• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

What is THE best way to stay in shape for skiing?

BackCountryGirl

Angel Diva
I think all the core work and balance training are great. But, I also think that skiers underestimate the need to have a good aerobic base. Itri hinted at it when she said in her post that her bump performance improved after doing tris. I found the same thing happened to me after I started training for tris.

Even though skiing is anaerobic, performing well at altitute, lasting all day without tiring or soreness, and doing top to bottom bump and powder runs without stopping require endurance. So, I'm a big fan of long-distance road work (running and cycling) and long-distance swimming, and adding biweekly interval training in all of those disciplines. Combine that with 3x a week of varied strength training (mixing up whether you use bosus/swiss balls or stand, and mixing up numbers of reps and amounts of weights to variously work on power, endurance, and strength) and you're golden.

MaineSkiLady

Angel Diva
Totally agree with above: I absolutely know it early-on in season if I haven't done enough cardio. Period. Huge endurance difference.

liquidfeet

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I think all the core work and balance training are great. But, I also think that skiers underestimate the need to have a good aerobic base. Lasting all day without tiring or soreness, and doing top to bottom bump and powder runs without stopping require endurance.

Endurance is really important. For me, it determines whether I stop at 1:00 or at 4:00. Those three hours are impossible for a number of the people I ski with. I always try to go till last chair, unless the conditions are abominable, and can usually do it, too.

Distance running or biking in the summer sure helps keep up the stamina during the first weeks of skiing.

BackCountryGirl

Angel Diva
I don't have trouble going to the gym to lift. I have always had one of those builds that responds quickly and fairly well to weight training. My trouble is staying motivated to run. I tell myself that it is the best way to stay in shape for the other things I like to do and that a minimal amount of sucking gives maximum benefit. I love all sorts of activities -- tennis, hiking, horseback riding. But I find that those simply don't get me in shape -- I need to be in shape to do them.

abc

Banned
I love all sorts of activities -- tennis, hiking, horseback riding. But I find that those simply don't get me in shape -- I need to be in shape to do them.
So very true! :smile:

I used to do some of those and found the same problem: I need specifc workout to get fit in order to do them well!

I found cycling the best fitness training. One thing it has over running: it's easier to get motivated to ride if you have a route that is interesting. Not too hard for cycling since it can cover a lot of ground in a short time.

My only problem? I got addicted to cycling and had no time for my "other" activities that I was originally "training" for! :smile: (and that even goes for skiing: I only start skiing when it's too cold to bike, and stop skiing as soon as it's warm enough to bike!)

Consuela

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
So, I've not done much Yoga or Pilates and was thinking of taking one of these at my local gym... The Yoga they offer would be more fitness focused, than spriritually focused.

Would love to hear your thoughts on which one you enjoy more. I would be considered a "beginner" in either of these. My goal would be to strengthen my core strength and balance.

PS. oh, and agility/flexibility..

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LaurieAnna