• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

Waxing Skis

SueNJ

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
should you get a "storage" waxing done at end of season (sniff) and keep it on over the summer?

thx again for all the great info
That's what we're doing--my SO does the waxing, and he's already retired my Queen Attivas for the season (the Fischers are going up to VT with me this weekend) with a nice coating of wax.

volklgirl

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Sorry, there is NO WAY I would use a metal scraper on my babies!
Hmmmm...I've never had an issue. But, I'm veeeeery gentle, and there's NO WAY I'd let hubby anywhere near them with the metal scraper. :eek:

should you get a "storage" waxing done at end of season (sniff) and keep it on over the summer?

thx again for all the great info
Yes! Make sure they are tuned up and fully dry and clean, then put a decent coat of wax on them, including the edges (to prevent rusting) and hang them somewhere dry for the summer. Do Not stand them on a cement floor (wood is OK). When next winter rolls around, just scrape and go. :smile:

Calgal

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Here's a great resource, sorry I didn't post this sooner:
https://www.tognar.com/
They've got all the goods and all the info you need.
Enjoy, and good luck.
It's really not that hard at all, and it makes SUCH a big difference in how the skis perform.

I didn't read the thread well enough when I posted my link to the Tognar website. OOOps !

veggielasagna

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Another option (and the method I use):
Instead of dripping wax onto the ski, try touching the bar to the iron and smearing the wax that remains onto the ski. Keep smearing and smearing, then touch and smear again down the ski as required. It might take about 5 or 6 touch-smears but leaves very little extra wax on the ski. Because there's miminal wax on the ski, it is super important to keep the iron at the lowest heat setting appropriate for the chosen wax and to keep it moving CONSTANTLY to avoid melting the bases. Then VERY GENTLY use a Swix metal scraper rather than a plastic scraper. It takes negligable pressure or strength and there's almost no wax waste. Because you have to be sooo careful during the waxing phase, that part may take a little longer, but the scraping phase will be really quick.

An excellent method indeed! Thought I would add my favorite as well. Once in a while I will crayon on, usually only when I'm using to diff. temperature waxes. Hey I like to play, it's like chemistry:becky: Otherwise I use Swix "Fiberlene", my iron has a little clamp on the front to clip the stuff into. Think of it as a sort of paper towel (for a visual). It covers the base of the iron thus making the wax application smoother, more consistent and it also soaks up a bit of the wax. Not as economical as crayoning, but it takes minimal scraping after this method I have found.

-veggielasagna

ski&bfree

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
This is such a great thread with a lot of useful info. :bump:

General Tuning Schedule for recreational skis:

* Wax – Wax every 1-3 days depending on snow conditions (more often for hard or man-made snow, less often for fluff). Wax for specific conditions as needed.

Every 1-3 days? I had no idea...:noidea: I need to learn how to wax my own skis, it can't be THAT hard!

skihub

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I just recently started a wax thread and got some advice from the divas. Sooo, I hot waxed my skis Friday night and earned my first Platinum Nastar medal Saturday. Yeah, I think I'll keep waxing. It was easy.

I am using an extra steam iron I had here. I guess I am losing wax in the holes? I'll try the aluminum foil trick mentioned here.

Thanks.

frenchgirl

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I just waxed my skis for the first time. It is not a very pretty job, but they sure look slick. Hopefully not too slick! Now I just need to get the tools to keep my edges sharp.

volklgirl

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I just recently started a wax thread and got some advice from the divas. Sooo, I hot waxed my skis Friday night and earned my first Platinum Nastar medal Saturday. Yeah, I think I'll keep waxing. It was easy.
:thumbsup:NICE!!!:thumbsup:

I am using an extra steam iron I had here. I guess I am losing wax in the holes? I'll try the aluminum foil trick mentioned here.

Thanks.
You're not losing very much wax, so you can worry about it or not. Just make sure there's no water in your steam chamber.

vanhoskier

Angel Diva
I LOVE waxing my skis...there's something about the smell of the hot wax that does it (don't read anything else into this, girls!:laugh:) And the best part is brushing after scraping, and getting a nice smooth sheen on those bases. There's something very Zen-ish about it.:smile:

skihub

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
QUOTE=vanhoskier;89822]I LOVE waxing my skis...there's something about the smell of the hot wax that does it (don't read anything else into this, girls!:laugh:) And the best part is brushing after scraping, and getting a nice smooth sheen on those bases. There's something very Zen-ish about it.:smile:[/QUOTE]

:ROTF::laughter::ROTF: It is so fun to find other women who share my passion for skiing!!! I just walked downstairs from our spare bedroom and was wondering why I can't complete a bunch of my projects sitting there. Then, I thought, oh yeah this for AFTER ski season. Now I am going to wax some skis. So this post was quite funny to me.:thumbsup:

ski&bfree

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Anyone know of a good vid that shows how to wax skis? I know I know...I just learn better when I see it. Even though VG has an excellent right-up...I just don't see how you get the wax on the ski. Do you literally melt the wax from the iron and let it drip over the ski? Then go up and down the surface with the iron?

vanhoskier

Angel Diva
yup, hold the wax against the iron and let it drip on the ski. Then iron it in. Make sure your skis are warm first - never wax a cold ski!!!!

skimomma24

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
So I have a question about this. My hubby is new to skiing, this is his second year. But he stated that he might be interested in learning how to wax his own (ours?) skis. This is something I know nothing about.

Is it difficult to do this at home? Can he do the edges too? And where would someone go to learn how to do this?

Thanks.

Jilly

Staff member
Check with the racing coaches. I bet one of them would be happy to show him his set up and how it's done. There is also video available from "kuu" on how to use all the stuff they sell.

volklgirl

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Those videos are pretty good.....but, I would recommend skipping the whole detuning thing.

I know some people are manic about detuning, but really, that's a hold over from the straight ski days. The current skis are designed to use the entire edge, and by doing an automatic detune, you're effectively shortening your usable edge.

When doing your first self tune, try them without detuning first. If you remove all the burrs religiously, they should be fine. If you're a skidder or spend tons of time in the bumps, and find your tips and tails are hanging up regularly, then try a minimal detune. In general, though, with the new skis, detuning should only be used if you've purchased a too-long ski.....the detune will effectively make the ski feel shorter.

As alway, JMHO and YMMV!!

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cholinga