• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

Question: VOLKL Tierra, Sol or Estrella ski

lv2ski

Certified Ski Diva
Hi Diva's.....I presently ski on the 05/06 volkl Attiva 5 stars. They are more of a carver with a 68 or 69 mm waist. I am thinking of a new pair of volkls that handle trees and crud a little better but I still want a pretty quick turner. I have read about the new Volkl's and am thinking of the Sol based on the dimensions. I am an advanced skier I guess (level 8-ish). Love the cruisers and intermediate glades best but will do some steeps also if not too icy:eek:. The Tierras are priced higher for some reason :noidea:.
Thanks!

Robyn

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
My understanding is that the Sol is for a lower level skier and would not be appropriate for a level 8 skier (which is generally someone who can and will ski anything inbounds and enjoy it).

iisemily

Certified Ski Diva
I haven't tried the Tierra or Estrella, but I did demo the Sol. I am an intermediate (level 6ish), and I really liked this ski. I definitely didn't feel like I would outgrow it anytime soon. I ended up ordering the Luna:yahoo: because the Sol is $200 more and I didn't like it that much more than the Luna. I know a lot of the advanced skiers on this site really like the Tierra. I predict the other Divas will say demo demo demo! Maybe you could get it on sale at the end of the season if you fall in love?

lv2ski

Certified Ski Diva
It is hard to find many demos's, especially the sol, but I will look. I may try the Tierra also. Robyn, the Sol is listed as an intermediate to advanced ski from what I can see. Skis.com has a great website with a comparison chart. Prices are average.

lv2ski

Certified Ski Diva
I demoed the Sol and really liked it, now trying to find it in my length for a reasonable price. It felt very stable, and was fairly quick in the turn and plenty fast.

Mom of Redheads

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Equipe Sports in Stratton Village had the Sol for $699 a week ago, and the Luna for $549... I googled on my iPhone before I bought it and their price was competitive with what I found online and $100 less than a local shop here in NJ...

I skied all three at Stratton (Tierra, Sol and Luna) and chose the Sol. Tierra was too much for me (too long, too heavy, tip too fat etc); Luna was good too - I decided on the Sol as being better to help me get to the next level than the Luna would have been...

The woman at Equipe Sports called the Luna more of a beginner ski; the Tierra more of a big ski and said the Sol was in the middle, FWIW.

Happinut

Diva in Training
Would you say the Estrella is that diff than the Luna or the Sol? I had a chance to demo the Luna a few weeks ago in Whislter and was more than thrilled to find a pair of skis which boasted my confidence level and skills. What I liked about the Luna was there was no learning curve, I simply got off the lift on my rentals and took off! I'm an intermediate skier (5'2", 160lbs) looking to improve my form. The reason I ask is because I'm finding some great prices on the Estrella but not so much on the Luna. Wonder if it'll be worth my while to get the Estrella since it's a more intermediate/advance ski. Any advice is greatly appreciated. Thanks!

persee

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I have no experience with either the Sol or Estrella. But from what I can see it would appear the Estrella is going to be a more demanding ski than the Sol. The Estrella definitely will be a LOT more demanding than the Luna. If you skied and liked the Luna I think making the jump to the Estrella may well be too much.

Happinut

Diva in Training
Thanks persee! But what do you think makes the Estrella that much more advanced than the Luna? Because they have almost identical side cuts (124-73-94 for Estrella and 123-73-94 for Luna). I am far from knowledgeble in knowing how ski flex/radius/core material works and what conditions they're good for... I just feel that the Lunas were a good pair of carving skis and w/ smiliar dimensions, the Estrella would be too. Is that wrong to assume?

Mom of Redheads

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I'm surprised more divas haven't chimed in here, but if you search "Estrella" on this site you'll see that far more people have demoed the Luna than the Estrella. Not sure why - probably because it's a great beginner-to-mid-level ski.

I do NOT know much about skis, but I seem to remember someone suggesting that that Sol is kind of like the Luna evolving toward the Tierra, and the Estrella is like the Luna evolving in a different direction (not sure where? the Fuego, maybe?) Anyway, so both the Sol and Estrella would be more advanced than the Luna, but in different ways...

I wish I could help more, but maybe you can post enough to get be able to PM anyone who posted that they actually demoed the estrella...

Happinut

Diva in Training
Actually, that's exactly what I did, search for all the threads w/ "Estrella" in it. :becky: You're right Mom, not a lot of ppl have demoed the Estrella and I think it's because they're the newest addition to Volkl's Attiva line. I don't see any other models of the Estrella ouside of the 2009/10 ones. I figure you can only do so much research and second guessing before your mind explodes. I think I'll seize the opportunity to get these at a good price and see if I can take it up Tahoe for one last run befor the season's over. I'll def post feedbacks here if I do. :wink: Thank you Divas for giving me all very valuable advice!

marzNC

Angel Diva
I had the Estrella for a day at Northstar during Diva Week. Of the skis I used that week, it was the hardest to adjust to. I'm a petite advanced skier. I got them figured out after a while, but had to concentrate all day. Not on my "fun" list.

I have K2 One Luvs for southeast skiing. Liked the Rossi Echo a lot at Tahoe.

Happinut

Diva in Training
After much consideration, I've decided to wait. I love the sport of skiing too much to botch up my experiences by getting ill-suited equipment for my ability. Figure I'll wait until the beginning of next season to take some intermediate lessons, get some advice from professionals and demo more skis for myself. I'm sure there'll be the perfect pair of skis out there just for me and I'll be ready to spend a pretty penny on it when I find it! =P Thank you gals for all your valuable input. This site is such a gem, can't believe I didn't stumble upon it sooner! :grouphug:

Happinut

Diva in Training
You can count on it! I'm ready to rack up those ski miles. :laugh:

I might just be able to squeeze one more day this season in before the resorts up at Tahoe closes on 4/25. The prospect of skiing in a tee-shirt is thrilling.

Anna

Angel Diva
Hi All,
I KNOW it;s your summer - but in Aus it's WINTER and FUN FUN FUN

I demoed the Sol on Saturday (Jul 17) as advised by a great guy called Robbie at Ajay's in Heathmont, VIC.

I found it a dash of a learning curve - having only used K2 Comanches - a low level rental. But once I got the swing of it.......!

WOW! and FUN!

What makes it even better is my knee (properly braced for the day, as usual) was in fantastic shape! LOVED the SKIS!

LOVED THEM.

I am a rapidly advancing intermediate skiier.

Cheers all!
Anna

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LaurieAnna