• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

To carve or not to carve ....

ScottishGirlie

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Thanks a lot for your help! I'll give it a try as soon as I can ski again. I know I can learn it its just a matter of time!:becky:

Go girl!

It took me a while at first to get going. I had some lessons that really helped. The day that it finally clicked it was fantastic. It does take a little bit of time to adjust, but you'll soon get a real buzz from it!!

missyd

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I went to Grindelwald - First again yesterday just for a 1/2day. I just tried out what I had seen on the video (the other tread here) and it worked!
OK I can't do it with pressure on both skis but having the outside ski in full "carving mode" and the inside with near "no pressure mode" I got the feeling for it. I did my first one legged carved turns.
I noticed the my weight must be a little bit more forward and the knee more bent.
I tried it a few times and then my ACLs started to hurt and I decided to ski and do some more exercies the next time.

skiki

Diva in Training
I would definitely advise a few hours of private lessons to get some assistance with the basics. I started skiing as a kid 25yrs ago and refused to follow any more classes by the age of 10. At 17 I picked up ski school again and I am a dedicated student ever since! I jomped into carving from the moment the first carve ski's came on the market and loved it ever since.

A nice exercise to get a feel for your posture and weight distribution:
First of all you need someone to assist you. Choose a slope you feel comfortable on, a slightly steeper part of a Swiss red would do fine.
You are standing above your assistant and he will hold your poles just above the teller while you have them "upside down" on the handles.
Your assistant then starts to pull gently while you try to keep your position. By increasing the pulling force you will be obliged to use as much of the carves as possible and you will get a good feel of how your body posture needs to be in a turn.

Have fun!

mountainxtc

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
that's a good one by skiki, it will show you how you have to move your body to deal with some of the forces that build up in a turn. make sure you don't just "adopt the position" and stay there when you're actually skiing though. the forces will change constantly throughout the turn, unlike when you're standing still, and hence you will have to move constantly to handle them.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cholinga