• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

TR Wachusett mountain 11/25

cyn

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Well, we finally got out for our first day of skiing. We didn't feel like driving all the way up to Mt Snow, so we took the easy way out and spent the day at Wachusett.
We got to the mountain before 7:30. It was surprisingly chilly the first few runs, but it warmed up pretty quickly . There were just two runs open, - Conifer and Tenth Mountain - both off the Polar Express. Nothing open yet on Northeastern.
They had done the best they could with snowmaking, and coverage was decent in the early morning, but there were the usual racing clinics and lessons and instructor orientations etc, which made for two very crowded runs by 11 am.
We did 15 runs and called it quits at 1:30, because by then, it was getting way too crowded and some boilerplate was starting to show, along with the usual early season pebbles.
Still, it was great to be back on the snow! My legs are pleasantly stiff this morning.

Ice Queen

Certified Ski Diva
I'm glad you had fun, Cyn. That is one of my beefs with Wachusett also, that they charge a bunch for lift tickets then crowd the slopes with their racers, etc. They ought to at least put up a sign at the ticket window (and a note on their web site) when they're holding races, especially when they're closing trails for racing.

soundgarden

Certified Ski Diva
I was there too yesterday!! :smile: My thoughts were pretty much the same as yours. I spent most of the day on Conifer, which given the weather, was in good condition. The crowds were there, but most of the time there barely was a line at the lift. I definitely did notice the abundance of orientations, etc., though...

We managed to get 10-12 runs in and left around 2:30PM. Overall, it was a pretty good first day of the season!

Severine

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I'm glad you had fun, Cyn. That is one of my beefs with Wachusett also, that they charge a bunch for lift tickets then crowd the slopes with their racers, etc. They ought to at least put up a sign at the ticket window (and a note on their web site) when they're holding races, especially when they're closing trails for racing.
I totally agree with this on any mountain. There's nothing worse than going to a small mountain (even taking a day off from work to go) and finding out it's taken over by ski racers. :rolleyes:

Still, it must have been nice to get out! :snow:

cyn

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Wachusett does many things very well. The snowmaking and grooming are usually excellent, and they offer a free ski watch which is cool. I also appreciate the other things they do like the annual swap meet, where my husband and I can sell our older equipment and there's plenty of gear for kids.
Having said that, this racing team business is a huge drag, and on a small mountain like that, also dangerous IMHO. I object to paying full price for a lift ticket, only to find that one of the two black runs is closed for the better part of the day.
Also in mid-season, the weekend crowds are horrendous, so we don't even bother going then.
Living in southern RI, Wachusett is certainly more convenient for us, but we've bought passes at Mt Snow, and will spend most of the season there.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cholinga