• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

Vail announces plans to store your pass or lift ticket on your phone.

ski diva

Administrator
Staff member
Vail Resorts announced today that it plans to introduce a new technology that'll allow guests to store their pass or lift ticket directly on their phone, eliminating the need to carry a plastic card, visit the ticket window, or wait to receive a pass or lift ticket in the mail. Guests will be able to buy their pass or lift ticket online, activate it on their phone, put their phone in their pocket, and get scanned, hands free, using Bluetooth.

The new feature will be tested during the 2022/23 North American winter season, with roll-out to guests expected for the 2023/24 season.

MissySki

Angel Diva
Vail Resorts announced today that it plans to introduce a new technology that'll allow guests to store their pass or lift ticket directly on their phone, eliminating the need to carry a plastic card, visit the ticket window, or wait to receive a pass or lift ticket in the mail. Guests will be able to buy their pass or lift ticket online, activate it on their phone, put their phone in their pocket, and get scanned, hands free, using Bluetooth.

The new feature will be tested during the 2022/23 North American winter season, with roll-out to guests expected for the 2023/24 season.

What could possible go wrong..? No one's cellphone ever dies in the cold or anything.. lol

marzNC

Angel Diva
Apparently already installed a few "phone ready" gates at Perisher for the 2022 season. But didn't have customers using the phone access function.

Can't possibility phase out RFID cards aka Epic cards. What parent is going to give a 6yo doing ski lessons a phone just for lift access?

snowski/swimmouse

Angel Diva
I resisted smartphones for years. Same with my husband. If they hadn't ended 3G (? or was it 2G) we'd still be using them just for battery life alone.
Even my 5G is not a smart phone and has no internet or texting. Wouldn't work at my home anyway so there's no point in me paying monthly for what I can't use here!!!!! I mainly use my landline of going on 50 years!

mustski

Angel Diva
A lot if ski resorts have intermittent reception or only have reception for some carriers. Wifi us sketchy at best outside if the lodge. This should be interesting!

marzNC

Angel Diva
From comments I've seen elsewhere, using a smartphone instead of an Epic RFID card will be an option, not a requirement. For people using an Epic pass to pay for food and other stuff, using their phone might be easier. Especially if they are already using Apple Pay or another payment method from their phone instead of a plastic card.

santacruz skier

Angel Diva
A lot if ski resorts have intermittent reception or only have reception for some carriers. Wifi us sketchy at best outside if the lodge. This should be interesting!
SO TRUE

snowski/swimmouse

Angel Diva
I would have to pay monthly for a "data plan", which since unless I'm out of town, I don't even turn it on, would be a waste most months...

Jilly

Staff member
I would have to pay monthly for a "data plan", which since unless I'm out of town, I don't even turn it on, would be a waste most months...
No, @altagirl is talking about wifi, not data. I'm using wifi from my modem to use this laptop right now. I also do it with my phone during the day at work. Many "coffee shops" or "internet cafes" have it. We have free wifi at the local Marina and at some restaurants in town. But yes you would have to enable it. My phone has it as a pull down menu on the main page.

But that's not going to help with a lift ticket on my phone, unless the resort has it everywhere. Not liking that idea at all. They could really track you then.

altagirl

Staff member
No, @altagirl is talking about wifi, not data. I'm using wifi from my modem to use this laptop right now. I also do it with my phone during the day at work. Many "coffee shops" or "internet cafes" have it. We have free wifi at the local Marina and at some restaurants in town. But yes you would have to enable it. My phone has it as a pull down menu on the main page.

But that's not going to help with a lift ticket on my phone, unless the resort has it everywhere. Not liking that idea at all. They could really track you then.
Right, it definitely would not require a data plan to use wifi calling. You'd be making calls over whatever wifi is available instead of using the cell phone coverage. That could be your home wifi, a wifi connection at a coffee shop, or indeed at a resort. In that sense it's almost the opposite of using a data plan. For that, you have to have a connection to your cell phone provider's signal. To use wifi, you are connecting to the internet instead and connecting a call through that.

I would expect that if they are doing lift tickets on phones, they'd have wifi hotspots at the lifts so it would work. If not, it's kind of a silly plan.... Definitely good that it's optional though. But also nice for the days you forgot your pass at home!

Last edited:

mustski

Angel Diva
But… many ski resorts have no Wi-Fi reception outside of the lodge and poor reception within. 5G is only useful if there is a 5G network nearby. I live in a mountain town. There are 3 roads to take you down the mountain. All 3 have Verizon coverage but only one has T-Mobile. The ski resorts only get Verizon coverage.

sibhusky

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Coverage on the back side here for cellphones is non-existent below Caribou as it crosses from east to west, even with Verizon, which I used to have and is the "best" carrier, coverage area-wise for CALLS. (Separate topic is 4g, 5g, etc.) However, the base ends of most of the lifts must now have WiFi, as my Google Fi phone, which uses T-Mobile, which has inferior calling coverage, works down at the base lift stations. It's using the WiFi to send and receive calls and texts. It won't work about 100 feet or so up the lift until you get to the halfway point, but it works near the base. I'm sure it's something to do with the ticket scanners.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cholinga