• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

Walkie talkie or basic cell phone

Getting Ready

Angel Diva
This is my first post. So HI everyone!

Our recent ski trip prompted a few questions. While my kiddos were close to the same level last year, the younger took a giant leap forward and the older a giant leap backward this year. This means that they’re really at different levels. The older has a regular cell phone that she can use if we get separated but she is the one who needs mom more right now. The younger has never had a phone and is the one who is more apt to take off like a shot. Wondering if I should get a walkie talkie or a basic cellphone without a screen for him. Have any of you done either?

mustski

Angel Diva
If the cell service is good, go for the cell phone. Even if you don't want the little one to have a cell phone full time, you can take it away when it's not needed and provide it when you want to be able to reach the kiddo. Also, a lot of cell phones will allow you to track the little as well which can be handy.

nopoleskier

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I used to make a fun laminate ID card and stick it in the kid's pocket/ w their names/our phone numbers and the mt/ski patrol #'s so they could show it or use to find you or the patrol.

Jilly

Staff member
The thing about a cell phone is ICE...In Case of Emergency. That # can be programmed into the phone. Just incase someone can't speak. I have in it my phone. I also have a Road I'D bracelet that I wear which has all the important information.

newboots

Angel Diva
:ski: :welcome: :ski:

So glad to have you with us!

santacruz skier

Angel Diva
The thing about a cell phone is ICE...In Case of Emergency. That # can be programmed into the phone. Just incase someone can't speak. I have in it my phone. I also have a Road I'D bracelet that I wear which has all the important information.
I have a Road ID bracelet that I wear when cycling alone. Never thought to wear it skiing. Good idea!

marzNC

Angel Diva
The younger has never had a phone and is the one who is more apt to take off like a shot. Wondering if I should get a walkie talkie or a basic cellphone without a screen for him. Have any of you done either?
My daughter is in college now, so when she was a tween it was pretty unusual for a kid her age to have their own cell phone. Even though our home mountain (Massanutten) is tiny and only had building at the base, I opted to get an on-demand cell phone (voice & text only). I would activate it for 7 days when we went on a ski trip. That worked better than fussing with radios.

I know a father who uses high-end radios with attached microphone/speaker that can be clipped to a jacket. He and his cousin who often do ski trips together have 3 boys and a girl between them. Seems to work pretty well. Some of the places they ski don't have decent cell coverage.

newboots

Angel Diva
I had never heard of Road ID. so I looked them up. Starting at $19.99, and the leather models seem to all be on sale for $19.99. Roadid.com

MrsPlow

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
If you were to go with a walkie talkie, my husband and I use the BCA BC Link 2 radios to keep in touch when we're skiing. We've previously tried some cheap walkie talkies and they had limited range and ran out of power very quickly so not a good option. The BCA radios last well and the range is good when they've got a decent charge in them. The main unit goes in a backpack or pocket, and the speaker clips to your coat or backpack strap. Not cheap though and there are some disadvantages, like accidentally switching to the wrong channel, not being able to leave a message or text, and sometimes getting loads of static (to be fair I think that's mainly when they're running out of power or we're really pushing the range of the signal).

skisenyc

Certified Ski Diva
We have walkie talkies between the three of us (medium speed mom/fast & furious dad/10 yr old rocket boy).
First we tried phones, but phone service on most mountains were not reliable. So we switched to walkie talkies. They are a little cumbersome however, they work every time. Can't complain.

alison wong

Angel Diva
I used walkie talkie when I took my nephew on 2 overseas ski trips, he was 14 yrs old that time. We did not get sim card for our cells.

We used it on 3 different occasions. First time, we could not find each other in ski rack area at Whistler since we put our skis at different racks and it was crowded that time. Second time, it was our last run that day. Since he skied faster than me, I told him to wait for me at this spot in mid mtn, turned out I missed that spot and just skied passed it. He waited for a while and did not see me, so he walkie talkie'd me to find out where I am.

3rd time was in Val D'Isere, it's a huge place. I supposed to take this bus to meet him at a bus stop (where he finished his lesson). I missed getting off at this bus stop. He had good instinct (he was at the bus stop waiting already), thought I was on that bus just passed. So he walkie talkie'd me and I ended up getting off the next stop, which was not too far.

All 3 times were "life savers".

One thing to keep in mind though, walkie talkie frequencies may interfere w/ ski patrollers' walkie talkies. I was told some mtns. do not allow them. For us, we only turned them on when needed. I don't think it posed an issue.

Last edited:

BlueSkies

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
One thing to keep in mind though, walkie talkie frequencies may interfere w/ ski patrollers' walkie talkies. I was told some mtns. do not allow them. For us, we only turned them on when needed. I don't think it posed an issue.
At some mountains ski patrol post the channel they use/monitor. Useful to know if help is needed

SarahXC

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
We have had limited success with the walkie talkies, (mid range Motorola brand) the cell phones could be a better option. We are exploring apps that can use mesh texting networks for being able to stay in touch where cell service is limited. Will update thread with info as we have chance to evaluate.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LaurieAnna