• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

Question: Toe curling

Pandita

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I have noticed when I go down the more challenging slopes that I curl/crunch up my toes. I try and relax, but Half way down the slope when I am getting into the groove, I notice this. Any pointers on how to relax, has anyone else done this? I don't think it is my boots because I love my boots ad how they fit. I notice it oly when I go down the more chgallenging slopes, it is as if I am trying to grip onto the snow or something like that.
:snow:

Jilly

Staff member
It's not your boots. I still catch myself doing this. You might not think your scared, but your brain is telling you by curling up your toes. Like you're trying to hold onto something. Relax, remind yourself you've been down this slope/run before or worst. It'll come with practice!!

ski diva

Administrator
Staff member
I think toe curling is pretty commonly associated with anxiety. The more you relax -- the more confident you are about our skiing -- the less you'll do this.

C

CMCM

Omigosh, I did this so bad early last season that my whole toe felt bruised or something and it really hurt. Once I got better about shifting weight and getting more on edge, I stopped doing it. Definitely anxiety contributed, too.

MaineSkiLady

Angel Diva
I recall doing this pre-custom foot beds. The way the foot beds are molded, the option no longer exists. What do you have in your boots? Have you ever tried anything beyond the stock footbed, such as a stock Superfeet insole? They can make a difference, although won't "calm the nerves," so to speak. But when the option to do this isn't even there....just sayin'.

Jenny

Angel Diva
I've noticed this sometimes - but my first anxiety response seems to be dragging the poles behind me. So rather than trying to "grip the snow" I guess I'm trying to slow myself down with the basket of the pole! Or use it as a rudder for steering maybe.

Kano

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I do it -- custom footbeds or no.

So when I discover it, I make all my turns for a while telling myself TOES, TOES, TOES -- between all the other stuf I keep reminding myself of on the challenging runs!

(I do the pole thing too)

Karen in Boise

cinnabon

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I've noticed this sometimes - but my first anxiety response seems to be dragging the poles behind me. So rather than trying to "grip the snow" I guess I'm trying to slow myself down with the basket of the pole! Or use it as a rudder for steering maybe.
I totally do this!:laugh: It's a bad habit I've been trying to stop myself from doing. I do the toe curling too, but to a lesser extent. I do that more when I snowboard because I'm not very confident, and I have a lot more anxiety about it than I do skiing.

lovebug

Certified Ski Diva
Phew - Im so glad that Im not the only one! Usually i notice the toe curling at the same time I notice jerking rotary turns ... the ones that completely stop you on each turn. Then you need to point skis down the fall line to get going again YIKES!! Its definatly a fear thing for me.... I need to talk myself down sometimes, and I dont ski anything I cant ski - sometimes my confindence just *poof* evaporates. I just took my second private lesson this weekend though and we were working on getting the rotary out of my turns, getting more comfie on edge and at speed. Hopefully lots of practice will help!

whitewater girl

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
yep...I curl toes, drag poles, am guilty of jerky, braking turns...yes, when I'm nervous but also when I'm distracted - in fact, most of my pole dragging is simply about me thinking about everything but what I'm doing with my hand/poles...my last lesson taught me how to "tuck" my poles while skiing (which obviously helps - alot!), but I still find I want them when I'm nervous, and about halfway down the hill, when I'm concentrating on everything else I'm doing, I loose track of the hands & start dragging the poles again :rolleyes:

...I find I curl toes even on green runs - and am less likely to do so if I am concentrating heavily on my technique (reguardless of the hill)...

fatoots

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I catch myself doing this too, and yes on more challenging trails. I have been working on my technique, and I noticed someone above mentioned whole foot skiing. I recently realized just how much I was only using the balls of my feet, and how much more carve and control I got shifting my weight. I have so much happier.

Now, I'd be much happier if there were actually some snow to carve on instead of extra-hard pack. :rolleyes:

michpc

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I think it's a subconscious belief that dragging the poles might somehow slow me down if I'm out of control :laugh:. I find I'm a pole dragger on icy runs!

volklgirl

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
And yet, this is one of the times when you really, really NEED those hands and poles out in front of you, triggering your turns and keeping your weight forward and balanced.

cyn

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Add me to the list, and I have custom footbeds, too. I have to remind myself to flatten out my toes as I ski, otherwise as soon as I get to something challenging, they curl.

volklgirl

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Confession time: If you ever see me standing at the top of something ugly for a while, I'm methodically placing each of my toes individually and firmly on my foot bed before I start my run. I start at the right pinky and work my way across. :redface: I'm a "clawer" too.

slipnslide

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I think it's a subconscious belief that dragging the poles might somehow slow me down if I'm out of control :laugh:. I find I'm a pole dragger on icy runs!

Me too. I have consciously started to keep my hands in front of me and have gotten the problem under control, except in icy steep terrain..where toes curl too.

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LaurieAnna