• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

Wanted: Western Bump & Crud/Chop Ski

chicajill

Diva in Training
Asking on behalf of a friend (no, I do not need another pair of skis [keep repeating]).

Anna is 5'6" about 155lbs., creeping up on age 60, but active and naturally athletic. She's been skiing seriously for about 12 years and is a lower level Advanced skier. She skis mostly in the east, but gets about 21 days out west each season. Anna has definite asks:

-- All mountain ski (95 or 98 ish) that is forgiving, maneuverable, and nimble in bumps and trees - she wants something to learn on (felt that the Sheeva line was too burly/too much rebound);
-- Something with enough gumption that it won't get tossed around in crud and chop (she didn't like the Elan Ripstick 94 for this reason - felt that the front of the ski got bounced around/deflected. At the other end of the spectrum, she felt that the Nordica Santa Ana 98 required too much work and required too much focus on staying forward);
-- She doesn't ski fast, so she doesn't need something that is also super stable at speed;
-- Ideally something that can also hold an edge on hardpack/ice at slower speeds. She's not one to charge the groomers.

Number one of the above is a ski that will help her become a better bump skier.

Realizing that this is a lot to ask for, any ideas would be appreciated. She may get a chance to demo in NZ later this year, but that is not yet a given.

Considering, but hasn't tried:

-- Rossi Black Ops 98
-- Icelantic Riveter 95
-- Black Crows Camox Birdie 97
-- Liberty Genesis 98

Thank you in advance, Divas!!
Check out the Vermont ski maker, Renoun. I'm thinking the Endurance 98. They use a new technology that you should read about. renoun.com

BlizzardBabe

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Thanx @chicajill . I have the Earhart 88 in a 161. Used maybe twice. I'm looking to sell, but I couldn't talk twist her arm her into them! :smile:

LucieCZ

Certified Ski Diva
I agree with everyone who suggested widths in the 80s for bumps. My bump skis are Hart F1s, they're in the 70s width. But they're not good for crud or crust. My hubby loves his Kendo 88s for bumps and everything else except powder. Of course good skiers can ski wider skis in the bumps, but it really is a lot more work and may not be ideal for someone who's still ramping up.

BlizzardBabe

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I agree with everyone who suggested widths in the 80s for bumps. My bump skis are Hart F1s, they're in the 70s width. But they're not good for crud or crust. My hubby loves his Kendo 88s for bumps and everything else except powder. Of course good skiers can ski wider skis in the bumps, but it really is a lot more work and may not be ideal for someone who's still ramping up.
I'm a terrible bump skier, but working on it. I've had the most "comfort" with my Blaze 86 (2021). I have the Vertis Birdie 85 (2024) for next season which are supposed to be great for bumps and trees. Interestingly, I recently read a fairly comprehensive review of a variety women's all-mountain skis (a "best of" type article) and they were lauding the Stockli 88 as a terrific bump ski. It finished #1 in that category. Surprised me - and apparently the reviewers as well. They particularly liked how well it retained contact in both soft and icy bumps.

BlizzardBabe

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
What are your reasons for getting rid of the Earharts? That's what I've been skiing.
It is very specific to me. I like the feel of the skis very much. However, my right foot turns in slightly when I walk (even after corrective shoes in childhood) and that seems to translate itself to skis. Because of this, and because the Earharts have a wider shovel, my right ski has a tendency to interfere with my left in certain radii turns. This happened twice w/the Earharts resulting, the second time, in an acute calf strain. I experienced something similar w/the Elan Ripstick. What it amounts to is that I need a ski with a less flared tip shape. Nothing against the skis themselves. I think they are a great product.

BlizzardBabe

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Interestingly, I recently read a fairly comprehensive review of a variety women's all-mountain skis (a "best of" type article) and they were lauding the Stockli 88 as a terrific bump ski. It finished #1 in that category. Surprised me - and apparently the reviewers as well. They particularly liked how well it retained contact in both soft and icy bumps.
Clarification -- Stockli Nela 88.

ceestan

Certified Ski Diva
I got the K2 Mindbender 99ti for western tree/bump skiing, and went with the shorter of 2 length options to maximize maneuverability (I'm 155cm tall and went with the 154 cm when I would normally gravitate toward the 160 cm). They are more easygoing than my Santa Ana 93, the tail is easier to release, but still quite solid and have good edge hold. I find myself reaching for them more often than I expected. Worth considering!

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cholinga