• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

Völkl Kenja vs. Rossignol Sky 7 HD for Advancing Intermediate Skier

Michelle Sabadish

Diva in Training
Looking for an All mountain ski for my daughter ( 5’2”, 120lbs. ). She is a strong intermediate who’s skiing skills continue to progress. We live on the East Coast but split our skiing time between New England and Utah / Colorado.
I’m hoping to get her into a versatile ski that would work in both settings.
It seems both the Kenja and Sky work as Western all mountain skis, but I haven’t read much about their ability to carve on East coast snow. Would welcome input from anyone with experience on either or for that matter, further recommendations.
Thanks in advance.

marzNC

Angel Diva
Looking for an All mountain ski for my daughter ( 5’2”, 120lbs. ). She is a strong intermediate who’s skiing skills continue to progress. We live on the East Coast but split our skiing time between New England and Utah / Colorado.
I’m hoping to get her into a versatile ski that would work in both settings.
It seems both the Kenja and Sky work as Western all mountain skis, but I haven’t read much about their ability to carve on East coast snow. Would welcome input from anyone with experience on either or for that matter, further recommendations.
Thanks in advance.
Welcome! What skis has your daughter been skiing? Where in New England is your favorite?

I'm slightly more on the petite side. As an older intermediate about 10 years ago, I found Volkl skis hard to turn. That included the Kenja back then. I liked skis from Rossi or Dynastar or K2 better as an improving intermediate. Once I had advanced skills, I could handle Volkl skis at free demo days but was never interested in buying a Volkl. By then I had more fun with Blizzard, or Nordica models, as well as any Rossi, K2, or Dynastar skis. When Head came out with the Joy line, I ended up buying the Absolut Joy. I also liked the Total Joy at a Mid-Atlantic demo day, as well as a late season demo day at Alta. YMMV

diymom

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Also, how old is your daughter- tween, teen, or an adult could make a difference in ski choice.

Pequenita

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
If she is already carving well, the Kenja will be fine. It's plenty stiff, which is one of the qualities I value on firmer conditions. The latest iteration of the ski is 90mm underfoot, which is not a "carving" width (also, considering the shape of the ski), so I don't think it is the best ski for someone that is still trying to pick up the skill. The Yumi, I think, would be better for that.

Jilly

Staff member
No to the Sky for sure. The Temptation line, maybe the 84 would be better for the east coast. I don't know enough to comment on any Volkl's, so I'll leave that to those who do.

tinymoose

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
If @Jilly says no to the Sky, then no. I can't speak to those. I'm curious as to what your daughter has been skiing on? The Kenja might work or it might be too stiff for her. I personally love Volkl skis, unlike @marzNC , but I have to be really careful to stick to their softer skis b/c of my height and weight (5'1" and 100 lbs). So your daughter has a little height and weight on me, but not a ton. I'd say I'm a low advanced skier and skied the Kenjas starting as an intermediate. I could ski them comfortably and turn them fine, but I wasn't really flexing them they way they should be. @Pequenita is a much stronger skier than me even (skill-wise and maybe even as far as strength). though we're a similar size. Another ski to keep in mind is the Yumi. It's what I ski, and they've added a bit of metal underfoot for this year, which might be a good compromise. Overall, it's best if she can find a place to demo to see what she likes the feel of.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cholinga