an intermediate at most other destination resorts may not have much to work with on a given day.

Based on my trips to Big Sky, I'd say there are always beginner/intermediate bumps there. I wouldn't say that about Alta. Quite interested to hear about the other resorts brought up so far.

MissySki

Angel Diva
I am curious though about those calling out bumps on the sides of trails. How wide of a stretch are we talking? If quite wide, okay.. but many times I see bumps on the side of a trail and it might only be a few bumps wide. That would have been way too intimidating still for me when starting out, and in New England those edges can also get icy or thin cover frequently making it even less beginner friendly. The other obvious green bump runs at Sunday River are under lifts and somewhat narrow.. both things I had to get over to really start practicing more regularly when I initially set my mind to it. It’d be so nice to have a true whole green and blue set aside for bumps. But we don’t really have that.. there has been a short green section at South Ridge bumped in recent years.. so I guess that is a start. It is very short though.

Thankfully there are plenty of side bumps and more advanced terrain full trail bump trails left alone. Which I appreciate now. But some people get really mad if a usually groomed trail is left as bumps. One of the pandemic years, perhaps due to employee shortages, there was a steep trail that is usually mostly groomed left to bump.. I was thrilled! OMG though the amount of backlash comments with people complaining about it on social media that season were incredible! For ONE trail. There are SO many groomers already, but people really latch onto what they are used to I guess..

santacruz skier

Angel Diva
When Diva West was in Tahoe a couple of years ago, I showed several divas some bumps at Northstar that were next to (almost part of) a groomed run on the Lookout Mtn side. Remember @ski diva , @lisamamot , @ride_ski and some others?

TNtoTaos

Angel Diva
Japanese Flag glades is a perfect entry level to tree skiing area. Doubtful a beginner would enjoy but it's quite short and zoom you're out.
And since they lost several trees in the windstorms prior to last winter, there are even less trees in there now, so it's even better as an intro.

TNtoTaos

Angel Diva
I am curious though about those calling out bumps on the sides of trails. How wide of a stretch are we talking? If quite wide, okay.. but many times I see bumps on the side of a trail and it might only be a few bumps wide.
You may remember from Taos, the side bumps on Bambi and Honeysuckle are actually nice little runs, esp for someone just learning or practicing bumps -- most beginners can't really do a really long bump run, so having 20-30 bumps in a stretch is usually enough.

When I'm practicing bumps I've made myself a little bump route, where I can start at the lift and hit all the various intermediate sets of bumps on my way down, then loop around and do it again. If I'm feeling up to it, I can now add some more advanced/steeper bump sections into my loop.

marzNC

Angel Diva
You may remember from Taos, the side bumps on Bambi and Honeysuckle are actually nice little runs, esp for someone just learning or practicing bumps -- most beginners can't really do a really long bump run, so having 20-30 bumps in a stretch is usually enough.

When I'm practicing bumps I've made myself a little bump route, where I can start at the lift and hit all the various intermediate sets of bumps on my way down, then loop around and do it again. If I'm feeling up to it, I can now add some more advanced/steeper bump sections into my loop.
At Taos it also helps to have had lessons with an instructor explaining how to use a small section of bumps to practice a particular skill.

Whenever I see an instructor heading into that type of terrain, I like to stop and watch for a bit. Especially if the group are obviously intermediates.

kmb5662

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Stowe - over on the Spruce Peak side there's a very short non-steep run called West Smugglers that is great for beginners looking to start out in bumps or for anyone that doesn't want to commit to a long and/or steep bump run. It's been 2 years now since I've been to Stowe but when I was there they also had a "terrain based learning area" off on the side of Easy Street that had some small bumps and rollers that are good for teaching/practicing some absorption/extension and mogul related drills

Elk Mountain in PA - There's a small trail called Seneca under the lift (if you don't mind an audience lol) that doesn't have snow making, but if mother nature provides they don't groom it and it often gets some nice soft bumps to play around in

Solitude - Altabird just off the Apex lift. Don't enter at the very top of the run right when you get off the lift but rather ski a bit further down and you can enter the run where it's much less steep and the run flattens out pretty quickly. It also parallels a groomer a short distance further down so if you want/need to bail you easily can

Alta - it's condition dependent as the bumps can get very big but the 180 and Lower Rustler can be good options if the conditions are right. The same can be said for Ballroom- just don't traverse too far out. If my memory serves me correct I also believe Taint and Aggy's Alley also are pretty flat and can get some nice mellow bumps on them

Bonnie2617

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I’ve also had a hard time finding easier bumps to practice on. There are a couple areas at Stratton and Belleayre but they are under a lift, so I’ve chickened out giving those a go.

marzNC

Angel Diva
I am curious though about those calling out bumps on the sides of trails. How wide of a stretch are we talking? If quite wide, okay.. but many times I see bumps on the side of a trail and it might only be a few bumps wide. That would have been way too intimidating still for me when starting out, and in New England those edges can also get icy or thin cover frequently making it even less beginner friendly. The other obvious green bump runs at Sunday River are under lifts and somewhat narrow.. both things I had to get over to really start practicing more regularly when I initially set my mind to it. It’d be so nice to have a true whole green and blue set aside for bumps. But we don’t really have that.. there has been a short green section at South Ridge bumped in recent years.. so I guess that is a start. It is very short though.
My home hill, Massanutten is tiny compared to Sunday River, used to be about 70 acres with 100% snowmaking before they recently added trails on the upper mountain. I started taking lessons related to skiing bumps a couple seasons after knee rehab. Those lessons were with the same Level 3 instructor who helped me get rid of the worst of my bad habits. Learning from an instructor how to best use the available terrain to practice made a huge difference in the long run. There is a short black that isn't groomed once there is enough snow coverage around mid-January. It grows big bumps, 3-4 bumps wide and perhaps 15-20 bumps long. The bumps have nasty shapes for a skier since there are plenty of good snowboarders who are on that trail too. We used it to practice absorption and extension. So definitely not "intermediate bumps" but helpful for intermediates interested in getting better at bumps. Once I learned enough to ski them as bumps, it was enough for practicing based on how my instructor would choose an "easy" line while moving quite slow.

I hear you about bumps under a lift. Took quite a while before I didn't care and could ignore people on the lift. That was one reason I didn't ski Al's Run at Taos from top to bottom even after I knew it wouldn't be a problem from a technique standpoint. By the time I did a complete run, I'd done a short section in a Ski Week lesson more than once, and was always happy when we ducked back into the trees on skier's left.

As for icy conditions in New England, that's another story completely. Trying to ski bumps that are icy is not my idea of fun at all. Since I live in the southeast and have a choice, I do my bump and tree skiing out west. Ironically, even though Massanutten is based on 100% snowmaking, it rarely has completely frozen "blue ice" like New England slopes after a warm spell, rain, and flash freeze.

marzNC

Angel Diva
Alta - it's condition dependent as the bumps can get very big but the 180 and Lower Rustler can be good options if the conditions are right. The same can be said for Ballroom- just don't traverse too far out. If my memory serves me correct I also believe Taint and Aggy's Alley also are pretty flat and can get some nice mellow bumps on them
I've had more than one Alta instructor go past Lower Rustler to 180 during a lesson that had a focus on improving bump technique. But I don't think that would happen with an intermediate.

I could see considering Taint as a blue bump run. I've skied it more as a good place to practice powder turns. I usually go over to Aggie's Alley after a snowstorm. Either by riding the Wildcat slow double or from the traverse from Main Street. Aggie's Alley is quite flat and gets very little traffic when there is fresh snow elsewhere so I've never skied it with bumps.

santacruz skier

Angel Diva
This text is a lot to read. Maybe (looking at you @marzNC ) we need to organize by region, ski area, intermediate bumps....:yahoo:

marzNC

Angel Diva
I haven't been to Roundtop in PA for a while, but there used to be a very small section in the beginner area that had perhaps 4-5 baby bumps if you were headed in the correct direction.

Plattekill usually has a couple trails that are only groomed on one side. An adventurous intermediate would probably be willing to give at least a few bump turns a try. The vertical is about 1000 ft.

Plattekill Feb 2014 - 1.jpegPlattekill Feb 2014 - 2.jpeg

marzNC

Angel Diva
This text is a lot to read. Maybe (looking at you @marzNC ) we need to organize by region, ski area, intermediate bumps....:yahoo:
If you'd like to volunteer . . . :wink:

For me the discussion has been good to help learn that there are intermediate bumps in all regions. Then people can have a sense of what's possible wherever they are likely to ski in the near future. When someone wants to get suggestions for a particular region or resort, better if they create a thread and get current advice.

marzNC

Angel Diva
I’ve also had a hard time finding easier bumps to practice on. There are a couple areas at Stratton and Belleayre but they are under a lift, so I’ve chickened out giving those a go.
That makes me think of Jiminy Peak. There are sections of bumps on both blue and black trails there. It's been several years since I skied there though. I wasn't looking for bumps that much, especially in New England.

Anyone know if Berkshire East has intermediate bumps? I've only skied there under low snow conditions.

kmb5662

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
This is stating the obvious but also if you're unfamiliar with a resort don't hesitate to stop and ask ski patrol or instructors that are out and about if there's anywhere with mellow/easy bumps where you can go and practice. They're usually more than glad to point you in the right direction!

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cholinga