• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

U.P. Michigan?

ski4fun

Angel Diva
Wondering if anyone has any recommendations for skiing the U.P. in Michigan, also any suggestions for lodging for a couple nights? Thanks

abc

Banned
Surprise no one from Michigan has responded...

UP Mighigan is actually quite big. Where about do you have in mind? (like, are you coming in from the Wisconsin side, Canadian side, LP?)

[EDIT]

I just notice your location is Minnesota. So perhaps you're thinking of the western side of UP?

MaineSkiLady

Angel Diva
I'm surprised as well, as I know some of our members have definitely been to this region. My experience w/it is somewhat ancient, but here goes:

From west to east, here are your choices:
1. Whitecap Mt., Montreal, WI - actually a few miles over the border into WI. Not a lot of vertical but actually a very fun and interesting place to ski. Has a double chair that crosses two peaks that is....interesting...(:eek: HIGH)

2. Powderhorn, Bessemer, MI - quite spread out, mostly intermediate stuff but fun

3. Indianhead, Wakefield, MI (sadly, Blackjack, to its west, is now closed, was a very nice place) - arguably the busiest, has the most advanced terrain of all these choices and the most vertical, also interesting in its set-up of lodge on top, ski down from there.

HOWEVER - if you want to drive further, two worthwhile destinations are:

4. Porcupine Mountain, just east of the Porkies (terrific park!), some great glades and cruisers; and,

5. Mt. Bohemia (right next to the above), the new one that has opened since I left this region, supposedly quite gnarly, cliffs and all. NO snowmaking, all natural, plan accordingly.

All of the above have easily found websites.

Lots of mom-and-pop-type motels in the region, most of them in Ironwood, MI, which is right over the WI-MI border in MI, adjacent to Hurley, WI, which also has lodging choices. My input is ancient, but I have stayed at the Holiday Inn in Hurley. Typical Holiday Inn, does have indoor pool, etc. Not sure of its status/condition at this point, this was 20+ years ago.

Heads up: all the UP resorts EXCEPT Porkies & Mt Bohemia, are on CENTRAL TIME. Head north of the southern half of UP, and everything is on EASTERN TIME, so a day at Porcupine Mt or Bohemia requires some timing forethought!

Hope you get some input from others with more recent experience.

Another possibility for you: Lutsen, on the northern shore of Lake Superior in MN. Worth the trip! BIG resort, good skiing, amazing views, recommended destination!

ski4fun

Angel Diva
Thanks

Thanks abc and msl, we are in Minnesota and just realized we are only 4-5 hours away from there and the fact that they always get fresh snow sounds good. We were thinking of Big Powderhorn, Indianhead and also Whitecap in Wi. And yes we have been to Lutsen many times and just love it, one of the chairlifts there runs right over a ragging river in spring!! complete with a huge net over it for anyone unlucky enough to fall off. My son is always looking for new places to go close to home since we can only make it out west 1X during spring break due to his school schedule and $$ of course.

Jenny

Angel Diva
Sorry, I can't respond - I've never skiied in the UP, even though I'm from Michigan. We always continue on through to Canada.

The only names I even know up there are Marquette Mountain and Mount Bohemia. And Mount Bohemia is the wild one that doesn't groom anything (or maybe just one/two trails). See how helpful I'm not?

marge

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Sorry. I'm in Michigan as well and have never skied up there either. :noidea: I do have friends that loved the Porkies and Bohemia. Bohemia is probably expert level only with either powder or ice.

Have fun! :smile:

skidaup

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Blackjack has re-opened. The only hills on central time in the U.P. are on the West end. I recommend Marquette Mountain, Bohemia, and Indianhead/Blackjack. Indianhead and Blackjack are pretty close together. Marquette Mountain is a college town with some good restaurants. If you have any questions about Marquette just let me know. Note that Bohemia is expert only and not groomed.

volklgirl

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Indianhead, Blackjack, Powderhorn, and Whitecap are all within a 1/2 hour drive of each other with Bessemer or Ramsey being a central location for lodging. As far as skiing, Indianhead is a little odd in its layout, and likes to put on airs, but it has exceptional grooming and some awesome steeps. Blackjack is by far the most laid back and friendly with plenty of areas left in a more "natural" state. Powderhorn is a sprawling area with tons of stuff for everyone. Whitecap is a big area with separate mountains and is the closest to "out west" skiing you'll find in the midwest (besides Bohemia). Unfortunately, it also has antiquated lifts and base areas.

The 1 - 1 1/2 hour drive from there to Porcupine (The Porkies) is well worth it. Their views are incredible, their grooming is top-notch, and it's a smallish, very intimate area with a stunning base lodge.

Marquette is a fairly challenging area. We didn't spend a lot of time there....I thought it was OK, but hubby wasn't impressed. The fact that we got dumped on the whole time we were there and he didn't have a clue how to ski powder at the time could have something to do with that.

Mt Bohemia is a midwest gem. It's a rustic, true skier's, area. No snowmaking, no grooming, no cafeteria, no lodge. Just genuine black and double black skiing.

A week spent skiing in the western UP is a trip that you'll truly remember without paying the big $$ to fly/ski out west. Keep in mind, though, that it's a pretty rustic area and there aren't a ton of other things to do. There is a pretty good ski shop (Big Snow Outfitters), but I can't remember if it's in Bessemer or Ramsey.

ski4fun

Angel Diva
Thanks to all

Wow, Thanks to all of you for the detailed information. You guys are so great!! Now it looks as though it might be a while till we can go, my 12 year old son is being treated for Lyme disease and we have had some complications arise, I am planning on starting a new post about all this because I think most people think they know about Lyme disease but there have been BIG changes in the last few years and the public is not being kept informed at all!! I guess it will make it even more fun when he gets well and we can get back to skiing.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cholinga