• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

Upgrade Ski for a Colorado Intermediate

citygirlmeetsnature

Diva in Training
Good morning! I've been lurking for a while, but this is my first post. I ski Colorado Epic mountains (Breck, Keystone, Vail, etc.). I am 5'5" and 110ish pounds. I currently ski a 2013ish version of the Salomon Myriad 88 in a 153 with an actual width of 86. I like that they feel playful, but I have a hard time getting an edge and they do not feel stable at higher speeds. I learned to ski as a teen, and have not skied 4 winters in Colorado about 10-15 days/winter. I don't love speed, but I enjoy skiing trees, under the lift, hard blues, and groomed blacks. I upgraded my boots last year, and would like to upgrade my skis this year. I owned a pair of Atomic Backlands 102 in a 154, but I got a concussion on bumps the first time I skied them and ended up selling them. They felt hard to turn for me and "too much ski." I also demoed the Elan Ripstick 94 in a 154, and they felt similar to my Salomons but harder to turn. They kind of seemed to throw me around a bit in bumpy powder. I did to be a bit cautious given my concussions and my current skis not inspiring confidence so I am looking for a new ski that will allow me to advance.

I am looking at the Black Pearl 88 in a 153 but am overwhelmed by the options. I am hoping to get a decent deal before the season but wondering what others might consider for me? Salesmen at shops have not been super helpful so far.

Thanks!!

bsskier

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Hello and welcome. My only comment is that at 5'5 tall, a 153-154 length ski seems too short, regardless of the amount of rocker. I like the same terrain as you describe with the addition of bumps too. I'm not into longer skis and at 5'4 only ski 158-164.

I think a Black Pearl 88 is an excellent tool for you. If you can demo both the 159 and 165 lengths you'll probably find that confidence you're looking for.

Skier31

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Hi - I believe that ski preference is a very personal decision.

Loveland usually has demo days in early November. Outdoor Divas has had women's demo days. I would encourage you to go to demo days and try a bunch of different skis and find one that makes your heart sing.

Kimmyt

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Hi - I believe that ski preference is a very personal decision.

Loveland usually has demo days in early November. Outdoor Divas has had women's demo days. I would encourage you to go to demo days and try a bunch of different skis and find one that makes your heart sing.
Are they (LL) doing their demo day this year? I usually go, but I can't find any info about it online.

Bookworm

Angel Diva
I have a pair of 2019 -20 Black Pearl 88 in 159 that I think I may be selling. Probably around $200 plus shipping. They're in excellent shape. Let me know if you are ever interested. I'm not doing much to sell them right now.

newboots

Angel Diva
Hey, @citygirlmeetsnature - so glad to have you! :welcome:

If you find you won't be able to demo before you need new skis, a used pair might be just fine. You can sell them if you find they're not for you.

Anyhow, you came to the right place!

Analisa

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I had a somewhat similar progression through skis. I'm 5'3, and I started with a pair of 152 Dynastar Cham 87s. They're built for a very similar customer profile as the Myriads. Very beginner friendly, but it has a shape that does well off piste. Great for a beginner that's progressing quickly. I definitely thought I didn't like speed, but I did know I needed some additional stability on groomers.

I moved up to a Line Pandora 95, which was easily the softest and most maneuverable mid-90's ski on the market in a 162 after demoing and really struggled with my choice for a few weeks. The Dynastars really got me in the habit of keeping my turns tight and slow, and felt bad when I skied with good form, shoulders downhill, weight forward, etc. They were great on groomers, but they felt like a lot of ski elsewhere on the mountain. But after ~5 days, we started to get along and I figured out what kind of input they liked. I also figured out that I didn't mind speed. I minded instability and feeling out of control.

I've had a few friends make similar switches even without a big jump in length and shopping for your 2nd ski is easily the worst experience. All of your skiing and progression has been on 1 model that likes a certain style and forgives certain habits, and suddenly you get a new model you feel ready for and it takes you on an ego bruising. I definitely recommend giving them a few days and easing into it, starting on greens or easy blues and taking a stepwise progression into tougher terrain.

Now to talk about models, the Myriad is a really soft flex that's definitely beginner-approachable and lightweight friendly, so I can see how it has been a great companion. It is a wood core without any laminates that help stiffen up the ski, which makes it happiest at slow speeds. For your next ski, I'd go a little longer (that extra surface area will pay off dividends in powder) and something with a slightly stiffer build. Fiberglass laminates would be 1 step up. They're still fairly soft and approachable. Carbon laminates would be 2 steps up. They stiffen the ski without adding tons of weight, and tend to be more finesse and lightweight skier friendly. The Ripstick 94 fits in that class. The 3rd step up from there would be metal laminates, which really add weight and stiffness to a ski.

The Ripstick isn't the only option in that width class. I own the 102 W and I find it's extremely stiff and light, which doesn't provide the best suspension. I have skis that are light & soft that have the flexibility to absorb the bounciness in chopped up powder, and I have heavier, stiff skis that blast right through it. But I find that the newest construction of the Ripsticks get a bit of tip deflection and you feel it down the entire length of the ski. The ones that I think compete well against it are:

Armada Victa 93: This ski is discontinued, but has units on clearance. These are some of the easiest all-mountain skis on the market and they still use fiberglass laminates, but it will be a modest adjustment from the Myriads.
Volkl Blaze 94: Similar to the Victa 93. No carbon. But it does have a rearward mounting point that's typical for Volkl, so it rewards you for getting forward in a confident stance. An intermediate friend picked these up for touring after struggling with her Vantage 97 Cs (C's for carbon). She found these much more playful and approachable. She's also a tall & thin stringbean who has to think about how her weight influences the force she can put on a ski.
Line Pandora 94: They added carbon to the newest iteration of the Pandora, but it isn't as stiff and planky as the new Ripstick. The friend with the Blaze's found these a bit more demanding than the Blaze.
Blizzard Sheeva 9: These do have a partial metal laminate under the midsection of the ski, but they do a few other things construction wise to make it easy to ski. They made the tips quite soft to aid turn initiation, and they move the mount point more forward compared to peer skis, which also makes turns easier. The tails are soft & forgiving, and they're heavily rockered, which makes skiing feel surfier and makes it more nimble vs feeling locked into a turn. They're super nimble skis that are a blast in the trees and the bumps. And the metal underfoot really helps with stability and feeling grounded on groomers or when I'm at speed. I wish that the wider Sheeva 10 had been on the market when I bought my Pandora 95s, since I think they would've been an even better choice. Great quiver of 1 ski for a variety of snow conditions that really caters to a slower speed control freak that could match my style when I'm cautious, but really rewarded me when I skied more confidently. The "Blaze" friend also owns these as her inbound setup.
Maiden 91: Similar shape to the Sheeva 9 with the rockered tips & tails and nimble, surfy feel. But instead of metal underfoot, they use fiberglass laminates through the entire length of the ski. These are also made by a Colorado brand and should be easy to find as a demo.
Liberty Genesis 90: Similar to the Maiden & Sheeva with the rockered tails. These are bamboo, which is a really poppy, flexible wood that's easy to bend. They're stiffened with a mix of fiberglass, carbon, and 1 metal stringer (vs. heavier skis with a full sheet).
Older Black Pearls (pre 2020-2021 version): These laminates were fiberglass with a dash of carbon and used poplar, which is a light and flexible wood species. The new model is a hybrid wood core with some stiffer, denser species mixed in, and it adds a layer of titanal. It went from a 1300g ski to 1600g ski and meets a different customer profile. If the Ripsticks felt like a little much, the new BP88 matches it or is a little more demanding.
New longer Myriads, Pandora 84s, Mindbender 85s, or Maven 86s. If you want to keep your upgrade most conservative, these 4 skis have no laminates. Going longer will make them more stable (both between length and the fact that they make skis a touch stiffer for the larger people on larger skis). I think based on what you like to ski, the prior models offer you more room to grow without being wildly overwhelming.

From everything you like to ski, you definitely need something with more room to grow than the Myriads. Whatever you land on, ease into it and commit to a few days. Any different ski is going to have a different feel, but it's done wonders for my skiing to learn to adapt to different skis, and to learn what kinds of input always seem to yield good results (aka good technique). Sending lots of good vibes for the acquaintance process with whichever skis you land on, but I promise it's worth it in the end!

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cholinga