• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

What is your favorite powder/off-piste skis?

Mudgirl630

Angel Diva
So, now I am thinking about getting a new pair of powder skis.
Say somewhere between 96 to 102 or so.
I had Volkl 100Eight. Meh. I got rid of them last season.
They were a bit too much. Unless the snow was light and actual powder, they got so heavy if they got some snow stuck on them.

What is your favorite pair for back country/powder/off-piste?

Thanks!

skibum4ever

Angel Diva
@Mudgirl630 I have two pairs of Nordica Wild Fires in good condition. They are excellent skis but I probably won't ever ski them again.

Attached is a picture of all the specs. PM me if you are interested.

Barbara

IMG_20220901_121414978.jpg

marzNC

Angel Diva
I've enjoyed demo'ing DPS skis at the Alta Demo Day in April for a while. Also had experience renting DPS skis when I caught a powder storm a few times. When the opportunity came up to buy DPS Zelda skis from a Diva, I went for it. Especially since the powder skis can live in NM with my ski buddy who drives for our ski trips out west.

I've skied the Zeldas in deep powder and on days when about half the skiing was on soft groomers. One reason preferred the Zeldas over the Yvette was that the Zeldas did better on groomers. Of course, DPS keeps evolving their skis so what they are selling now won't be exactly the same.

I'm petite, over 65, and became a solid advanced skier after age 50. Didn't start getting deep powder experience until about 10 years ago.

Elizabeth.I

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
So, now I am thinking about getting a new pair of powder skis.
Say somewhere between 96 to 102 or so.
I had Volkl 100Eight. Meh. I got rid of them last season.
They were a bit too much. Unless the snow was light and actual powder, they got so heavy if they got some snow stuck on them.

What is your favorite pair for back country/powder/off-piste?

Thanks!
To directly answer your question, my favourite powder skis are my Moment wildcats but they are much fatter than you're looking for.

I don't have experience with these skis specifically but I've heard very good things about the Nordica enforcer 100 or nordica Santa Ana 98 (more so all mountain skis than pow skis tho), salomon QST Stella 106 (friend has them and loves them), moment Bella 108 (skinnier wildcat). Blizzards Sheevas or Rustlers are very fun skis. I used to have the Sheeva 11s before changing to the Wildcats. I've heard good things about the WNDR 110s too. I'm not surprised you didn't like your volkl 100eights for pow. They're more chargey than playful and floaty!

I'd be hesitant to get a backcountry ski to dedicate for in bounds powder because after a few runs it's going to become chop and then light backcountry skis will get deflected in the chop which is always annoying. Of course, if you intend to backcountry ski with them then it makes sense to get a backcountry ski. My suggestions are just full alpine skis!

Mudgirl630

Angel Diva
To directly answer your question, my favourite powder skis are my Moment wildcats but they are much fatter than you're looking for.

I don't have experience with these skis specifically but I've heard very good things about the Nordica enforcer 100 or nordica Santa Ana 98 (more so all mountain skis than pow skis tho), salomon QST Stella 106 (friend has them and loves them), moment Bella 108 (skinnier wildcat). Blizzards Sheevas or Rustlers are very fun skis. I used to have the Sheeva 11s before changing to the Wildcats. I've heard good things about the WNDR 110s too. I'm not surprised you didn't like your volkl 100eights for pow. They're more chargey than playful and floaty!

I'd be hesitant to get a backcountry ski to dedicate for in bounds powder because after a few runs it's going to become chop and then light backcountry skis will get deflected in the chop which is always annoying. Of course, if you intend to backcountry ski with them then it makes sense to get a backcountry ski. My suggestions are just full alpine skis!
Thanks.
I guess what I am looking for is floaty and light pair.
Pretty much the opposite of my regular pairs.
I will not be on them too much. Just for when we get decent to a lot of powder, say knee high or more.
I do not get out to backcountry, just off-piste.
I have two great pairs for slalom and bumps already. They are fast and hard, which I love.
:ski:

Elizabeth.I

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Thanks.
I guess what I am looking for is floaty and light pair.
Pretty much the opposite of my regular pairs.
I will not be on them too much. Just for when we get decent to a lot of powder, say knee high or more.
I do not get out to backcountry, just off-piste.
I have two great pairs for slalom and bumps already. They are fast and hard, which I love.
:ski:
Yes! You definitely want your powder ski to contrast with your other skis! I'd look into faction too. I think they have fun and light weight skis. Don't know much more about them though!

Analisa

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Depending on where you are, I might venture a little wider and with more exaggerated rocker. If it's the snow that made the 100eights heavy, I 100% know the feeling. I'm in the PNW where the snow is *so* heavy and so hard to turn in. Powder skiing got way easier once I got a ski that stayed on the snow instead of down in the snow. Especially since I'm not the fastest skier - speed helps your tips bend and plane up out of the snow, while a softer and more exaggerated rocker helps make up for my lack of speed.

The Atris Birdie (old 108 - can't speak to the updated 105) and any of the DPS women's skis (100, 106, 112) do a fantastic job staying on top of the snowpack even at cruiser speeds. And depending on your size, there are still some units of the Rossignol Soul 7 that fit a similar niche. Oh - and the Liberty Genesis 106.

At ~1600g in the middle size, skis don't get much lighter without venturing into the low 90s or into touring skis. But there are definitely options on the market that'll feel lighter, easier, and more nimble based on changes to the flex and other construction elements.

Mudgirl630

Angel Diva
Depending on where you are, I might venture a little wider and with more exaggerated rocker. If it's the snow that made the 100eights heavy, I 100% know the feeling. I'm in the PNW where the snow is *so* heavy and so hard to turn in. Powder skiing got way easier once I got a ski that stayed on the snow instead of down in the snow. Especially since I'm not the fastest skier - speed helps your tips bend and plane up out of the snow, while a softer and more exaggerated rocker helps make up for my lack of speed.

The Atris Birdie (old 108 - can't speak to the updated 105) and any of the DPS women's skis (100, 106, 112) do a fantastic job staying on top of the snowpack even at cruiser speeds. And depending on your size, there are still some units of the Rossignol Soul 7 that fit a similar niche. Oh - and the Liberty Genesis 106.

At ~1600g in the middle size, skis don't get much lighter without venturing into the low 90s or into touring skis. But there are definitely options on the market that'll feel lighter, easier, and more nimble based on changes to the flex and other construction elements.
Well, believe or not, my home mountain is Aspen. I could say, maybe, less than 7 days, I enjoyed skiing on 100Eight. I just did not care for them.
As soon as I had some accumulation on 100Eight, they were concrete skis. I also do not weigh that much for my height.
I need to demo whole bunch this season.
I usually do not care for twin tips. I will try again.
I am a hard charging slalom skier. But I do enjoy bumps.

Thanks!

santacruz skier

Angel Diva
Well, believe or not, my home mountain is Aspen. I could say, maybe, less than 7 days, I enjoyed skiing on 100Eight. I just did not care for them.
As soon as I had some accumulation on 100Eight, they were concrete skis. I also do not weigh that much for my height.
I need to demo whole bunch this season.
I usually do not care for twin tips. I will try again.
I am a hard charging slalom skier. But I do enjoy bumps.

Thanks!
Have you tried the Blizzard Sheeva 10?

Bookworm

Angel Diva
Seconding what @marzNC said: I demoed a bunch of DPS skis last season at Alta for their demo day (they fed us lunch, too) and I loved them (ended up buying a pair of the Pagoda 100s) I am not an accomplished powder skier, however, but I did like very much the Koalas. Something you might look into.
They're expensive, but the quality and finish are really good.

nopoleskier

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I traded my Liberty Genesis 104's for Sheeva 10's Liberty's were just too heavy, stiff and planky (Compared to my liberty 76's)
Sheeva 10's are 102 under foot- Light, very floaty- I had a blast on them at Alta in over a foot of snow loved them in freshies up in Catherine's, I kept them for 2 days!
I also demoed the Maven's (atomic) was back here in the East- it wasn't in big snow but they are light and a lot of fun- I agree, Santa Ana's are another light and playful ski
have fun demoing- hope you get a nice powder day too try them!
IMG_20220414_115731_727.jpg

Mudgirl630

Angel Diva
I traded my Liberty Genesis 104's for Sheeva 10's Liberty's were just too heavy, stiff and planky (Compared to my liberty 76's)
Sheeva 10's are 102 under foot- Light, very floaty- I had a blast on them at Alta in over a foot of snow loved them in freshies up in Catherine's, I kept them for 2 days!
I also demoed the Maven's (atomic) was back here in the East- it wasn't in big snow but they are light and a lot of fun- I agree, Santa Ana's are another light and playful ski
have fun demoing- hope you get a nice powder day too try them!
View attachment 19124
Thanks. I live in Aspen for the entire season so I am sure I will find a good day to try.

Olesya Chornoguz

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Stockli Storm Rider (SR) 102 or any of the DPS skis. If you can demo any of these - they are great.

I own the narrower version of DPS Pagoda that @Bookworm mentioned in 94 C2, but they have 106 C2 which is a light but strong and directional ski. The RP build for DPS skis has a lot of rocker, more twin tip like and C2 build is more directional, capable in the carving department, may be best to demo to get the feel for the different shapes they have.

Stockli SR have a super smooth feel, but are also playful, it's hard to explain, they can carve very easily despite the width and they are confidence inspiring.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LaurieAnna