• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

Weight Training

Lisamarie

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Greetings Divas! Once again, my presence has been scarce. I'm working on a few projects simultaneously, which include an article on road trips from Denver, a visual podcast of Breckenridge and a history book about Breckenridge. As if that was not enough, I just got a gig writing women's fitness blogs for Prevention.

My first post was about the benefits of weight training for women, which is a subject that is near and dear to my heart. I remember when I first started working out. Women didn't want to lift weights for fear of bulking up. Boy have times changed!

Women and Weights

LilaBear

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Interestingly enough I found out about the "switchbacking" method of ascending and descending steeps when I was horseriding in the Andes recently. So when I was on a hike recently and coming down a steep and precarious slope I zigged and zagged which was easier on the knees and less risky on the infirm surface.

So funny that your greyhound (not known for their agility on the steeps) had this instinct.

The article on weights is also very informative and well written. Thank you. I might start to do squats, simple and easy to do at home.

Lisamarie

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
She is an atypical greyhound. Never had much of a racing career, so I guess the agility thing is just another oddity.

Jilly

Staff member
D#$m, I thought I was going to be able to sub the M&M for blueberries in muffins or something. Not the other way around!! :wink:

MaineSkiLady

Angel Diva
I remember when I first started working out. Women didn't want to lift weights for fear of bulking up. Boy have times changed!
I started the Les Mills Body Training System classes in April, 2005. Classes are one hour in length, fully choreographed to music, instructor faces class. The studio here even has fun lighting for "effect." Each muscle group is worked to a single track of music, with free weights. Order of the Body Pump class is: warm-up, squats, chest (on the bench), back, triceps (on the bench), biceps, lunges, shoulders, abs, cool-down.

I'll recommend these classes to anyone, and to give one of these classes (if Les Mills is available in your region - it's in many clubs) a try, as first classes are always free. Very "addictive" and fun - and makes a huge difference. Hit the heavy weights on squats and lunges, pre-ski season!!

No bulk (unless lifting heavy), just toning, as tracks involve many repetitions. Super-good for improving bone density.

https://www.lesmills.com/?gclid=CJzIqsbd7JQCFQqNHgodx1c8rg

VickiK

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Fitness/nutrition

i don't think there are les mills group classes in my gym. i'm going to read those articles as soon as i can. just fyi, here's a linkto a fitness/nutrition blog i enjoy visiting. Leigh Peele, who runs Avidity Fitness, is smart, sassy, and down-to-earth.

https://avidityfitness.net/

off this topic, but still relevant: i cannot (well, can hardly) wait for ski season. even though i still have some poundage to lose per my goals, cardio+strength+flex/stretch=the wherewithall to last all day on the mountain. :snow:

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LaurieAnna