• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

Help Needed: TSTw or Atomic Elysian?

Carolyn Crabb

Diva in Training
Hi,
Being stuck in the UK, I am not going to get the chance to demo before I buy and go for my weeks fix in the Alps. I'm hearing great things about the TSTw but my local shop is suggesting the Elysians over the TSTw. Much as I want to play in the powder (when and if we get some!), I do still want to ski the groomers at speed especially as I'll still be spending some time on them with my two kids (5 & 7). Has anyone demo'd both skis? Does the TSTw give a better edge? I'm concerned that the Elysians will be too soft. Also I'm 5'4" and medium build (sorry don't know my weight in lbs...) and I like to ski agressively (intermediate to advanced), would I need to go over the 160cm in length?

Appreciate any help.............thanks.

Jilly

Staff member
Welcome to our world. You can use kg, just no stones please!

I think the 160's would be the right length. I haven't had a chance to demo either of these, as powder is elusive here in eastern Canada.

mustski

Angel Diva
Welcome. I am 5'2" and medium build. I ski a 163 in my all mountain ski (Volkl Aura) so I think the 160 is probably just about right for you. I also have not demoed either ski. I have heard that the TSTs tend to be chattery at speed on hard snow. They prefer a softer snow. Diva Shima skis TSTs and can probably tell you more. I'm sure there are other divas here who will chime in shortly.

snow addict

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I haven't tried Elysian but I own TST and it is a very good ski. Men's version is claimed to be a touch stiffer so if this is a concern you should get it instead of TSTw. They are good on groomers, very maneuverable but not exactly chargers, rocker is substantial and will deflect on hard pack at speed. Still a fun and versatile ski. 165 cm should work well for you.

Carolyn Crabb

Diva in Training
Wow, thanks for all the replies. I wish I had discovered this site sooner and saved myself hours trawling the internet for info! If only I could afford two pairs of skis... but I am definately leaning towards the TST's but maybe the mens. I weight about 62Kg (I convince myself thats a medium build...I'm happy with my illusions...), if that helps.

If anyone can convince me that I should be looking at a completely different ski to the ones I have mentioned then please chime in. I like the reviews for the Blizzard Black Pearl too but am worried about how narrow it is underfoot for playing off piste. Has anybody tried the Nordica Belle to Belle yet?

Snow Addict, any proper snow forecast for the Alps yet? Where do you ski? We've just bought a small (and I mean very very small) appartment in Morillon, Grand Massif, hence why I want to play more off piste since we're going to be going to the same resort from now on. Just can't wait to go.....

thanks again.........:beer:

mustski

Angel Diva
I can highly recommend the Volkl Aura. It charges on the groomers and floats in the powder. It is lightweight and for a 98 waist it is surprising quick edge to edge. I skied it on everything last year because our conditions were so variable - everything from crud to rock hard corduroy to thigh deep powder and it was fantastic all the way around. It is a very versatile ski.

Magnatude

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I ski with two women who are probably a similar build to you, both ski fast and confidently, and both on the Elysian, which they love for all conditions. One of them spent a day prior to purchasing demoing Volkl skis (Aura, Kiku, and RTM 84: the latter two she especially liked) but I think she's really happy with the Elysian.

SnowHot

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Wow, thanks for all the replies. I wish I had discovered this site sooner and saved myself hours trawling the internet for info! If only I could afford two pairs of skis... but I am definately leaning towards the TST's but maybe the mens. I weight about 62Kg (I convince myself thats a medium build...I'm happy with my illusions...), if that helps.

If anyone can convince me that I should be looking at a completely different ski to the ones I have mentioned then please chime in. I like the reviews for the Blizzard Black Pearl too but am worried about how narrow it is underfoot for playing off piste. Has anybody tried the Nordica Belle to Belle yet?

Snow Addict, any proper snow forecast for the Alps yet? Where do you ski? We've just bought a small (and I mean very very small) appartment in Morillon, Grand Massif, hence why I want to play more off piste since we're going to be going to the same resort from now on. Just can't wait to go.....

The Elysian is fun and playful, with "quicker than you'd think" edge to edge transitions, but its not as strong in the powder as the TSTW. The TSTW is strong(isn) in powder and decent on groomers and crud but the front side is not where it excels.

The Black Pearl is a fine ski but for what you're looking at, I'd consider the Samba above it, and am confident that you'll get more versatility than any of the other skis that have been suggested.

Carolyn Crabb

Diva in Training
Right, I have put the Volkl Aura and TST down as stong contenders and have also reinsted the Elysian on my list. I've decided against the Black Pearls and the Belle to Belle, as being too narrow. That leaves the Samba which I have to say is looking very good on a lot of reviews. My only concern is that all the reviews are saying that you cannot be slack with it, it is unforgiving. Has anyone find that tiring, or is that part over-hyped?

mustski

Angel Diva
Right, I have put the Volkl Aura and TST down as stong contenders and have also reinsted the Elysian on my list. I've decided against the Black Pearls and the Belle to Belle, as being too narrow. That leaves the Samba which I have to say is looking very good on a lot of reviews. My only concern is that all the reviews are saying that you cannot be slack with it, it is unforgiving. Has anyone find that tiring, or is that part over-hyped?
Again, I haven't skied the Samba yet ... it's on my short list ... but, the reviewers said the same thing about the Aura. I haven't found that to be true of the Aura. At 53 yrs old, I definitely take some "kick back" runs or I wouldn't be able to keep up with the teenagers all day. Don't get me wrong, when I slip into the backseat the ski lets me know immediately, but not in a overbearing way. Any advanced ski will let you know if you slip into the back seat. If anything, the Aura is more forgiving than my carvers. I would guess that if you have good technique, you will be fine with any of the skis on your list, including the Samba.

Carolyn Crabb

Diva in Training
I've gone and done it! I've made a decision, which alone is an amazing achievement in itself! I went into the shop, and sat in front of the TST, Elysian and Rockette (the 3 they recommended, and to be fair they just don't stock Volkl or Blizzard so I was hardly going to get much info about them) and tried to work out if I would really be able to make a decision if I had 5 to choose from instead. In the end, I just won't know until I get out onto the snow so I just had to go with something that covered the bases. I'll probably have get most of my fixes in the side country before heading back to pick the kids up, so I went for the Elysian. More of a compromise on the powder but not as much as the Rockette. It looks such a great fun ski and I just can't wait to get out there. All we need now is snow! Come on...............:ski:
ps. thanks for all your help..I know I will be looking sideways at the Auras and Sambas and wondering, but hopefully only as I'm passing at speed, lol.x

snow addict

Ski Diva Extraordinaire

I usually ski in Verbier with occasional trips to Chamonix. It's supposed to start snowing next week but I don't know about any longer-term forecast. So far it doesn't look very different from last year, when it was still quite warm and slopes were more brown than white at this time, so I am hoping it will be at least as good as last season.

Liquid Yellow

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Hiya Carolyn, good news on the new skis!

A pretty decent fall of snow's forecast for the Alps next week, followed by cold temperatures. Should set the new season up nicely. I'm off to Val d'Isere in three weeks, can't wait!

B

B.E.G.

I've heard great things about both, but especially about the Elysian! I was considering that ski (versus the Black Pearls) before deciding I wanted something that was a bit narrower underfoot. But I was really torn. The people I've talked to all describe it as a very poppy, fun ski - you'll have to come back and let us know what you think!

Stowski

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I love that ski! Congratulations!

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cholinga