• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

What's with no socks?

ski diva

Administrator
Staff member
I saw a woman putting on her ski boots with NO SOCKS yesterday in the lodge. What's with this? Anyone know, or is she just clueless?

Abbi

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Or she forgot hers and just decided to go barefoot vs buying more or going back for hers. But yeah .... ICK!

Jilly

Staff member
I had a Swiss friend that insisted on no socks in his boots. But he did spray his feet with deodorant before he put on his boots......Still....yuck.

sk8ski

Certified Ski Diva
Not skiing - but there was a time that I ice skated without socks. My boots at the time were so tight - that fraction of mm seemed to make a difference!

newboots

Angel Diva
When I played hockey, we wore super-thin hockey socks ($$), nylon knee-highs, or went barefoot in the skates. Anything bulky would cut down on your control, and the boots had to be tight, as @sk8ski said above. It does give you amazing control.

I somehow didn't realize that skiing would be the same, and my boots were fitted with "light" socks, not ultra-thin. My next pair will be with ultra-thin, or ultra-light, whatever they're called.

In ice hockey, sweating into your equipment is inevitable. It's not just the skates. I never noticed a big problem with my skates smelling. However, one is opening a reeking hockey bag in a tiny locker room with 15 other women, each of whom has her own reeking hockey bag. It's possible I never noticed. . .

Jenny

Angel Diva
I've forgotten socks before and taken the new never washed socks option. But then I don’t go barefoot in shoes, either.

sk8ski

Certified Ski Diva
Anything bulky would cut down on your control, and the boots had to be tight, as @sk8ski said above. It does give you amazing control.

I don't know if it was just mental, but I did always think that barefoot felt like my foot "melted" into the boot and gave amazing control, indeed.

I somehow didn't realize that skiing would be the same, and my boots were fitted with "light" socks, not ultra-thin. My next pair will be with ultra-thin, or ultra-light, whatever they're called.

Luckily I'm so used to that super snug fit of figure skating boots, I got fitted for ski boots with the same tights-weight nylon trouser socks that I wear skating. I may be a very mellow skier, but my boots probably are closer to a racer's fit than someone who skis just a few times per season.

Interesting that in skating, barefoot is not mainstream, but is not totally unheard of - seems like in skiing it is very rare, perhaps due to environment.

Last edited by a moderator:

VickiK

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Re: new, never-washed socks, are you thinking someone has already tried them on? That really never occurred to me. I'd never try socks on, they always fit. I wash sheets before using, but not anything else unless there's a specific instruction.

Of course now that I'm thinking of it, I can't stop thinking about it.

Jenny

Angel Diva
Re: new, never-washed socks, are you thinking someone has already tried them on? That really never occurred to me. I'd never try socks on, they always fit. I wash sheets before using, but not anything else unless there's a specific instruction.

Of course now that I'm thinking of it, I can't stop thinking about it.
Not that someone else has tried them on but of all the places they have been. Factory, shipping, warehouse, etc. I wash just about everything before wearing/using it.

I also won't use a hotel pillow. It's bad enough I have to sleep on the mattress!

vickie

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I'm thinking more about the supply chain processes too -- the dyes, the chemicals, the filth. Socks are one of the few items of clothing that I assume people don't try on in stores.

I too wash almost everything before wearing or using them. Bought a new comforter a couple of weeks ago. First thing I did was wash and dry it according to directions. That ruined it, so it got returned.

Jenny

Angel Diva
I'm thinking more about the supply chain processes too -- the dyes, the chemicals, the filth. Socks are one of the few items of clothing that I assume people don't try on in stores.

I too wash almost everything before wearing or using them. Bought a new comforter a couple of weeks ago. First thing I did was wash and dry it according to directions. That ruined it, so it got returned.
We got the new comforter but put it into a cover, which I washed first. I wanted to do the comforter, too, but the hassle factor won out so I contented myself with the magical cover which will somehow be impermeable to anything that might fall off the comforter and yet also breathable, so I don't overheat.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LaurieAnna