• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

Was your season longer or shorter than last year?

ski diva

Administrator
Staff member
I'm not talking number of ski days here. What I'm wondering about is season length! Here in New England we had a great season -- it started early and went long. My first ski day was November 17 and my last was April 15. Last season I started a couple weeks later and finished up a week or so earlier. So my season was longer. I know this doesn't compare to the season out west, but it's pretty good for the east.

What about yours?

sibhusky

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
We opened later, by two weeks, so it was shorter. Their way of "not raising lift prices" but actually doing it. Speaking of which, they increased the LOCKER prices for next season by 30%!!!! Can't be the price of fuel. I found another incensed locker owner and am sharing next year. Gonna be tight.

Jilly

Staff member
Fantastic season. Tremblant was open one week longer than we could make too. I didn't get as many ski days as last year (-2), but 6 months isn't too bad. Hopefully next year will be better.

playoutside

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
This season was much longer (and had MUCH better conditions)! Should have been a week longer but I got caught up in doing my taxes!! :(

07-08: started on 12/14 at Belleayre and ended on 4/8 with a GORGEOUS day at Sunday River

06-07: started 1/5 at Mt Snow in the rain and ended 4/1 with a warm sunny day at Bromley

num

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
My 07/08 season started earlier than the previous season, but ended earlier due to injury. Though I prefer late season conditions to early season, it felt great to be getting all those November turns in! A nice day of skiing on thin ice followed by a hot bowl of pumpkin soup, while the leaves are green, red, orange and yellow :drool:

MaineSkiLady

Angel Diva
VERY long season up here in Maine. Sunday River opened with half a run (a black diamond, no less) before Halloween (chairlift ride up AND down, was upper half of run). Sugarloaf opened on/around Veterans' Day. Sunday River went until last weekend in April. Sugarloaf stayed open until May 5 (!!). I started slightly later than usual - Nov 20, but this year got in my first May ski day ever. :yahoo: April was absurdly good here this year, with almost ridiculous warm temps and great spring snow. NO COMPLAINTS! Missed a few weeks due to an incident/injury (annoying but non-serious), made up for it in spring.

altagirl

Staff member
Shorter due to injury... but I'm not complaining, since it made my bike season longer! :smile: Thank God for crazy friends willing to go on long day trips to find dirt to ride on.

marge

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
We had a MUCH better season here. Skied through mid-late March (maybe some later) in MI!!! :clap:

shnu

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
definitely longer :yahoo:

C

CMCM

Weather wise, shorter. Last year we had a rotten January....no snow at all, it really warmed up. Then February & March really dumped so the season lasted till mid May, and my last ski day was around May 11. This year the first snow was October, skiing was really taking off by early December, it was good thru early April, then things started warming up 3rd week of April or so, and that was it. No more snow, stuff was melting FAST, and my last day was something like April 23 or so. I wasn't nearly finished, either! :(:(

RachelV

Administrator
Staff member
November 11th to May 25th! My best season yet in terms of length (just over 6 mos) and days (32).

abc

Banned
Shorter due to injury... but I'm not complaining, since it made my bike season longer! :smile: Thank God for crazy friends willing to go on long day trips to find dirt to ride on.
What kind of injury leave you unable to ski but able to ride? Seems biking uses the same lower body function as skiing but adds upper body work as well...

I had the longest ski season EVER in my life because of a late season injury (cracked ribs) left me unable to ride or paddle but ONLY able to ski.

Don't think I'll ever top this season, because I really don't want to be skiing in May when I REALLY, REALLY want to bike! (not to mention no intention for any more cracked ribs) ;-)

SkiNurse

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
A little shorter.

This season, my first ski day was November 5th & I finished May 7th.

Last season I began October 11th and finished about mid May also.

altagirl

Staff member
What kind of injury leave you unable to ski but able to ride? Seems biking uses the same lower body function as skiing but adds upper body work as well...

I had the longest ski season EVER in my life because of a late season injury (cracked ribs) left me unable to ride or paddle but ONLY able to ski.

Don't think I'll ever top this season, because I really don't want to be skiing in May when I REALLY, REALLY want to bike! (not to mention no intention for any more cracked ribs) ;-)

Knee surgery. It was just a scope to unlock / clean out the meniscus but doctors orders were 6 weeks off skis. But I was on my bike in 10 days. (exercise was good, just no pivoting - hence no skiing)

I did get a couple days skiing in after the 6 weeks was up, but I just wasn't into it at that point and kept on biking. It's one of those things where spring biking is sooooo good, and you know the miserable hot weather of summer is coming... I hate missing any of those good riding days in spring now.

abc

Banned
It's one of those things where spring biking is sooooo good, and you know the miserable hot weather of summer is coming... I hate missing any of those good riding days in spring now.
Same here! :smile:

Although summer biking here in the northeast isn't too bad at all. Really hot days are relatively rare. And our trails have a lot more tree covers (great for shades, though not so great for views) than out west. So I'm ALWAYS having conflicting feeling about spring biking vs. spring skiing. Both are at the best, AT THE SAME TIME of the year!!!

BTW, is Moab getting really hot now already? (always tempting to bike there but so far not done it yet)

altagirl

Staff member
We're headed down this weekend - I think it's supposed to be a high of 92, so we're going to try to get started earlier in the morning.

It really depends on how much of an early riser you are, how much you can tolerate heat and blazing sun, etc. I'm just one of those people who literally feel like I'm melting in the heat - ugh. And if I end up spending too much time in the sun, no matter how much water I drink or electrolytes I consume, I end up with a migraine. And it's easy to underestimate how much time you're going to end up spending on some of those trails if someone gets injured or you have a mechanical issue, so it can get dangerous.

One of the nicer things is that this time of year it's getting less crowded though... But it's still that in-between time. The trails way up high in the La Sals are still under snow, but the low stuff is getting really hot in the middle of the day. Heh - I guess we need to learn to like to climb instead of go downhill... that way we could start out at the bottom at sunrise and wind up at the snowline when it's getting hot!

joycemocha

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Longer. Part of it was that I started earlier, but the conditions were good for longer. I started in November (with a bang, as DH got hurt) and my last ski day was June 8. I probably still could go up there as Timberline's still running both the Mile and Palmer (usually the Mile's done by now) but right now I've too much other stuff to do.

C

CMCM

Hmmm, well I started earlier (early November), but unfortunately the snow fizzled out by the end of April so it ended earlier too. Lucky for me I got in a lot of ski days! But I had been hoping the snow would last way into late May....no such luck. I hope next year is better. We went up to the mountains last week and virtually ALL the snow is gone, just a patch or two near the peaks, but that's it.

volklgirl

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
How 'bout shorter AND longer?? :laugh:

Shorter because nobody here opened until December this year instead of Thanksgiving weekend and most everyone closed at the end of March instead of the first week of April.

Longer because I went to A-Basin and skied after my birthday for the first time EVER!!!!

LilaBear

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Way longer ..... started November 11th at Mount Snow, finished May 11th A-Basin. I also got a trip to Lake Tahoe at Christmas, so one of my longest seasons and most days skiing.

I thought that was the most epic (epicest?) season I'd have, but now I'm thinking next season will be even longer and have more ski days.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LaurieAnna