• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

Volkl Mantra - the "real" review.

skigrl27

Ski Diva Extraordinaire<br>Legal & Environmental A
K - so I demoed last year's Mantra a few weeks back. They were too long for me & nothing too special.

But yesterday I demoed the real thing. This year's Mantra in a 170. TO DIE FOR. Or...spend for, I suppose.

First thing I noticed when picking them up from the shop. They are much heavier than my Nancys. At first I thought, this is going to be hard to ski. Took them to Snowmass on Saturday. It was dumping out all day. Flat light - but TONS of fresh powder. A perfect day for these skis.

First run, 9:30 AM: a rolling groomer, just to get a taste for these babies. At first thought...eh, yeah they're nice. But wasn't enough to go on yet.

2nd Run: Hanging Valley Wall II. Hike for the turns. Super steeps on windblown powder - sketchy avy area off the first drop. We all had our beacons on that day! First turn off the cornice: plowed through the deep stuff with no effort at all. The jump turns - almost too easy. It surprised me because with this skis weight...I was not having any trouble at all. Jump turn to jump turn, knee deep the whole way - I was falling in love. The pow was a little heavier than normal - but I felt like I was blasting through it all with ease.

3rd Run: Hike to Burnt Mountain & ducked the ropes to a long big powdery, tree & rock drop filled fantasy. I officially love these skis. A few bumps at the end - I felt like a pro!

4th Run: Baby Ruth in the glades. Steep, trees...killer!! These skis ROCK.

Lunch/beer break, 1:30. Warm up time.

5th Run: Back to Baby Ruth. Was way too fun the first go round.

Bottom line (as I posted before in the Aura thread) - the Mantras were like strapping 2 army tanks on my feet. A powerful ski - felt like tanks on rocket fuel! They have great grip and tons of pop. They are super lively. Maneuvering in the trees was effortless & tackling the steeps has never been so fun.

Now I just have to buy them - and comfort my boyfriend about the fact that his girl rips just as hard on his skis as he does (he has the Mantra in 184). Can't wait til I can call these babies my own!!:love: :love: :love:

skigrl27

sorry just realized this should have been under the Review thread...doh!

mollmeister

Angel Diva
Sounds awesome!

Does it ski long or short?

Being the midget that I am (5'2" on a VERY good day, and 110-115lbs), I have a feeling even the 170 would be a wee bit burly for me, even though I am athletic and muscular. Probably the Aura or even the 164 soft Bro is a better bet.

But DAMN, that sounds like a good day. Great skis, great snow, and a good series of trails. (That Baby Ruth is a darn fine run.)

Sounds like you'd be lots of fun to ski with, and probably kick my butt! Should look you up when we're back down there in early March. :D

Lancic

Certified Ski Diva
Hey, loved reading your review. Sounds like you had a super day! I have to confess that I had a wicked week, and after 5 days of riding powder, I need a rest. :D

Now, has anyone directly compared and has riden both the aura and the Mantra? I am really interested in this ski. I rode the 170 cm auras, and they were a fun ski, but I felt like I wanted something stiffer, more big mountain. Anyone out there have an opinion? Has anyone ridden the Gotamas?

volklgirl

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I have tried both and if you feel the Aura was too soft, you'll love the Mantra in the 170. If I skied out west, I'd get the Mantra, but it's just too much ski for our little bumps, so I fell in love with the Aura in a (get this) 163! It was much more managable when making more than 5 turns on our 450' hills :laugh: .

Lancic

Certified Ski Diva
Thanks Volkl Girl! I think I will demo a pair from a local shop, provided they have a 170 cm to demo :laugh: Will follow up later, of course!!:thumbsup:

skigrl27

Sure! Look me up if any of you come to Aspen!

I REALLY wanted to ski the Aura in a 170 too. But it just ain't do-able here - I called every ski shop in the valley & nobody's got that length. I just don't feel right about dropping that cash on the Aura when I can't ski them. The Aura is "20% lighter & softer" than the Mantra. The Mantra was definitely stiff & burly. The weight of them is so intimidating - but I think it also has a lot to do with how great they skied. The 170's tip was right against the top of my forehead (I'm 5'8") - and it skied just about right for its size. I felt super comfy at speed and no chitter chatter like I get from my Nancys.

Just sent an email to my ski-deal connection - I want them NOW dammit!!:becky:

Lancic

Certified Ski Diva
Calling the shop in the AM to see if they have the 170 cm mantras! keep your fingers crossed!!!

Lancic

Certified Ski Diva
Called the shop after all and they don't have a demo mantra in 170 cm length. One more shop to go....

skigrl27

It's done. Mantras will be mine shortly!!!!

YEAH BABY!:thumbsup:

Lori_K

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
If anyone is still looking to buy these, member "ptex" over on EpicSki.com has an ad in the Gear Swap section. Says he has "too many" Mantras in 170cm (this year's model).

skigrl27

LOL - well ain't that a crapper!!:mad:

I just bought mine yesterday off Ebay for...well...more than that. Not too much more, but $450 is a steal, especially shipped. I'd jump on this if anyone is looking to buy them.

C'est la vie!

Lori_K

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Sorry! I thought you had an "in" with a Volkl rep, so I figured you'd get a good deal that way, skigrl. :redface:

I always find good deals after the fact, too. I've been known to pay full retail, just because I HAVE TO HAVE IT NOW!! :doh:

skigrl27

Sorry! I thought you had an "in" with a Volkl rep, so I figured you'd get a good deal that way, skigrl. :redface:

I always find good deals after the fact, too. I've been known to pay full retail, just because I HAVE TO HAVE IT NOW!! :doh:

Yeah I did. I was patiently waiting for him to return my emails & voicemail - he called back a few days back & said that the Mantra has been sold out since December. Otherwise I would have been able to get them real cheap. Oh well!! They are en route to my office now either way - and I AM PSYCHED...

and it's dumping out now, calling for 12-24" today. saaaweeet!!:yahoo:

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cholinga