• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

Help Needed: Volkl Blaze 94? Or Secret 96? Other ideas?

MJo

Diva in Training
I need to replace my current skis - Salomon Q96 Lumen about 7 or 8 years old. I'm 5 ft and about 110 lbs. My current skis are 154 and are getting harder for me to maneuver as I age (50) and I try to protect my knees. I live/ski in Washington, have been skiing since I was a kid and am becoming a less aggressive skier. I'd like a shorter ski that turns well but can still handle heavy snow days. Choices are limited in sizes below 154 so I've considered the Santa Ana (93 or 98) but it seems maybe they're too stiff for what I want? I'm looking at the Volkl Blaze 94 pretty seriously - has anyone skied this? Also, the Secret 96? The black pearl 97 look like an option but the smallest size is 153, I'm a little nervous they'd be too long. Any input is greatly appreciated.

scandium

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
What about the Sheeva 9?

MissySki

Angel Diva
I need to replace my current skis - Salomon Q96 Lumen about 7 or 8 years old. I'm 5 ft and about 110 lbs. My current skis are 154 and are getting harder for me to maneuver as I age (50) and I try to protect my knees. I live/ski in Washington, have been skiing since I was a kid and am becoming a less aggressive skier. I'd like a shorter ski that turns well but can still handle heavy snow days. Choices are limited in sizes below 154 so I've considered the Santa Ana (93 or 98) but it seems maybe they're too stiff for what I want? I'm looking at the Volkl Blaze 94 pretty seriously - has anyone skied this? Also, the Secret 96? The black pearl 97 look like an option but the smallest size is 153, I'm a little nervous they'd be too long. Any input is greatly appreciated.
If you are looking at Volkl, I definitely wouldn’t characterize the Santa Anas as too stiff. They also cut down on the metal in them in the latest iteration.

If you can demo that’ll be your best bet so you can see what you like ahead of purchase.

marzNC

Angel Diva
Welcome! I"m pretty much your size, but about 15 years older. Have you demo'd any skis at alll in the last five years? How did you choose the Lumen?

I had the BP97 for a couple days at Taos a few days ago, but I think the design has changed since then. I liked all the older versions of the Black Pearl in the 88 and 97 widths.

For what it's worth, based on my experience demo'ing I would never buy a Volkl. They are good skis but take too much work for me. My go to brands became Rossignol, Blizzard, and Nordica when I needed to rent wider skis during trips out west. While my skis for skiing in the east are 148cm and 78 underfoot, my all-mountain skis have been 159cm and mid-80s underfoot.

Ironically, even though I needed to spend quite a few months doing knee rehab in 2012 (not a skiing injury) I'm skiing much more complex terrain these days. I invested time and money into lessons in a variety of ways with very experienced instructors both at my home hill (northern VA) and at destination resorts. My ski buddy who is a bit older eventually started doing lessons as well. He was an expert skier in high school. It's been fascinating observing how much the lessons have helped, especially since he has one knee with no meniscus due to surgery long ago.

MJo

Diva in Training
What about the Sheeva 9?
thanks. I looked at these but am thinking they're too narrow. I ski at Stevens Pass (at least this year. Vail is crushing my love for Stevens), which gets a lot of snow. Everyone I've talked to out here suggests wider skis.

MJo

Diva in Training
If you are looking at Volkl, I definitely wouldn’t characterize the Santa Anas as too stiff. They also cut down on the metal in them in the latest iteration.

If you can demo that’ll be your best bet so you can see what you like ahead of purchase.
I'd love to Demo but my opportunities are limited. The Blaze sounds like in the description that it's different than the rest of Volks - lighter, easier to turn.

Reactions: RJ*

MJo

Diva in Training
Welcome! I"m pretty much your size, but about 15 years older. Have you demo'd any skis at alll in the last five years? How did you choose the Lumen?

I had the BP97 for a couple days at Taos a few days ago, but I think the design has changed since then. I liked all the older versions of the Black Pearl in the 88 and 97 widths.

For what it's worth, based on my experience demo'ing I would never buy a Volkl. They are good skis but take too much work for me. My go to brands became Rossignol, Blizzard, and Nordica when I needed to rent wider skis during trips out west. While my skis for skiing in the east are 148cm and 78 underfoot, my all-mountain skis have been 159cm and mid-80s underfoot.

Ironically, even though I needed to spend quite a few months doing knee rehab in 2012 (not a skiing injury) I'm skiing much more complex terrain these days. I invested time and money into lessons in a variety of ways with very experienced instructors both at my home hill (northern VA) and at destination resorts. My ski buddy who is a bit older eventually started doing lessons as well. He was an expert skier in high school. It's been fascinating observing how much the lessons have helped, especially since he has one knee with no meniscus due to surgery long ago.
Demo options are limited for me, unfortunately. I was hesitant about Volkl but they make smaller sizes and the Blaze sounds different than the others. I basically bought the Lumens because it was all I could find in my local shop in my size range. They've been fine and way better than what I had before but I'm ready for something new.

SMichael08

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I don't have experience with Volkl and can't really say that I've even put my hands on them, except for a pair of Blazes I was looking at in the shop last season and I was amazed at what a soft ski they seemed to be, which seemed counter to what I've heard about most Volkls.

One other brand I might encourage you to check out is Elan. Many (if not all?) of their skis come as a designated left and right ski, with the sidecut and camber ever-so-slightly different on the inner vs outer edges, to help with turn initiation. They refer to this as their "amphibio" technology. I picked up a pair of Elan Wildcats last spring and just got them on the snow for the first time yesterday. I was upgrading from some mid-2000s Rossignols with a 67mm waist and chose the Wildcats in the 86 waist (no demo, in my case either), so I was a tad nervous about the jump in width. While it will take some adjusting to use them to the best of their ability, I was really amazed at how little I noticed the difference and how easily they want to turn!

The Ripsticks come in widths of 88, 94, and 102 and have much more front-end rocker than the Wildcats, as they are a lighter ski geared a bit more toward off-piste, though they are supposed to be totally fine on groomers as well. The 88 and 94 both come in 146 and 154 length. The Wildcats have less rocker in the front and, depending on the size, come in varying levels of stiffness. The 86s start at 152 length, but the 82s and 76s come in both 146 and 152.

TNtoTaos

Angel Diva
I'm your size, as well, and am seriously interested in looking at the Volkl Blaze 88 and 94. From what I've seen about them, they are extremely flexible and playful, and supposed to be great in bumps and trees. I'm hoping to get a chance to demo them in Taos this week.
Here's a great YouTube video (the very last section is about the Volkl's): 2022 Women's 90 mm All-Mountain Ski Comparison with SkiEssentials.com

newboots

Angel Diva
I don't have any skis wider than 82mm/waist, so take my comments with a lot of salt. I have heard, though, that turning wider skis is hard on the knees.

But, @MJo - glad to have you here! We can/will talk your question on this or any other topic into the ground (evidence: my comment!), so you've come to the right place!

:welcome:

VickiK

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Atomic Maven 93 C and Fischer Ranger 94 W (unisex except for color) received great reviews.

elemmac

Angel Diva
The Volkl Blaze 94 might be a good choice. It’s definitely the Volkl that doesn’t feel like a Volkl, but still takes on some of the the intense stability that Volkl skis are known for. It’s light and easier to to maneuver. I haven’t skied it in a lot of fresh snow, so I’m not sure how well it floats, I would think reasonably well.

If you’re starting to ski less aggressively than you were when this Q96 was our, I would probably cross the Secret off your list. The Santa Ana 93 might be a good option, I’ve always thought they were a lot easier than some reviews would lead you to believe. The only thing is that I’ve never found (even the 100) to float the way your old Q96 does (if I recall correctly those were a hoot in fresh snow).

If you’re looking to dial it back a notch, but still maintain a versatile, floaty, all-mountain ski, I would consider the Rossignol Stargazer. This has many traits that the old Salomon Q Series had, such as the bouncy, poppy nature of the ski, but in an updated, more stable, less tip-flappy sort of way. The Atomic Maven 93 might be one to look into as well. I would argue it’s one of the most versatile skis out there this year….everything from groomers to floating in soft fresh snow.

MJo

Diva in Training
Thank you for all of the amazing advice. This is so super helpful! I've got a few new skis to check out from the suggestions and also leaning toward the Blaze. I'm also thinking I'll hold on to my Salomons as they are fun in deep snow. This is such a helpful resource, thanks again!

MJo

Diva in Training
I'm your size, as well, and am seriously interested in looking at the Volkl Blaze 88 and 94. From what I've seen about them, they are extremely flexible and playful, and supposed to be great in bumps and trees. I'm hoping to get a chance to demo them in Taos this week.
Here's a great YouTube video (the very last section is about the Volkl's): 2022 Women's 90 mm All-Mountain Ski Comparison with SkiEssentials.com
This is a really helpful link, thanks. If you get a chance to demo the Blaze 94, I'd love to hear what you think.

FayGoneAstray

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I just bought the Elan Ripstick 94w - it comes in 146cm. I'm an inch taller than you but slightly younger and lighter (and only an intermediate skier!) - I ski Whistler. Taken them out twice this year and so far they are great - light, fun, easy to turn skis. But I have yet to try in poor conditions. Lots of snow here!
they also come in 88 and 102

Also the local shop that were super pumped on the Ripsticks for me also sang the praises of the Blaze 94.

bsskier

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Demo if you can. I skied the Blaze 94 in debut year (Feb 2020) and BP 97 (2022) last week. For me, skiing the powdery northern Rockies (not steeps) the Blaze was more fun to ski. It’s poppy and skis short where the BP 97 has a longer effective edge. Two totally different but really great tools. Don’t discount the Sheeva 9. The fun factor on it matched the Blaze in my opinion.

elemmac

Angel Diva
I've got a few new skis to check out from the suggestions and also leaning toward the Blaze.
With leaning towards the Blaze, here’s a couple reviews, all seem to have good feedback…the Ski Essentials review is for the mens ski, but reading through it, it’s pretty spot on to what I felt on the womens (same ski, so theoretically they should feel the same).

Pequenita

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
In the name of saving knees, how do you feel about an under 90mm waisted ski? Width, rather than length, is what comes to mind for me regarding knee “saving.” I am not much lighter than you (thank you pandemic weight gain!), your height, a little younger (but we would have been in high school at the same time!), and also looking to replace a ~9 year old 156, 87mm waisted Volkl with a wide shovel. I’ve been intrigued by the Blaze 94 but haven’t been on it; if I do before you buy, I’ll post here my thoughts on it. Another ski on my list to try includes the Stockli Nela 88 (mostly to see what the hype is all about).

MJo

Diva in Training
In the name of saving knees, how do you feel about an under 90mm waisted ski? Width, rather than length, is what comes to mind for me regarding knee “saving.” I am not much lighter than you (thank you pandemic weight gain!), your height, a little younger (but we would have been in high school at the same time!), and also looking to replace a ~9 year old 156, 87mm waisted Volkl with a wide shovel. I’ve been intrigued by the Blaze 94 but haven’t been on it; if I do before you buy, I’ll post here my thoughts on it. Another ski on my list to try includes the Stockli Nela 88 (mostly to see what the hype is all about).
I think for ski width it depends on where we ski also. I ski in Washington state which gets a lot of heavy snow at times. Sometimes powder, sometimes more like wet concrete. From what i've heard, if you ski East Coast a more narrow width is better for less powder, more groomed and some ice. My teenage son is on 90 mm right now and really wants something wider based on the conditions he's mostly in.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LaurieAnna