• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

Wait with me...Salomon shift bindings

echo_VT

Angel Diva
I got new skis in October - new Santa Ana 93, 161 length and I got them with shift bindings as I will be touring with them.

Well it’s Dec 2 and they still aren’t in. The ETA is mid December to late December and I go touring 2nd week of Jan (4th to the 13th) and I’m quite sad they aren’t here yet as we’ve had 3 fine weekends of snow. I want to get on the skis badly and I’m told it’s worth it to wait for the shifts. So wait I shall.

Anyone have them already? Anyone know anyone with them? Tell me everything you have heard as I patiently and frustratingly wait for these miracle bindings to ship...! Thank you Divas!

Belgiangirl

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Oh my, that's a ridiculously long wait... I wonder if there's a production problem? I checked a big EU online store and they mention 2-3 weeks for delivery... Hope you'll get them soon!

Kinda unrelated, but the promo video for the Shift bindings is pretty sick: click

elemmac

Angel Diva
@echo_NY - not the same, but I’ll sympathize with you...misery loves company

I sent my Kingpin toe pieces in for replacement when I heard about the recall...still haven’t gotten them back 2 months later. The snow has been so good thus far, would have loved to take them out for a jaunt in the woods one of these past weekends.

Hope you get yours soon!

echo_VT

Angel Diva
Thanks @Belgiangirl , that video was amazing!

@elemmac im sorry you are also having to wait as well for a repair for the recall - 2 months is an awful long time, I hope they don’t push it out to 3...! I know what you mean by wanting to take them out and not being able to :( hoping for sooner for both of us rather than later...!

zoomamyd

Angel Diva
Hi there - we've had them in, so it's definitely possible to find them. A pro-tip is that the Atomic branded Shifts seem to be easier to come by (they are exactly the same).

lisamamot

Angel Diva
@echo_NY @elemmac @WaterGirl I am hoping to learn to tour. I may have a new pair of skis getting mounted in the near future that would be suitable for this purpose (Elan Ripstick 94) - would it be appropriate to mount them with this binding for flexibility of skiing it in both resort and out of bounds? The binding is a significant investment but from what I have read there is little to no inbound sacrifice on these - love the flexibility of having a setup that could go both ways.

elemmac

Angel Diva
@lisamamot - I’ve heard mainly good things about the Shift bonding, with little exception. I can recall reading two reviews, one of which had trouble with the pivot (too much friction), and one person that broke them after a couple runs (no specifics on how they broke), other than that, everything has been pretty solid review-wise. I don’t have any personal experience with it though, so can’t comment first hand.

Some food for thought on the topic:
Most reviews I see are west coast, i.e. soft snow, biased. Personally, I’d do some digging and see what I could find for east coast reviews prior to dropping that much dough on bindings (I may be skeptical for no reason, but they almost seem too good to be true).

Consider your boot situation. I’m not sure how much adjustment goes into the Shift bindings to set it up for a specific boot. But you may need some adjustment to switch between boots. If you are planning on having one set of boots for both lift access and touring, this point is moot.

snoWYmonkey

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I just picked up a pair as I like the idea of using them with alpine or touring boots depending on what I am doing. I will be using them both locally in softer snow, but more importantly with ski crampons on icy skins. Will post later this spring when I have time to start using them after work.

echo_VT

Angel Diva
I have had more time on them in my downhill/alpine boots and they’re responsive and lightweight. I’ve also taken them uphill and they’re great. They only have one level of climbing aid compared to the two im used to. However they’re great. To convert between downhill and uphill is a breeze. I’m about to take them downhill in my AT boots. I’ll come back to report -

elemmac

Angel Diva
They were great going downhill in my AT boots! Not a complaint to be had, just fun responsive turns!

Curious on the compatibility between boots. Did you need to do any adjustments to the binding switching between your two sets of boots? Is there a forward pressure you need to be concerned about? What about an AFD height, like on regular bindings? Also do both of your sets of boots have the same boot sole length?

echo_VT

Angel Diva
Yes one was 286 and the other is 288, so a minor adjustment is needed. But it’s fairly simple to do.

No height adjustment needed -! And no forward pressure to be concerned with. AFAIK these and the dynafit radical ST and FT do not have issues with the toe attachments that the others (older models) have.

They are really responsive and fun. I totally love em!

snoWYmonkey

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Info have to adjust the toe plate height between my touring and alpine boots as the alpine has a shallower sole depth. Easy with a screwdriver.

snowspritect

Diva in Training
Hi all, any updates on your experiences with the Shift bindings? I am considering a pair for use on sidecountry as I live minutes from a VT ski area. The only concern I have is reports of early ejection. Any Divas experience this (I hope not!)?

I'm hoping with women this is not as common due to reduced weight different center of gravity. I am 5'3" and 130. Not exactly a delicate flower but not beefy either.

I would like to hear of others experiences with the early ejection issue if anyone has them. So far I have only read it happening with male skiers.

Thanks! :smile:

echo_VT

Angel Diva
i have heard of those complaints, but I haven't experienced it at all @snowspritect and I have been skiing on them since 2018 on the Santa Ana's (with the metal plank inside) as my daily driver.

I ski with shifts on 93 width underfoot on blacks/double blacks on the east coast -- and I ski relatively aggressively. I'm also not a delicate flower but not beefy either :P i'm about your size 5'4" and 120 --

I'm not sure if this helps you with your decision. Best of luck!

snowspritect

Diva in Training
i have heard of those complaints, but I haven't experienced it at all @snowspritect and I have been skiing on them since 2018 on the Santa Ana's (with the metal plank inside) as my daily driver.

I ski with shifts on 93 width underfoot on blacks/double blacks on the east coast -- and I ski relatively aggressively. I'm also not a delicate flower but not beefy either :P i'm about your size 5'4" and 120 --

I'm not sure if this helps you with your decision. Best of luck!

This does help, thank you! I was considering the 100 width Santa Ana but it would be for relatively tame side country so maybe that's overkill? I'm in the Northeast so nothing gnarly/powdery here. Lots of ice, and I like skiing spring crud.

Another concern is that if the 93's fit your Santa Anas well, would they be too snug if I go the 100 route? And I was wondering if you had to bend them to adjust for the narrower width for the 93s because I'm thinking you got the 100 wide Shifts--or maybe I'm wrong?

Thanks so much for responding! :smile:

MissySki

Angel Diva
This does help, thank you! I was considering the 100 width Santa Ana but it would be for relatively tame side country so maybe that's overkill? I'm in the Northeast so nothing gnarly/powdery here. Lots of ice, and I like skiing spring crud.

Another concern is that if the 93's fit your Santa Anas well, would they be too snug if I go the 100 route? And I was wondering if you had to bend them to adjust for the narrower width for the 93s because I'm thinking you got the 100 wide Shifts--or maybe I'm wrong?

Thanks so much for responding! :smile:

Hey, I was considering the same exact ski/binding combo and am also in the Northeast! Where do you ski?

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cholinga