• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

Help Needed: Torn ACL- Denver Divas help please

MaineSkiLady

Angel Diva
So glad you found a surgeon and hopefully can have surgery before 1/1!

Not for ACL surgery. Months maybe.
Agree. Quarterback Tom Brady of the New England Patriots was out for over 6 months, lost the season, it was an early-season injury.

itri

Ski Diva Extraordinaire

Agree. Quarterback Tom Brady of the New England Patriots was out for over 6 months, lost the season, it was an early-season injury.
Yep. Absolute minimum is 3 months, more typical is 6 months to a year.

persee

Ski Diva Extraordinaire

Well to be fair Tom had several complications in his recovery (infection in the joint, etc that required cleaning out) which elongated his recovery time.

But the quickest you can recover really is 4 months, and that's rare due to so many factors. It's also unlikely except for professional athletes which have the kind of physical condition, and physical therapy that most of us can only dream of. For me I was "cleared" in just under 5 months which is extremely unusual for a non-pro athlete. But I had a very limited injury (ACL only), and no complications in surgery or recovery.

NbyNW

Ski Diva Extraordinaire

But his extended journey back to playing condition was because he had a very serious infection post-surgery.

But you're right, I had an accelerated time frame in mind. I was thinking of Rod Woodson, who was back in action in 19 weeks. Injured his ACL early in the season and was able to play in the Superbowl in 1995.

MaineSkiLady

Angel Diva
Back to "whatever" times are going to vary widely: by patient, rehab, doctor's advice. DH had to be back at work by no later than 4/1 for major annual projects. His surgery was 3/2. No ambulation devices are allowed, per OHSA, at his place of work (heavy industrial). He made it, was back in the facility on March 30. With Cryo Cuff in his office...

His rehab and subsequent full release after just over 5 months were nowhere near as intense as my son's rehab, etc., as the latter had been a competitive pro athlete and wanted "the hard stuff." :laugh: He hit his numbers and was given clearance at just under 6 months. (and proceeded to knee #2 just 2 months later :rolleyes: - I frankly don't remember any of those dates, as I was numb).

So there is a huge range in what's deemed appropriately "recovered" by both individual surgeons and physical therapists. Bottom line: trust who you've chosen.

wahineskisk2

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Thank you Wonderful Women for all the support! I'm having surgery today 12/30 at 6pm mountain time. Dr. Hackett added me to his full schedule today to help me out with the insurance issue! Glad I found a doctor with a big heart...

MaineSkiLady

Angel Diva
BEST OF LUCK to you!!!! :grouphug:

Hang in there. SO glad you found a surgeon (and with S-H, no less) who understood the insurance time line. And that you got your extension numbers up! (was key to DH as well, his surgery was 3/2/09)

Well...alas....many are experienced here, several just last season. So when you are all done and doing the first few weeks of confinement and ready to read------have a look through threads here. And, of course, PLEASE keep us updated on how you are doing!!

ski diva

Administrator
Staff member
So wahineskiski2, how'd it go? Hope you're starting the New Year off on the road to a speedy recovery!

wahineskisk2

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
My surgery went very well. Turns out the only damage was a severed ACL and tibial brusing, no tribal plateau fracture. I'm at Vail hospital for another few hours today. Kinda cool my surgeon, Tom Hackett, is the lead Ortho for the US snowboard team.

Thank you all for the well wishes!
And again, Wendy I want you to know how greatful I am that you maintain this community. I feel all the love and support from everyone. :D

Jenny

Angel Diva
Well, no champagne for you tonight but maybe they'll give you an extra serving of pain meds!

Good luck in the healing.

pinto

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Yep Jenny, I've ordered up a narcotic cocktail with an electrolyte chaser...LOL.

:wink:

Best of luck with your healing! I know you can't now, but when DH had his last knee surgery, he had it down to a science, letting the painkiller run out at night just in time for cocktail hour. THen he'd start over the next day. I'm sure that's not a good idea, but it worked for him....

Moongidget

Angel Diva
Good luck to you. My ski season ended MLK weekend of 2008 due to an ACL tear. My best advice to you is to be very upfront with your PT and surgeon about your athletic goals and activities. Being in Summit County, I'd certainly imagine they understand and know the appropriate course of action. It is extremely important to follow their recomendations to a T. Expect a 6-9 month rehab. And once they street you from PT, keep up with the leg strengthening exercises through the next ski season.

MaineSkiLady

Angel Diva
So glad to hear that this is now a DONE DEAL!

Healing wishes.

wahineskisk2

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Hey Everyone, I'm off crutches with full weight on my left leg! :clap:
I have the post surgical articulating brace on when up and about though.

When I'm ready for a stability/activity brace I'm going to order a custom fit CTi athletic brace made by Ossur. It has a ski boot extension accessory that prevents any rotation at the knee. It's endorsed by a bunch of pro athletes for lots of sports. Anyone ever heard of it or perhaps have one?

Here's a link:
https://www.ossur.com/pages/13230

Moongidget

Angel Diva
I didn't use anything like that, but I know a lot of people use braces like that for skiing. If your PT wants you in it, I think you should do as they recommend.

Best of luck in your continued rehab!

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cholinga