• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

Trail running, anybody?

liquidfeet

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I discovered trail running last summer when I had a change of heart about trail riding on my hardtail bike. What happened was I wore out the fork, had it replaced, didn't like the new fork and couldn't put out major dough for a new bike. A good dual suspension bike is the only appropriate machine for riding the technical trails around here.

So I just converted to running the trails. Got shoes, go run, it's that simple. Or so I thought. I loved it so much that I ramped up my times too fast, and suffered numerous knee problems and plantar fasciitis to boot. Got that fixed and then loved the rest of the summer - I was among the trees every day. I'll do the same this summer, exploring the trails riddling the woods around my home on the north shore of Boston. These trails are twisty-turny, uppie-downie, rocky-rooty, sometimes scrambly, very narrow and isolated trails that the daredevils in body armor ride on their bikes. I rarely run into anyone. I usually see tire tracks in the mud, and sometimes coyote scat, but that's about all.

Who are the ski divas that run trails? Anyone as passionate about trail running as about skiing??? It's almost as addicting for me as being on the snow.

Swamp Dog

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
not me. Broke my ankle the first and only time I ever did it. The saddest part of that is, we were just cutting through to get to a street that had a hill good for repeats. I never made it that far.

I'd like to know how you cleared up the PF though. I can't seem to shake it. Odd to get it now when i have run in years.

liquidfeet

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I think I did some gentle stretches, which I found on internet spots devoted to fixing plantar faciitis with physical therapy...and ibuprophen, lots of it. I called my pharmacist and got the ok first, though. Time passed, and it got better.

prairiedawn

Certified Ski Diva
I'm a trail runner and am in a couple trail running clubs. It's hard to say if I'm as passionate about it as skiing--it's like apples and oranges. (Trail running is more like the skinning part of skiing than the skiing part....) I also think that trail running helps with skiing, in several ways mental and physical, but probably not the other way around. I can also say that the comraderie I have with my fellow trail runners is awesome. A lot of trailrunners are ultrarunners, who are a unique bunch. I trail run year 'round now and hate running on pavement. In fact, I get more injuries on pavement than on trail, esp. at longer distances. Find a group to trail run with and you'll probably love it even more.

liquidfeet

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Prairie Dawn,
I would love to find someone to run with. But so far I have been unable to find anyone. Still looking ......

Glad to hear someone on SkiDiva loves trails as I do.

dloveski

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Getting into the trail running----doing at least one rave run per week on the Bonneville Shoreline trail at 18th Ave above SLC.

--the hills kick my butt.

--the flowers and grasses and morning breeze are intoxicating.

--the view of the city and the Great Salt Lake are awesome.

--Perfect way to augment my fitness regimen and then the flat longer runs seem easy.

Any Utah Divas interested in early morning rave runs with me---let me know. great way to jump start the day at least one day per week.

dloveski

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I am trying to mix it up and do a trail run once / week at least, to make my runs more interesting and to gain strength in my legs. Uphill is humbling---esp. when it's steep and you have to walk near the top.

So I really appreciate the accomplishment of one of my staff who ran the Wahsatch Steeplechase this last Saturday, 18 miles of trail, 5,000 vertical, some climbing on the ridge, and steep downs in wet mud single track----and...

drum roll....she came in at just over 2.5 hrs and was THIRD (womens).

She won a pair of Montrail running shoes. And she was the only one of the top 5 women that was NOT a pro and she had no coach, unlike the other top contenders.

https://www.wahsatchsteeplechase.com/

Yeah for Emily!!! (some Divas met her at Solitude, she was one of the hosts who helped me at the Diva reception).

Pequenita

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I would love to get more into single track trail running, although the few times I've done it I've been challenged by my irrational fear of snakes: every time I heard something rustle in the leaves, I leaped into the air. I'm sure it was just a chipmunk or something, but I definitely injected random plyometrics into the workout!

dloveski

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I would love to get more into single track trail running, although the few times I've done it I've been challenged by my irrational fear of snakes: every time I heard something rustle in the leaves, I leaped into the air. I'm sure it was just a chipmunk or something, but I definitely injected random plyometrics into the workout!

wow, I thought that was just my own phobia. I've been running on Wasatch Blvd, a freakin' two lane on the foothills, and the dead rattlesnakes on the road lately have freaked me out. When I'm on the single track, every stick makes me react, 'oh no, mr. snake is out to get me, yeeeekkks'.

Trail running does bring up those fears, but unless I hear the rattler shaking, I think the benefits of the free runs offset the dangers.

dloveski

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I'm getting addicted now to the trails. Yesterday, I ran the Bonneville Shoreline trail mid-day. I haven't made the commitment to trail running in terms of shoes---so still in my conventional running shoes (to save some $).

Biffed it on an uphill patch. Boom. Scraped my knee. But even worse---

Lost my Suunto foot pod, but did not notice until I got back to the office. So, I will not be clocking my speed/miles for a while---I will miss uploading the data to my computer.

This a.m. went back to the scene of the crime---ran for about an hour up and down the tracks seeking my foot pod----no luck.

Will have to buy some trail shoes---almost biffed it a couple of times, as running shoes just don't provide the stability needed for varying terrain and loose rocks.

Getting into the ups and downs and solitude of single track running---for long stretches, I am truly alone and the scene and trail are changing constantly.

prairiedawn

Certified Ski Diva
Trail running shoes can make a big difference on rough or muddy trails. I highly recommend the Vasque Velocity. They're often on sale (e.g., sierratradingpost now has them for $29--a steal!). They run a little large, but you want your running shoes at least a half size longer than usual when you're running long distances as your feet will swell. Don't forget good socks (e.g., Smartwool).

dloveski

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I snagged a pair of Montrail Continental Divides from backcountry.com (40% off). I tested them last night in Sugarhouse park on the trails to see how they fit/felt.

In the morning, me and the Montrails hit the foothill single track. These shoes would be good for regular hiking as well, it seems.

dloveski

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
They're often on sale (e.g., sierratradingpost now has them for $29--a steal!).

they were---but only available in size 5 (about 1/2 the size of my foot). but you are to blame for my purchase of montrails....

liquidfeet

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I'm getting addicted now to the trails. Yesterday, I ran the Bonneville Shoreline trail mid-day. I haven't made the commitment to trail running in terms of shoes---so still in my conventional running shoes (to save some $).

Biffed it on an uphill patch. Boom. Scraped my knee. But even worse---

Lost my Suunto foot pod, but did not notice until I got back to the office. So, I will not be clocking my speed/miles for a while---I will miss uploading the data to my computer.

This a.m. went back to the scene of the crime---ran for about an hour up and down the tracks seeking my foot pod----no luck.

Will have to buy some trail shoes---almost biffed it a couple of times, as running shoes just don't provide the stability needed for varying terrain and loose rocks.

Getting into the ups and downs and solitude of single track running---for long stretches, I am truly alone and the scene and trail are changing constantly.

"Biffed it" -- a term I'm unfamiliar with. But "biffed it" I did the last time I ran on the rocky/twisty/turny/rooty/uppie/downie trail that is my favorite. I landed flat on both knees tripping while running downhill Thank goodness I landed both of them on dirt. There were rocks everywhere. The bruises hurt worse than other knee injury that I'm more familiar with (tendon/ligament wear and tear), but at least those bruises are healing fast.

So, I'm thinking of wearing knee pads next time I'm out to protect myself from "biffs." Anybody else do that? Any suggestions?

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LaurieAnna