• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

Question: What would you do? (Broadly: 100% Steamboat for the week or fit in another mountain?)

linesout

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Hi Divas,

Today we're trying to figure out lift tickets for our upcoming trip to Steamboat in January (1/25-2/2) with my family. This will be my boyfriend's first trip out west after a sudden death in his family forced him to cancel his trip last year, so it's been a long time coming. When I asked how many lift tickets we should buy for Steamboat, he asked whether I'd be interested in doing a day trip to another mountain.

I am leaning toward "No it doesn't really make sense", but I'm wondering what you guys think. Here are some salient details:

1. At Steamboat we have FREE lodging at a beautiful townhouse that is about a five min walk to the Gondola (!!!! I know, so lucky). So anything more than a day trip would cost money for lodging vs. zero cost at SB.
2. BF has never been out west, and he is a snowboarder that has never taken a lesson but does well on blues, blacks and has recently ventured into and really enjoyed hospitable tree runs in the east (Blind Ambition at Sunday River, Banshee and Echo Woods Glades at Cannon). I really want him to take a lesson this year to get a handle on bumps and make sure that his overall technique is right. Right now he has no concept of how to be skiing bumps and finds it really difficult and taxing, based on experiences when I dragged him onto Quantum Leap at Sunday River :smile: I am zero help b/c my entire bump technique relies on poles haha.
3. Right now I'm planning to fly into Hayden and take the shuttle to the townhouse. No current plans to rent a car. Winter Park and Vail/Copper/Breck etc are both roughly 2 hours away by car; BF pointed out that that is theoretically a shorter ride than the day trips we've done from Boston to Gunstock or Cannon. Driving is a hassle though, and a shuttle from Steamboat to Eagle/Vail is probably really expensive. Also I've heard parking at Vail is a ripoff, not sure about the rest of Summit County.
4. As much as I would like to explore another mountain in CO, I'm not obsessed with super steep trails and neither is he. So I'm not sure what kind of additional terrain we'd be going to all this trouble for vs. the excellent trees and bumps available at Steamboat. Are bowls and the like really unmissable?
5. However, we do have the whole week, so maybe it makes sense to split our time a little bit. My family is planning to fly out Saturday the 1st, so we could theoretically drive to WP/Summit County that day (or Friday night if advisable), ski Saturday, then fly out from the airports there on Sunday the 2nd without missing any time with my fam, only paying for 1 night (or 2 if leaving Friday) of lodging in the process.

So what do you guys think? Is my argument that it's not worth trying another mountain sound? Or should I really be branching out to explore other mountains out there (and if so, which one should we go to)? We haven't booked our flights yet, so we can go either way.

Hopefully I can go into this discussion armed with plenty of informed evidence!

Thanks for humoring me while I'm going through some work downtime :smile:

bounceswoosh

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I would stick to Steamboat. If you want a sampler platter vacation, do it with several resorts that are close to each other. Steamboat is farther from other resorts, very nice, and huge. You can come back another trip and ski resorts that are closer together.

Yes - two hours is less than you would be driving from home to go skiing - but that's one of the reasons you're doing a vacation trip in the first place!

Moonrocket

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I agree that you can easily enjoy a week at Steamboat. Maybe don't buy tickets for one day and if you're Jonesing to ski take a day trip and if not head to the hot springs? Or go Nordic skiing or snowshoeing. That way you have some flexibility.

linesout

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Yeah, and the lift ticket deals at Steamboat basically encourage that - you buy 5 lift tickets to use over 7 days, or 4 to use over 5, etc.

Marigee

Angel Diva
Steamboat is large enough that you could spend a week there and not get tired of skiing the same place. It is known for great tree skiing and you can ski the "same" tree run all day and it will feel different each time you ski it. I will be in Steamboat 1/22 - 1/28. Feel free to PM me if you'd like to meet up for a few runs.

abc

Banned
Tell him not to be too greedy! ;-)

I second (third?) the suggestion of buying one less days than your stay. But not to drive 2 hours each way to another mountain though: don't forget western mountains are HUGE compare to your home mountain, so a single day to another mountain you wouldn't see half of it!!!

To leave a day unfilled, you can go x-c skiing, snowmobiling, or just take a slow day and go soak in the hot springs (or combine snowmobiling with soaking in the hot spring)...

NewEnglandSkier

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Another one who thinks sticking to Steamboat is a good bet. Since it's farther out from other mountains, you'd have to drive a fair piece and if it's storming I'm guessing getting out or in could be a factor--and since the other resort would just be a day trip, seems like it could be a headache.
I'll be there too Jan 30 and 31!

volklgirl

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
It easily takes a full week or more to really "do" Steamboat, so I'd stick there. However, if you want a change of pace and somewhere really laid back, take one day to explore Solvista Basin at Granby Ranch. It IS only a day trip and a fairly short drive. I'll echo the suggestion to take one day off. Check out the scene downtown, hit up Strawberry Springs (WELL worth the trip), and have a bite at one of the best Italian restaurants I've ever been to at Mazzzola's - they have an Eggplant Parmesan that is to-die-for!

Sherr630

Certified Ski Diva
I completely agree with all of the above and think your opinion is totally valid... steamboat is huge compared to Cannon or Sunday River, plus its super far away from any other resort. Like everyone said, buy a 6 of 7 or 5 of 7 day ticket so you can have "the option" of going some place else... most likely your bf will be too tired and not as interested in doing so by the end of the week ;)

linesout

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
That's a pretty astute observation, vickie - points for reading subtext :smile: I will check with him, but given that the question was actually phrased like "Do you think your fam might be amenable to spending the day at another mountain?", seems like he's okay with having them around. What a keeper.

I'm feeling confident that we should stick to Steamboat. I agree that you can go a week without skiing the same trail twice (although so many of them are so amazing that they demand an encore or two!). Plus now maybe I can buy BF a lesson and go off with some Divas to do the trails that he's not up for ;-) and maybe even the ones that I'M not up for, hahaha.

MaineSkiLady

Angel Diva
Sounds like "the verdict" is in, with which I agree (did 5 days there many years ago) - AND there will be a diva mini-meet up as well! :thumbsup:

VickiK

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Yeah, I agree with all above. Steamboat's not real close to any other mountain and is big enough to merit a week to itself. From everyone's feedback it sounds like there flexibility and options for other activities too.

Jerez

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Agree with the idea of going snowshoeing or cat skiing one day.

Steamboat powder cats has a "beginner powder" option. and your BF would be at an advantage with the snowboard.

Yampatika Nature preserve offers all kinds of snowshoe tours with a local naturalist, or by moonlight. I did a custom day tour for cheap with a friend a few years ago and it was a highlight of my trip.

vetski

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
and have a bite at one of the best Italian restaurants I've ever been to at Mazzzola's - they have an Eggplant Parmesan that is to-die-for!

I love Steamboat, so I am biased......but Mazzola's is a MUST. I've been thinking about it since I left last year. I fly in on 01/10/14 and I will be there the that evening :smile:! Looove great food.

MaineSkiLady

Angel Diva
Well, with 3 members there at overlapping times....they might well be able to gather for at least part of a day/apres/something??

annetteski

Certified Ski Diva
A lot depends on the snow. Rabbit Ears Pass is beautiful, but if you don't have a car there's plenty to do around Steamboat. Next time, consider a road trip. It's so much fun to compare areas. Winter Park has great terrain, but the last few years it seems like Steamboat has been getting more pow.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LaurieAnna