• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

Question: What do you think about planning Vail in December -- from far out?

mwendell

Certified Ski Diva
My family (extended - brother's family plus cousins) wants to plan a Dec-11 ski trip, probably to Vail.

I am wary of planning so far in advance so "early" in the season. I live in the NE and have not yet ever actually travelled to ski, and I really want it to be worth it. I feel like planning a trip in February is so much safer, but I don't think I can shake them from December due to my neice's school vacation schedule.

What do you think about planning a trip in December, probably btwn Christmans & NYE? I guess even if the conditions aren't great, we will be with family. And, Vail is huge, right? So even if it isn't 100% open, there will still be lots of terrain?

Thanks for your thoughts, Divas! :smile:

Robyn

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
December can be fantastic or it can be pitiful. This year ranked as freaking awesome. You are correct that given the size of Vail even in a poor year there is generally quite a bit open at that time. That week tends to be quite busy so you do need to book early.

Christy

Angel Diva
You can try showing them the price difference between booking a hotel that week, vs. booking a hotel at a slower time, and see if that makes them think twice. :smile:

bounceswoosh

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I guess it really depends on how crushed you'll be if the snow isn't great. And how much you'd enjoy the non-skiing parts of the visit.

DH and I booked our honeymoon at Vail the week that the "between-season" prices started in 2004. At the time, it seemed like a sure thing, and the snow was dumping. Thing is, it got unseasonably warm and stayed that way. A whole lot of snow melted off. DH enjoys spring mashed potatoes, but at the time I was completely out of my element and not having a good time. And the snow depth was bad enough that you couldn't ski to the base - you had to ride the lift down from mid level. And this is kind of a freak thing, but they forgot to fence off one of the runs, so I ended up "skiing" down a run that was more mud than actual snow, having to hop from snow patch to snow patch. At one point a snow mobile stopped and asked what I was doing on the run because it was supposed to be closed - and I explained that it wasn't.

So anyway ... there are never any snow guarantees, of course, at any time of the season, but IMO if you're going to go very early or late, you roll the dice and you take your chances. If what I just described sounds like it might be a fun adventure anyway, hey, awesome. If it sounds like the Worst. Trip. Ever. - then maybe shoot for a time with better odds.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LaurieAnna