• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

When should children begin to use poles?

ski chick

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I have listened to many opinions from professionals (all different??) Very confused! Thanks for your help.

Jilly

Staff member
Kids will need their poles when they are skiing parallel consistently, heading up the chair and skiing blues. I wouldn't give they any before that.

ski chick

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Thanks Jilly!

I was hoping you would respond. My seven year old has been asking for them and he is doing all that you said and more. Just needed a trusted Diva's opinion. Thanks!

Jilly

Staff member
Any time before this is asking for trouble. The kids will use them as swords, light sabres etc. Not as skiing poles. So get them, and make him pole himself around now - no more being towed my mommy!

Kano

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Jilly -- question on that being towed by mom's poles.

Saw a mom snapping at her musta-been-well-trained-to-grab-mommy's-pole kid this weekend, telling said kid that it was high time she figured out how to skate her ownself to the lift and quit grabbing on, cuz you KNOW how mommy hates that! Kidlet didn't have her own poles to help with the skating process (that's HARD, you know? especially going up a bit!)

If this mom figures kidlet should be "weaned," then should kidlet get to have her own poles?

Kano

Jilly

Staff member
Skating without poles is next to impossible at "kidlet" age. They don't have the muscle strength or possibly the co-ordination to do it. Mom is trying to wean off and the child may not be physically ready. I'd have to see the child to know. If the kid can skate then maybe its time.

Kano

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
In this case, the poor kidlet wasn't skating, she was managing, but not skating, and mom's attitude wasn't fun. That delightful incident occurred about the time I started thinking it HAD to be lunch time! There were tantrumming yardsaled kids strewn all over the run I'd just come off, with moms in not much better shape, for the most part.

(it was also around the time I'd managed to hunt DH down to let him know I was headed in to pee -- which was, it seemed, a horrible imposition on HIM. I got this look from him: :mad2: He needed some lunch too!)

Kano

Jilly

Staff member
Well that was another thought. That would be about the time that my mother started spelling things. Somebody's T I R E D!! Thinking back I'm not sure if it was me or her!! More likely her.

MaineSkiLady

Angel Diva
Poles---I think we relented when he was around 8??? The weird thing is that the kids become aware and self-conscious of not having them after a certain point and start "clamoring." Many little (or maybe not so little?) tiffs about that here!

marge

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
My daughter just got poles this year (after MUCH begging) and while we were recently in CO she realized that mom can't slingshot her or help her along when she has her own poles to hang onto! :thumbsup: They are nice in the liftline though. :love:

Any time before this is asking for trouble. The kids will use them as swords, light sabres etc. Not as skiing poles. So get them, and make him pole himself around now - no more being towed my mommy!

For EXCELLENT pole techniques...please see film of NVG :ROTF: (smallest skier) in 1969!!! She TRULY is the Queen of Poles! (and we're talking at about 3-4 years old here). :ROTF: This was at the base.

On the hill, though, dad carried our poles most of the time! It was easier to "touch our knees" without them, and master the snow plow and parellel thingy, but then we had them when we needed them again because dad carried them! I love my parents! Gave me the joy of the sport SOOOOOOOO early! :love:

[MEDIA]https://s170.photobucket.com/albums/u267/kellyincolorado/?action=view&current=7a6df326.flv[/MEDIA]

cwmscm

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
so funny how my kids beg for polls. My seven year old just started using polls and my four year old is so jealous. Because they did not learn with polls they are both great skaters on skis. Much stronger skills than me.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LaurieAnna