• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

Water purification devices

2ski2moro

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
For peace of mind about water, these are nice:

newad_contents.jpg

We have one for backpacking, and for travel (although we haven't traveled anywhere lately where we needed it)

Pinto, when you use this in the backcountry, do you pre-filter your water?

I think this could be the solution I'm looking for.

2ski2moro

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I'm new at exploring the backcountry, so bear with me. Geargrrl, I saw those wonderful whitewater camping photos of yours and trust your advice about water purification.

DH and I were kayaking and I ran out of water on a very hot day. It made me think about having a backup plan. I'm not talking about drinking from the lower Hudson River, but rather some of the clear water from streams and clear lakes/ponds in the Adirondacks.

I looked at water purification devices, including the SteriPen, last week. The salesman told me I could put my bottle in a moving mountain stream, then insert the SteriPen in the bottle, zap the water with the UV light for a minute, and drink the water.

Next, he showed me some pump purifiers with carbon filters. And then he started talking about HIS hikes in the Adirondacks, how he had tested streams and knew where the water was good, and he got so far off track that it wasn't worth my time any more.

In addition, DH travels abroad on business quite a lot. When Pinto mentioned this device, I wanted more info because it looks like a solution on many levels.

pinto

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Pinto, when you use this in the backcountry, do you pre-filter your water?

I think this could be the solution I'm looking for.

Usually we take it out of a running stream so it isn't too murky, and just hold a bandana or something over the bottle mouth to filter out the big stuff. I think they sell filters that fit right into a Nalgene.

geargrrl

Angel Diva
dunno much about steripen tho I hear good things. We use katadyn backpacking filter and it works great.

bouldergirl

Certified Ski Diva
Hi 2ski2moro,

Speaking of someone who has a microbiology degree (from a long time ago) and who once worked in a lab that studied Giardia lamblia and Cryptosporidium parvum (both protozoans that cause diarrhea), I am very hesitant to use UV-pens as my only water purification in the backcountry. Two reasons: 1) they require very very clear water, and cannot permeate into particulate matter, and 2) they do not kill microbes, they only prevent them from reproducing, and even that is reversible if the water is exposed to visible light for a period of time afterwards.

Personally, I think that the UV-pens are great for travel, if you're going to be drinking/washing with tap water that you don't quite trust, but if I was in the backcountry, I would want to pre-filter my water beforehand, to remove any particulate matter. The commercial water filters are great, but can be bulky, and you have to keep in mind that they do not filter out viruses (here's where the combination of the two would be great). I'm not sure that a bandana would be good enough as a pre-filter (sorry Pinto), but it or a coffee filter might help in a pinch. Some of the UV-pen devices are sold with a pre-filter too. Also possible are the chlorine drops or iodine tablets that you can throw in your backpack or first aid kit. While I haven't really had an opportunity to go backpacking in a while (DH's not fond of the idea), I too have unpleasant memories of running out of water in the woods and always carry the tabs in my backpack if I'm going out hiking.

A couple of things for you to consider when making your risk assessment:
1) How far does the water have to travel from its source to get to where you are? The longer the distance, the greater the risk of water contamination.
2) Are there cities/farms/wildlife upstream of where you will be drinking? In the US, the water tends to be cleaner downstream of a city or town's wastewater treatment plant, but much much dirtier downstream of farms, feedlots, and wildlife sanctuaries. Cows, pigs, deer, beavers, etc. all tend to carry Giardia and E. coli and other nasty "bugs". Untreated human sewage near the water can expose you to bacteria and human viruses and parasites, including worms.
3) How cold and fast flowing is the water? Cold water tends to harbor the "hearty" bugs like Giardia, warmer water has a higher bioburden and more E. coli.
4) Have there been any storms recently? Is it springtime? Both things tend to wash bacteria and parasites into the water system. (DH got Giardia after swimming in a lake several weeks after a tornado came by, washing dirt from cattle farms into the lake).
5) How thirsty are you and how far away from clean water are you? While a water-borne illness isn't pleasant, IMHO it's worth the risk of getting a GI-bug if the alternative is severe dehydration or worse. They can always treat you later if need be!

Good luck in choosing something that will work for you.

2ski2moro

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Thanks, Bouldergirl, for the good information. We haven't bought a purifier yet, and I appreciate the input. I bought a Camelbak for a larger water source for day hikes, and it has worked well so far. Maybe Santa will put a purifier and filter in my stocking...

Pocono bunny

Certified Ski Diva
The steripen is an awesome option. One thing to think about, apart from pre-filters, is that you need to be really careful about water stuck in the threads of nalgene bottles. If you dunk the bottle and stick the steripen in it, the water in the threads (where you're drinking from) isn't purified. You can use a pre- filter that screws onto the bottle, or just use another bottle or cup to pour water into your 'filter' bottle without getting the threads wet.

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LaurieAnna