• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

Question: What's your favorite seasonal music?

whitewater girl

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
O.K....the holidays made me do it...

What's your favorite seasonal music?

mine is the "Celtic Christmas II" CD, with Kim Robertson on Celtic Harp & Virginia Kron on Cello

(I believe you can sample the album here - https://cdbaby.com/cd/kimrobertson4 ...I can't test it 'cause my dial-up connection stinks!)

itri

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
My two favorites are John Denver and the Muppets (seriously, love it) and Barenaked Ladies Barenaked for the Holidays. BNL's version of God Rest Ye Merry Gentleman with Sarah McLachlan is fantastic.

Toucan

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I like just about any of the holiday tunes in their original forms. I don't much care for the "jazzed up" versions some artists release. The one exception is the Transiberian Orchestra...there's just something about their sound that is robust, powerful, and fun all at the same time. Diva Daughter saw them in concert and was amazed and inspired!

tinalee123

Diva in Training
I have a fairly extensive "Holiday Tunes" playlist on my iPod (300+). I'm in charge of music for our office party, and family holiday parties. I've always loved Mannheim Steamroller, just started getting into Transiberian.
But, I'm with you, Toucan, I really enjoy the originals. My cell phone has got "Have Yourself a Merry Little Christmas", this one done by Luther Vandross...oh my, he's fine!
Another all time favorite is an odd couple: Bing Crosby and David Bowie doing "Peace on Earth/Little Drummer Boy". It's very sweet.

Telluride Ski Babe

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Mine is the music I grew up on...the Robert Shaw Chorale (all of their albums) and Amahl and the Night Visitors (a Carlo Menotti operetta). When my sisters and I were young, we would lip sync the entire operetta in the living room...my eldest sister would be Amahl, my middle sister would be the mother, and I was everybody else. :D

whitewater girl

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Mannheim Steamroller comes in close behind my harp Christmas CDs...I love the way they do "Veni Emmanuel"

...ooo - it IS time to pull out "Ahmal"!

Telluride Ski Babe

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Another all time favorite is an odd couple: Bing Crosby and David Bowie doing "Peace on Earth/Little Drummer Boy". It's very sweet.

OMG! I saw a video clip of this yesterday and nearly fell off my chair laughing...it is sweet, but Bowie looks SO young and just not the stylish dude he became. (I assume this was still from his Ziggy Stardust days...just TOTALLY toned down for network TV?)

Jilly

Staff member
Barenaked Ladies Barenaked for the Holidays. BNL's version of God Rest Ye Merry Gentleman with Sarah McLachlan is fantastic.

Good Canuck music there eh!

I like just about any of the holiday tunes in their original forms/QUOTE]

Me too!

I consider it a classic now!!

Transiberian Orchestra

I want to see this one too!

itri

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Good Canuck music there eh!
Those Canucks sure do music right. :wink: BNL is my all-time fav, love Alanis, and a Canadian tennis player in college got me hooked on the Tragically Hip (although H HATES 'em). :becky:

Back to topic, though, a couple more favorites...the soundtrack from A Charlie Brown Christmas (LOVE the piano stuff from Vince Guaraldi Trio), and we also have a Billboard compilation cd that is songs from all the Christmas specials over the years...everything from the Grinch to Rudolph and Frosty. It's a great trip down memory lane.

Jilly

Staff member
Oh, Tragically Hip are local boys!! Kingston!

I really like the classical versions of most carols.

Bing Crosby's White Christmas. It isn't Christmas eve without it.

Arlaquinn

Certified Ski Diva
I like Willie Nelson Chritsmas songs....and if you have not discovered this website yet, it is awesome for free music streaming,.....check it out
www.pandora.com
you can add your favorite channels and do a quick mix......
I love the Christmas Rock channel

Robyn

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Call me traditional but my all time favorite carol is Carol of the Bells followed by The Christmas Song (Chestnuts Roasting on an Open Fire) and Silver Bells.

Shannon D

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I like Willie Nelson Chritsmas songs....

I thought I would be the only one. Pretty Paper is my favorite Christmas album of all time!!!

My dad listens to country music, so we always listened to country music albums on Christmas morning. Willie Nelson, Alabama's Christmas and George Straight's "Christmas Straight to You" are my favorites.

Edit: I would like to note that I generally do not listen to country, so this is out of character for me.

PNWSkier

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
My all time favorite is The Carpenters Christmas Portrait. As a child my mother played this record over and over again throught the season. Now I listen to it over and over again. It just brings back so many childhood memories.

SnowDancer

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Right there with you, Robyn - my favorite traditional song is Carol of the Bells.

For fun, I always enjoy hearing "Christmas Wrapping" by The Waitresses.

Kiragirl

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I was just listening to the Three Irish Tenors "Home for Christmas," and also Handel's Messiah. Bing Crosby and Charlie Brown, of course, and any ole Christmas cassettes I pick up here and there. Brass quartets are nice, too.

michpc

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I don't have one song or album I can point to. But every year my family goes to the Christmas Revels (https://www.revels.org) and there are certain songs that they sing every year and those are certainly a high point for me. I've been going for 20 of my 24 years.

Slidergirl

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I have the Manheim Steamroller Christmas cds and one from TranSiberian Orchestra. Always good.
I used to be in a choir in So. Cal. when I was younger. We got to do the Singing Christmas Tree at Disneyland several times. Got to learn those good chorale arrangements of the classics. Any of those are great when I hear them.

abc

Banned
Call me old fashioned. My all time favorate is the "Silent Night". And I prefer it the "normal speed", not the super-slow one that's often played on radio.

But hoenstly, I'm so glad we're over Christmas now. I drive with the radio on and all I got was Christmas music for 2 full months! They started playing some as soon as Holloween was over and by Thanksgiving there's nothing else but Christmas music!!! I enjoyed it the first 2 weeks and then I started to get really, really sick of it by the time it's finally Christmas... :(

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LaurieAnna