• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

To the Mainers

rach93

Certified Ski Diva
I just wanted to say that I am now extremely jealous of those fortunate to live in Maine.

I spent this last weekend up at Saddleback. What an amazing place!

Any Rangeley area locals on here? What's it like to live there?

MaineSkiLady

Angel Diva
Hello, and welcome!

I live 40+ miles from Rangeley, in the Farmington area. I moved here 23 years ago from southern Wisconsin (75 mi to ORD <sigh>). This was a major career move for DH, so not “altogether” for recreation.

Rangeley is a very high-end town, for real estate. Lots of multi-million dollar mansions, most of which are unoccupied most of the year. Summer and winter recreation are big, as are hunting season and snowmobiling.

If you come here from a more urban environment, the lack of goods and services can be...surprising. While basic medical care is available in the Rangeley area, most medical is in Farmington (small hospital, good multi-specialty clinic). Anything more involved requires travel to Augusta (Maine General), Lewiston (Central Maine Medical Center) or Portland (Maine Medical, which is one of the top hospitals in New England).

We do a lot of driving here.

Air travel is out of Portland Jetport/PWM, which mostly serves larger hubs. So if you’re looking to travel across the country, multiple flights/transfers/waits will be required. And lots of time.

The good news is the rural ambiance. For all it appears to be all woods, every acre of property is owned by someone. And anyone who might get stranded or need help WILL get help. People stop.

While crime is increasing everywhere, the region is still on the low side, statistically.

Consider all aspects when contemplating relocation, including tax implications. We had an amazing job offer, jaw-dropping relocation package - i.e., it was an offer “too good to refuse.” And here we are.

Much luck. Any further questions, fire away. I’m one of the few on this forum who lives in this region.

rach93

Certified Ski Diva
I was absolutely stunned by how beautiful it was there.

I am from rural VT, and I used to live rural Montana so I get that part of it, to me that is a huge selling point.

I was curious about some of the surrounding area, what's Madrid like? Seems like a blink and miss it spot on the map?

MaineSkiLady

Angel Diva
I was curious about some of the surrounding area, what's Madrid like? Seems like a blink and miss it spot on the map?
Yes, blink and miss. Lots of those in the region. And a tremendous amount of major rural poverty (with resulting crime, alas). I feel safer in somewhat larger municipalities - if you can call Farmington "large?" (ax 10k) Better goods and services, protection, road clearing and maintenance, etc. We don't mind the 1+- hour drive to Saddleback and Sugarloaf. If you can hack t-bars, Titcomb Mt is right outside Farmington town limits (and produces a large number of J-level racers). Black Mt outside of Rumford is 1200+ vertical, offers night skiing, delightful place. Skiing is very much a part of the region's culture.

rach93

Certified Ski Diva
Yes, blink and miss. Lots of those in the region. And a tremendous amount of major rural poverty (with resulting crime, alas). I feel safer in somewhat larger municipalities - if you can call Farmington "large?" (ax 10k) Better goods and services, protection, road clearing and maintenance, etc. We don't mind the 1+- hour drive to Saddleback and Sugarloaf. If you can hack t-bars, Titcomb Mt is right outside Farmington town limits (and produces a large number of J-level racers). Black Mt outside of Rumford is 1200+ vertical, offers night skiing, delightful place. Skiing is very much a part of the region's culture.
Titcomb Mt, that sounds interesting may have to check that out. Never heard of it honestly.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cholinga