• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

Waxing Skis

veggielasagna

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
thx again, tons of excellent info, but wait a sec, VeggieLasagna, didn't you just start skiing this past December (or am I mistaken), you're hard core already girl!

Haha, not mistaken. I guess I just don't like to have people do things for me that I'm perfectly capable of myself. Then there is the convenience factor; I typically have to leave my skis for a couple of days for a tune...not practical with the amount of skiing I have done this season. I imagine that will change as I enter the "real" world. I don't expect to have this much ski time again for a few decades. But it is definitely a learning experience and nice to know that I won't have to be without my skis for a few days.

-veggielasagna

TsuKata

Certified Ski Diva
Question somewhat on topic...

We're about to fly with our skis for the first time, departing April 3rd. I'm dropping the skis off at the shop to be waxed today. Should I leave the wax on (not buff/scrape it off) for travel and then just plan to scrape it off when we arrive? Or, will that create a mess in my sporttube and thus I should scrape it off before they go in the tube?

SueNJ

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Doesn't the shop do that? Whenever I've had skis waxed and tuned by my local shop, they're ready to go when I pick them up.

It shouldn't make a difference, but thinking about what I would have wanted to deal with on my recent trip, if your shop doesn't scrape and buff, I'd do it before I packed the skis up to go.

volklgirl

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Unless you specifically asked for storage wax, they should come back ready-to-go.

MaineSkiLady

Angel Diva
One helpful item is one of those thicker velcro straps that goes in between the skis at the top, between and then around them to close - keeps the edges from grinding against one another. I've used them at tip and tail when packing up skis to travel by air.

veggielasagna

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I'd just go with the straps on the tips and tails nice and tight. There will be enough to do when you arrive at your destination; it will be nice to have the skis ready when you are!

-veggielasagna

MaineSkiLady

Angel Diva
And a really good ski shop will often throw them on gratis.

TsuKata

Certified Ski Diva
Yeah, the shop will definitely scrape the wax off unless I tell them otherwise. I'd just read on here that for storage, it's better to leave the wax on, and I wasn't sure if the same philosophy applied to storing them for air travel.

I'd much rather just have them scraped and ready to go, but I want to do what's best for my skis, too. :smile: Oh, and we have the velcro straps. The shop we bought the skis at gave us each 2 velcro straps gratis.

sibhusky

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Here's the one I bought--it's awesome, because (a) it fits the fatter skis and (b) it stretches!

https://www.faststrap.com/skistraps.htm

They also make a longer one for skis that are 130mm or wider.
What's between the skis? Fabric or rubber? I can't tell from the pictures. I have SWIX straps that fit my powder skis. They're not stretchy, but they have a rubber panel for between the skis that might be less abrasive to your wax than fabric.

sibhusky

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Yeah, the shop will definitely scrape the wax off unless I tell them otherwise. I'd just read on here that for storage, it's better to leave the wax on, and I wasn't sure if the same philosophy applied to storing them for air travel.

I'd much rather just have them scraped and ready to go, but I want to do what's best for my skis, too. :smile: Oh, and we have the velcro straps. The shop we bought the skis at gave us each 2 velcro straps gratis.
My daughter used to put on travel wax when she was racing. It's probably a good idea if there is a wax room at the destination, but a PITA if there is just a hotel room, because you'll be making a mess scraping and brushing.

SueNJ

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
What's between the skis? Fabric or rubber? I can't tell from the pictures. I have SWIX straps that fit my powder skis. They're not stretchy, but they have a rubber panel for between the skis that might be less abrasive to your wax than fabric.
It's soft (pretty smooth) woven stuff, the same thing that the rest of the strap is made of--I haven't noticed any abrasions on the wax. The fact that these straps stretch really helps to hold the skis taut and they don't move at all. I was concerned about the same thing, but after using them for several ski trips (including 6 days of skiing in UT), I haven't noticed any issues.

SueNJ

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I have a tough time with scraping because my wrists aren't very strong from the accident last year, so it takes me about 1.5 hours to do edges, wax, scrape, and brush.
Suggestion from my lurker SO: would a snowboard wax scraper make it easier for you? They're wider than ski wax scrapers and may be easier for you to grip and/or easier on your wrists.

volklgirl

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Suggestion from my lurker SO: would a snowboard wax scraper make it easier for you? They're wider than ski wax scrapers and may be easier for you to grip and/or easier on your wrists.
Another option (and the method I use):
Instead of dripping wax onto the ski, try touching the bar to the iron and smearing the wax that remains onto the ski. Keep smearing and smearing, then touch and smear again down the ski as required. It might take about 5 or 6 touch-smears but leaves very little extra wax on the ski. Because there's miminal wax on the ski, it is super important to keep the iron at the lowest heat setting appropriate for the chosen wax and to keep it moving CONSTANTLY to avoid melting the bases. Then VERY GENTLY use a Swix metal scraper rather than a plastic scraper. It takes negligable pressure or strength and there's almost no wax waste. Because you have to be sooo careful during the waxing phase, that part may take a little longer, but the scraping phase will be really quick.

sibhusky

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Another option (and the method I use):
Then VERY GENTLY use a Swix metal scraper rather than a plastic scraper. It takes negligable pressure or strength and there's almost no wax waste. Because you have to be sooo careful during the waxing phase, that part may take a little longer, but the scraping phase will be really quick.
Sorry, there is NO WAY I would use a metal scraper on my babies! There was a thing on Epic about "light hot scraping" that sounded interesting and I think this touch and smear was part of it, so I might try the touch and smear thing, but I generally leave my skis sit overnight (or at least an hour or two) in our utility room which is really warm so that the wax sinks in good before I scrape.

Kiragirl

Ski Diva Extraordinaire

should you get a "storage" waxing done at end of season (sniff) and keep it on over the summer?

thx again for all the great info

Thanks, I'll look into it. Of course, I'm not sure they allow women with white hair in the snowboard shop.

They let ladies with PINK, PURPLE and GREEN hair into the snowboard shop....why not WHITE????? :wink:

Calgal

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I am reading this thread for the first time and thought I'd give you my link to a great site that I have ordered from and had great service.
https://www.tognar.com/index.html
These guys have all kinds of goodies and decent prices too.
They also have great tuning and waxing info.

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cholinga