• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

TriMom217 is now SnoQueen, with pictures!

Swamp Dog

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
so my 73 year old father decided to he needed a project in his retirement. He has a lifetime of photographs on slides in his basement so he's been working on putting them on CD for me and my brother. Of course the skiing ones are my favorites. These were taken on 2/17/1963, my 10th birthday. My brother was 7. Anyone care to venture a guess as to where we were skiing?

1st: Heading out:
scan0029.jpg

2nd: T-Bar. Dig the Awesome Bruins hat tho
scan0023.jpg

3rd: waiting for the lesson that I KNOW I need!
1973.jpg

4th: I don't know how they got me in a lift chair. That was the scariest thing for me to try to do but here it is:
scan0028.jpg

5th: Look at these moves!
scan0018.jpg

6th: Bro-ski needed a boost in to the lift chair:
scan0013.jpg

and the new avatar pic:
scan0024.jpg

Jilly

Staff member
K2's SkiMave. OMG I remember those safety straps too and skiing in jeans. Sorry no idea where the pics are from.

SkiMave

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Thanks Jilly.

Yeah, night skiing at Avila in the early 70's........-20 (celsius) and in jeans.

I finally broke down and bought 'warm ups' that zipped up both sides that you'd wear over the jeans !! Too funny.......

SkiMave

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Oh Snowqueen! Jean cut offs!! How the memories come flooding back. These pictures are really good. Thanks for sharing.....

PS: You looked bored to tears in Intercourse !! Hilarious.....

MaineSkiLady

Angel Diva
Definitely K2's. Remember them well. Think I even rented some once! :eek:

Great pix, SQ - I'm gonna have to get used to your new name!!

It's a big job to make all the transfers. I do some every year up here during the dreaded and, for me, quarantined (I'm allergic) Black Fly Season. Lasts for at least 6 weeks. I get lots of stuff done inside. Slides are the toughest to scan, take forever (3 minutes per slide on my scanner!!).

So glad you've got these now for posterity!! Hooray for your dad! :smile:

Jilly

Staff member
I finally broke down and bought 'warm ups' that zipped up both sides that you'd wear over the jeans !! Too funny.......
I had a pair too, they were slippery and waterprooof. I kinda of thought of them as ski diapers. Now :focus:

Swamp Dog

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Oh Snowqueen! Jean cut offs!! How the memories come flooding back. These pictures are really good. Thanks for sharing.....
at least I had the legs for them back then LOL

PS: You looked bored to tears in Intercourse !! Hilarious.....
I wonder if I even got the joke back then!

Marilyn, it must be a very tedious and time consuming project for him because every once in a while I remind him that I haven't had a new disk in a while and he goes back to it.

A 1972 camping trip in a 1970 2-door Chevy Nova.....good times!

Jilly

Staff member
I've a friend who's dad is into a similar project. Only he's not scanning. He's projecting the slides onto a screen and taking digital pictures of them. I saw some, seems to work.

Swamp Dog

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
well, I need to go to bed, I'm subbing at the high school at 7AM. But I'll leave you with this: McIntyre Ski Area, Manchester NH. I was surprised to find it's still operating. Even back then it seemed small.

Oh, I have no idea about the skis, just that they were rentals.

snowsparkle2

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Snoqueen, those pics are brilliant. I love the ski school meeting place one - even tho you do look a bit done-in!

Talking of photos - how do i get my picture to come up on the posts ? I am so rubbish at computers :redface:

Kiragirl

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
very cute, reminds me of skiing at Faunstock Park (Hudson Valley NY) waaaaaay back when. 3 trails 2 lifts

Swamp Dog

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Are those big circular medallion things on you and your bro the lift ticket?

I think that's what they are. Man, I wish I still had those!

MSL, I think they are K2s. You can almost make out the K on the bottom of the tip in one of the pictures.

...and yes! They are K2's!!

Red, white and blue stripe was a DEAD giveaway! My sister had those skis! :becky:

SnowHot

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Oh My!
Those are K2's like the ones this gentleman is holding up
500x500_5_0_0.jpg

I learned on skis like that , with the strap instead of brakes.
If your ski came off on a long-ish, steep-ish run, it would beat you to death before you'd stop!

Thanks for the memories!

Kiragirl

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
my friend also had those K2's. and another friend broke his face because his ski with the safety strap came up and hit him in the face after it came out of his binding

(love that guy's WHITE boots, aaaackk)

Swamp Dog

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
oh GEEEZE....I just noticed....I wrote that the pictures were taken on 2/17/63, my 10th birthday. Well, since I was BORN in '63, that would make me 10 in 1973!

I was just telling my son yesterday (before I even did this thread) that every time I write 2/17 I also write 63..habit from writing DOB I guess.

Anyhow I was 10 in 1973!! oy.....

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cholinga