• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

What's your source for book buying?

SnowHot

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Pequinita posted about being on a list for borrowing a bood from the library.

The books I have, were mostly bought at either a book store or on line.

My biking buddy just came back from good will with a selection of books (good books) which she bought for an average of 30 cents a piece.

Where do you get your reading material?

ski diva

Administrator
Staff member
The library is good. But I'm also a big fan of independent book stores because they really care about books and are staffed by people who do (unlike most of the big box stores). Plus they usually have a greater selection of titles than Borders or Barnes & Noble, and often have terrific in-store events, such as author readings. You may pay a little more, but I think they're worth supporting.

One of my favorites is Northshire Books in Manchester Center, VT. They've won all kinds of awards: Publisher's Weekly's Bookseller of the Year and Yankee Magazine's Best of New England. If you're ever in the area (they're on the way to a lot of VT ski areas), check 'em out.

Jilly

Staff member
Alot of books I buy at Costco or Chapters (like Barnes and Noble, but Canadian). But I do frequent the local independant for those unusal things like Lisa Marie's book. And since the new owner is my neighbour I really want her to succeed, so it off to downtown instead of the box store. Also between family and friends we quite often swap books around. I can't say that I've been to the library here in town, but someday I'll get there.

Ski Spirit

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
The library is a great source but I seem to have trouble controlling my schedule and am not able to take advantage of all of the good books available. I do a lot of bargain shopping on line. For books, I'll go to Amazon.com but then I usually don't buy new books from Amazon directly but look at the used/new selection from other sources that they have available. I won't hesitate to buy a used book and have been extremely happy with the price drop/book quality.

altagirl

Staff member
One of the coolest websites I've ever found:

www.paperbackswap.com

You post 9 books that you own and would be willing to send to someone else (you pay postage - at $2.65 each). Then you immediately get three credits to order books others have posted. There are over 1.3 million books on there to choose from, and if its not there you can put it on your wish list, so it automatically requests it when someone posts it. You get another credit to order more every time someone receives a book you sent to them.

I've only been on there for a month or so, but have mailed off two books and recieved three and have one more on the way. Really cool concept, and it makes me feel good too that instead of sitting on the shelf for the next decade, books I've read are off to someone else that wants them! :D (And it's cheap!)

ski diva

Administrator
Staff member
That's a great idea for every book except Finn (when it comes out in paperback). That's one book you HAVE to buy -- we need the royalties for new ski gear! :D

Ski Spirit

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Altagirl--- great tip! Just as said....sounds super cheap and the books
circulate!

Thanks!

I think I am a library snob. I like to read a book that is crispy, clean and new! ALL mine! (I also then know that it hasn't been read in somebody's bathroom! :D ) Thus....I have a BIG library in my home! (Where reading in the bathroom is encouraged!)

I like small independent bookstore. They are so kind there and will order pretty much anything for you. I like to support the small privately owned business....expecially old ones that have been in families for years.

If it is a REALLY expensive book or textbook.....I fess up! I usually try to find it on ebay or Amazon (if I want it new!)

altagirl

Staff member
I think I am a library snob. I like to read a book that is crispy, clean and new! ALL mine! (I also then know that it hasn't been read in somebody's bathroom! :D ) Thus....I have a BIG library in my home! (Where reading in the bathroom is encouraged!)

I like small independent bookstore. They are so kind there and will order pretty much anything for you. I like to support the small privately owned business....expecially old ones that have been in families for years.

If it is a REALLY expensive book or textbook.....I fess up! I usually try to find it on ebay or Amazon (if I want it new!)

Haha. Okay, for YOU - they also have a sister site that's for CD's. You can get credits on the paperbackswap.com site that you can use to get used CDs. So if you have books you don't need to keep after you've read them, you can send them to other people and use your credits for free CDs.

I used to be a total book packrat. I just liked having shelves and shelves of books... like decorations in the living room. And I always had that... "I might, someday, for some reason want to read or reference this book again" thought in the back of my mind. It's taken me a while, but last time we moved I finally packed up about 3 big boxes of books I knew I'd likely never read again (most had been in a box that never even got unpacked in the 2 previous moves) and dropped them off at Ronald McDonald House. And it felt super good (and I haven't missed a single one!) And then when I saw this site, I really like the concept. Because I know each book is going to someone who specifically wants THAT book, not just a random donation where it may or may not ever get read. And I'm helping save a tree because someone who wants it now doesn't have to buy a new copy.

Anyway, you totally made me think of the Seinfeld episode with the book George took in the bathroom and he can't get rid of it. When you register a book you want to swap on paperbackswap, they ask you if there is any water damage at all, if it's overly worn, if the cover is torn, etc. Maybe they should ask you if it's ever been in the bathroom.. ;)

I do agree with you though that there's a small independent bookstore nearby and I do like supporting them. Certainly not everything is available for swapping, and I'm all for supporting the little guy too. :D

num

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I'm a total book junkie, soI frequent the public library (which is a member of several intercity exchanges, which I love). As university faculty I get access to academic libraries nationwide with long term loans. I tear up the libraries at various schools around here.

As far as buying goes, I'm lucky to be in a neighborhood with 7 used and new independant bookstores and 2 chain stores within walking distance. Three of the independants are my favorites in the area, and I buy mostly from them, though I do grab stuff from the Borders' bargain section from time to time.

Other than that, it's usually independant used book stores around the city and thrift stores, which have some great finds sometimes.

sibhusky

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I grew up in a house that had a three story library with rolling ladders, so I have been a book junkie since I was a tot. My father knew every used book shop on the eastern seaboard. And when he died recently, some of the $2 books he picked up sold for $12,000. He was a true lover and collector of books.

I, on the other hand, like my books NEW. So, I am dangerous in ANY bookstore, and if I had the funds, I'd need to shop with a cart anytime I set foot in a store. Many will be sad to hear this, but I am practically a founding member of Amazon and they used to send me Christmas gifts! (Now that they have made the big time, of course, that has stopped.) The nice thing about shopping there is there are fewer impromptu discoveries of books. I buy the book I was looking for, a few suggested additional books, but I don't end up in "other aisles" for the most part, so it saves me money.

That being said, I do love our local bookstore as a source for local authors and local hiking/boating/fishing/rafting books and maps.

When we moved here, we donated boxes and boxes of books because my husband didn't want to pay to move them all. He made me give up out all my mystery and spy novels, several hundred of them. Drove me crazy to do this. The new house has built-in shelves in the kitchen (for cookbooks - five shelves), the bedroom (not full yet, this is where I keep my "pending" books), the office (naturally, for all that work related stuff) and a library (not remotely three story and no ladders required). After four years here, the shelves are needing less and less dusting as the books fill them up.

We had a used bookstore a few years back which was largely populated with stuff I've already read. A new one has opened which I haven't visited yet. I also took a number of my father's books before we disposed of his library. (Like having a FREE used bookstore!)

Summing up, I mostly frequent Amazon, but no bookstore is safe from me.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cholinga