• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

Warmest Gloves

Mary Tee

Angel Diva
My hands get cold in gloves. For years I have only worn mittens as they are the only thing that has kept my fingers from going numb. However, in today’s word with masks being one more thing, I am finding the lack of dexterity a real issue. If I drop the mask down while skiing, I don’t seem to be able to be able to get it back up properly. Then I have take off a mitten, adjust the mask, drop a pole (well, I don’t have to drop the pole, but it seems to happen) and then get the mitten back on. If the lift line is long, this is not an issue, but most of the time, I am just a hot mess!
So ladies, tell me what are the warmest gloves out there? I guess if it has a pocket to put a heat pack in that would help. Do liners help, or do they just make the gloves too tight and restrict circulation?
I’d prefer not to go to heated gloves and have to think about battery life.

Abbi

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
@ski diva and @lisamamot and I have Chaval heated gloves/mittens. I swear by them. I haven't had them run out during the day, although I never stayed out more than 4.5 hours. Expensive and worth every penny to me. I might have to pull the glove off to move the mask but my hands get warm right away when I put them back on. Lots of times I ski with the gloves off.

Doesn't @newboots have heated Hestra gloves?

I used mittens with heat pack inserts before I found the Chavals and my hands were still cold. I used to ride the chair with my hands stuck between my legs .... attractive, right? I never found a glove to keep my hands warm. I've got Raynaud's so cold is my life.

KKL2018

Certified Ski Diva
I have gone through several gloves for skiing on those bitter days. I have a pair of full leather and goose down mittens by Gordini that fit the bill, they are bulky, but are toasty and my go to for single digits and below. I was looking for a glove for cold--but not that cold days, the Gordini Luna II (3g2162) has proven to be a very comfortable wind blocking glove that works on temps between 10-30 degrees and gives me the dexterity I love. Much above 30 it's too warm so I go to lighter gloves. Below 10 I go back to my mittens. I will say as long as my core is heated I have less issues with cold hands...so I do layer my core and have a heated vest.

https://www.andythornal.com/products/gordini-luna-ii-glove-black-3g2162

lisamamot

Angel Diva
I haven't had them run out during the day, although I never stayed out more than 4.5 hours.
I agree about the heated. I have the Chaval SuperNova, and I've never had them run out.
I have the Chaval Supernova Mitt (3 finger) and they are pretty amazing. Sadly though I have had them run out twice this season. I skied straight thru 8-2 and they died right before getting on the chair for my last run; I was a couple peaks away from where I deboot, and my fingers were popsicles by the time I got back. I need to come up with Plan B for longer days!

I also have Raynauds and before Chaval used Black Diamond Mercury Mitts with hand warmers. I believe the Hestra Extreme are even warmer than the Mercury....those may be my Plan B for long days.

Jilly

Staff member
I was on my tablet earlier, now at a keyboard...I have a pair of heated mittens. I just don't like mittens.
So, I got the 3 finger gloves a few years ago at a close out. I also have down gloves from Eddie Bauer. Love those, in fact too hot!! Also I have a pair of Swany Down Mitts I picked up at Costco. Again too hot!!

Swany makes a glove that you can put a hot shot in the back of the hand.

newboots

Angel Diva
I have Hestra heated gloves. I’ve never seen the batteries run out. Fortunately I didn’t have to pay for them as Mr. Blizzard bought a size too small. Except on really cold days, they keep me warm without turning on the heat.
But this doesn’t solve your problem!

Previously, I wore OR gloves (down filled) with wind-stop mitten combo. I kept a hand warmer inside, two on really cold days. You can try these next time we ski! They are not as warm as the Hestra, which keep me warm by fitting, uh, like a glove, even without the heat. ETA: I can’t find them on their website. :frown:

Finally, I looked at the Wildhorn Outfitters website. They had some very cheap heated gloves. Maybe someone has tried these?

https://www.wildhornoutfitters.com/products/ravean-heated-gloves

Last edited:

KKL2018

Certified Ski Diva
I am typically an out open to close kind of person, so that is where the heated stuff doesn't last long enough. I do carry toe warmers in my pocket for my boots and gloves when all else fails. After getting stuck on a chair lift I do this regardless of the temps. Also that day I learned to not wait one more run to pee, to carry a little snack (sport beans) and a small vial with meds in your pocket. Just incase.

lisamamot

Angel Diva
I have Hestra heated gloves.
Since I found them on sale, a couple years ago I tried the Hestra heated glove liner that you are supposed to be able to use to convert their regular glove to heated. I added them to a pair of Hestra gloves I have for use during spring skiing. They did not work for me at all, but they did for @marzNC ! I expect their full leather heated are warmer.

MissySki

Angel Diva
I am typically an out open to close kind of person, so that is where the heated stuff doesn't last long enough. I do carry toe warmers in my pocket for my boots and gloves when all else fails. After getting stuck on a chair lift I do this regardless of the temps. Also that day I learned to not wait one more run to pee, to carry a little snack (sport beans) and a small vial with meds in your pocket. Just incase.

Ugh yeah I bet that was not a pleasant experience!

contesstant

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I have Hestra Heli 3-finger, Black Diamond Mercury, and neither do the trick on colder days, even with hand warmers.

I just picked up a pair of Free The Powder mittens, and they are by far the warmest gloves/mittens I have ever worn. I have yet to have to use hand warmers, even in temps in the teens. Bonus is I have a decent amount of dexterity in them, much more than in the Mercury Mitts, which are so bulky I have a hard time getting my poles on. I bought my husband the Free The Powder gloves last winter, and he kept commenting on how warm they are which is what spurred me to buy the mittens. They are incredibly high quality, and half the price of the Hestras.

I've been hesitant to buy heated gloves due to the cost. I am so happy with my choice to purchase the Free the Powder.

lisamamot

Angel Diva
I just picked up a pair of Free The Powder mittens, and they are by far the warmest gloves/mittens I have ever worn.
I bought their gloves for my husband last year. too...hmmmm, maybe the mitten in this with a hand warmer will be my Plan B!

in fact too hot
I have never experienced this phenomena...except when I am skinning up a mountain. Skiing down with serious mittens + hand warmers, and I am still pulling my thumbs in and holding the hand warmer on the lift.

For those long days when the battery dies on the Cheval, I am going to give the Free the Powder mittens a try; I recently bought the Seirus Heat Wave liners that some swear by too....perhaps the triple threat will make my hands behave!

Last edited:

NewEnglandSkier

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
For warm gloves I have the Black Diamond Guide gloves--they are pretty warm but can't beat mittens if you need the extra heat. I have used heat packs with them (no pocket, but I just put it in the glove).
My hands normally run cold and probably lots of people would just wear mittens in that case but I can't stand the lack of dexterity in mittens and constantly feel like I might drop my poles, so I reserve mitten use for the absolute coldest days.

liquidfeet

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
A question for you all, since I haven't been out on the slopes yet.

I get that mittens won't be so good pulling masks up and down. But when you are wearing ski gloves, do they provide the dexterity you need, or do you still need to take them off to mess with the masks?

MissySki

Angel Diva
I bought their gloves for my husband last year. too...hmmmm, maybe the mitten in this with a hand warmer will be my Plan B!

I have never experienced this phenomena...except when I am skinning up a mountain. Skiing down with serious mittens + hand warmers, and I am still pulling my thumbs in and holding the hand warmer on the lift.

For those long days when the battery dies on the Cheval, I am going to give the Free the Powder mittens a try; I recently bought the Seirus Heat Wave liners that some swear by too....perhaps the triple threat will make my hands behave!

Will be very interested in hearing what you would think of the Free the Powder mittens. I'm happy with my Hestra Extremes right now, but always good info to have and I've heard of this brand for quite awhile.

NewEnglandSkier

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I haven't been pulling the mask up and down, but I think you'd be able to wearing gloves.
However, maybe don't mess with the mask using the same hand you used to pull the chair bar down---might cross contaminate (or maybe I'm just paranoid).

contesstant

Ski Diva Extraordinaire

lisamamot

Angel Diva
Yes, they are very reasonable. Pay attention to the hand measurements for sizing. They technically don't carry women's stuff. I measured for a small, ordered a small, and it fits well.
I measure for a M so that is what I ordered - hoping it works. Love the look of them too!

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cholinga