• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

Tree well safety and deep snow immersion

MissySki

Angel Diva
Always a good reminder for using the buddy system in certain terrain and conditions! I ski mostly in the east, so you’d think this wouldn’t be as much of a concern, but there have definitely been stories I’ve heard to the contrary. I’ve also gotten completely stuck in a large wind blown snow pile going over a roller at Sunday River on a powder day. I went over and just completely sunk in up to my waist, I couldn’t move at all and my skis got all twisted under me so I was kind of in a seated legs crossed position. This obviously wasn’t a life threatening situation, but it made me appreciate how quickly you can get significantly stuck and need help in deep soft snow, I’m just happy it was feet first and not head first! It still made me panic that I couldn’t move my legs at all, so I can’t imagine the worst case scenario where breathing is impaired, I think it’s good to think about and be prepared for just in case. Also, even without significant snowfall or tree wells, it’s best practice to keep an eye on your buddy and regroup often whenever you’re in the trees together. I always like to mention something to this effect if I’m skiing with someone new in there, better to set expectations ahead of time, that isn’t the time to make assumptions that you’re on the same page and watching out for each other.

https://www.snowsbest.com/rescue-tree-well/

marzNC

Angel Diva
Definitely worth reviewing info about tree wells during every pre-season. The best source I've found related to tree wells and Snow Immersion Suffocation (SIS) is Deep Snow Safety. It's an educational website set up around 2016. They have several good videos to get with clear explanations.

https://www.deepsnowsafety.org

My first experience getting stuck near a tree was at Homewood in north Tahoe about ten years ago. It was the first day of my first mid-season trip after starting to ski more than groomers. My ski buddy was ahead of me. We'd taken that route before and he was making sure to keep up speed on the relatively flat run-out trail back to the lift. There was fresh snow, so I was a little off the side of the trail having a good time just going straight. Happened to look at a "tree" that was about 4 feet high that I was about to pass. This was before I started skiing terrain with trees (look BETWEEN the trees). Ended up with my skis on either side of the tree top. No danger, but it took me a lot longer to get untangled because I had to move very slowly or else I would sink deeper. Had to pop a binding and carefully move away from the tree to firmer snow. The memory is very clear.

ilovepugs

Angel Diva
Thanks for posting! Tree skiing safety should always be top of mind!

During winter storm Stella in March 2017, two young men in their 20s got stuck in tree wells at Stowe and unfortunately were not discovered in time. It was a horrific incident that drilled the fear of tree wells into me.

newboots

Angel Diva
I don’t have the link, but there is a YouTube video of a patrol training for tree well safety in which one went head first into a tree well! It was terrifying, but the guy was surrounded by rescuers. They got him out petty quickly but he was certainly panicked. Awful.

ETA: I decided it was dumb to post this without the link. Here it is. I could feel the fear just seeing the beginning of it - so scary!

Abbi

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I'm for all of this. I also agree with the patroller who suggested not going off piste without backup. This conversation came when he said he was about to drop the rope on a tree area. I said the few times I play off the groomers I want someone with me (to collect the carcass!). The patroller said he recommends at least three people together, for the 'just in case' moments. If one is injured, one can ski for help, while the third remains with the injured person, rather than leaving them alone.

newboots

Angel Diva
Watching that video made a believer out of me!

Littlesonique

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
When I first started skiing, I read a story about his dad and son that were skiing in trees and the kid just disappeared. It was a tree well (an d the kid was well deep into the well). The dad finally found him but that has always stuck with me. Never ski trees alone!

dloveski

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
While I don't disagree with the collective diva logic to not ski trees alone, I confess I don't always follow this. I hate skiing with a group in trees---I'm more worried about colliding as we each meander through our respective forest lines.

But.....I do ski solo in tree runs that I know well (mostly), only when the snow depth and conditions are OK for the given runs, and I ski the trees at a slow cadence (whether I'm alone or not).

sibhusky

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Yes, I preach against it, but have skied trees alone myself. It depends on conditions, but I'm always a poke in the trees here (you can't see around them, they're coniferous, so I'm always stopping to find a path, and I know to stay on the traveled lines if they are discernable). The twos times I've fallen in treed areas where I couldn't get up were both with friends and I wasn't in a well of any kind it was just the snow was really really deep and weren't high traffic areas. The tree well problem without the tree. As I've aged my interest in trees has lessened anyway. And last season I wasn't physically ready until the season was almost over. Postholing to retrieve lost equipment takes a lot of work.

Chuyi

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
:bump:

Keep in mind that not all mountains have the type of trees and deep snowfall that make tree wells an issue for most of the season. When in doubt, can always ask a ski patroller.
There is still a risk of collision. No matter how good you are.

marzNC

Angel Diva
There is still a risk of collision. No matter how good you are.
My comment about regional differences is related to tree wells and Snow Immersion Suffocation (SIS), not the risk of injury if someone hits a tree. In the southeast and mid-Atlantic where snow depth is rarely more than 3 feet and there are not the type of trees commonly found in the PacNW and the Rockies, skiers who are good enough to play in the trees do not need to be that concerned about a tree well. However, if they take trips out west then they should learn as much as possible about how to avoid being trapped in a tree well beforehand.

TiffAlt

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
All ends well but eek, this is kinda tough to watch. Tree well rescue at Baker.

Saw that! That wasn't even his partner, he just came upon him - literally skied basically right over him! I could not believe he was ok and breathing - who knows how long he could have been in there otherwise. Miracle.

marzNC

Angel Diva
All ends well but eek, this is kinda tough to watch. Tree well rescue at Baker.

Here's more of the story from the snowboarder's perspective.

March 30, 2023

jthree

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Whoa, so scary to watch! I've never seen that much snow so I don't think I really understood what tree wells were before seeing this video. So good that the skier found him.

marzNC

Angel Diva
Here's more of the story from the snowboarder's perspective.

March 30, 2023
Noticed a comment on the YouTube video that was posted last week:

"The guy in the tree well is my ski buddy's uncle. Has 30 years of boarding experience up at Baker, knows his #### but got unlucky. Tried to shoot those narrow trees hoping for an opening below but wound up taking a tumble in the wrong place. My friend was telling me that he was in there for about 5 minutes before this man saved his life. It is a miracle and an excellent example of the dangers of deep snow immersion and tree wells. Even if you know the mountain, are skiing with friends and are an expert rider, the mountain does not care and can humble you quickly."

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LaurieAnna