• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

Tips for skiing with 4 kids & a ford explorer

Skiing2BFreeInYYC

Certified Ski Diva
Hoping I can learn from the experiences of others! Storage and organization tips when having a lot of kids and gear in a medium 3rd row suv like our new explorer.

To date, we always took our 4 kids in our f350 which sat all 6 of us. We had a system that worked well. But, now have a Ford Explorer (long story, can’t change it for next few years). We’re looking into a hitch rack mounted ski carrier. Our plan is to put everything else behind kids in the 3rd row like boots and helmets. Their jackets can sit in their seat with them and I’ll do the same thing with a big bag of the gloves etc up front with me to stay warm (husband drives). I’m starting to get concerned though about organizing this. The bin system worked so well in back of our truck but can’t do the same thing. I worry about boots wrecking the cargo area. I was thinking maybe they could all fit in a huge bag back there, like one of the big waterproof ikea bags or something off Amazon…anyways thanks for any tips or hacks on getting to the hill with all these kids and gear :smile:

Jilly

Staff member
First of all welcome to Ski Diva - YYC - Calgary eh? Not sure about the hitch mounting, Not all that stable. Roof box would be better. Ski and poles up there, even boots on the way home. Boxes lock and racks lock to the bars on the Edge. (Thule or Yakima) So if you stop somewhere on the way home, things are safe.

Cargo area - yeah, I drive an Equinox, so know this. You can get a cargo area mat. Ford or after market. Mine is after market. Weatherall. An old towel or 2, or blanket and you're good. Same for the roof box.

I'm sure there will lots more ideas.

diymom

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
How old are your kids? I certainly found it easier to load everything in when they (and their skis) were smaller. Also, if they are old enough for their own boot bags, that helps with the organization part.

scandium

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I second boot bags with a helmet pocket if that works with your packing space; removes the concern about damage, you can keep helmet and goggles in the top pocket and everything stays together.

santacruz skier

Angel Diva
No kids or experience but I have WeatherTech cargo mat and floor mats in my VW Tiguan ..... Also use tarp to keep things even cleaner.... Light interior.....ugh

CarverJill

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Watching. We do 4 kids and two SUVs. Skiing has been one of the things holding is back from combining into 1 vehicle, camping too.

Skiing2BFreeInYYC

Certified Ski Diva
First of all welcome to Ski Diva - YYC - Calgary eh? Not sure about the hitch mounting, Not all that stable. Roof box would be better. Ski and poles up there, even boots on the way home. Boxes lock and racks lock to the bars on the Edge. (Thule or Yakima) So if you stop somewhere on the way home, things are safe.

Cargo area - yeah, I drive an Equinox, so know this. You can get a cargo area mat. Ford or after market. Mine is after market. Weatherall. An old towel or 2, or blanket and you're good. Same for the roof box.

I'm sure there will lots more ideas.
Thanks! Yah we’re leaning toward a roof box again to for the stability and security factors. Old towels is smart, easy to take out and wash!

Skiing2BFreeInYYC

Certified Ski Diva
Watching. We do 4 kids and two SUVs. Skiing has been one of the things holding is back from combining into 1 vehicle, camping too.

How old are your kids? I certainly found it easier to load everything in when they (and their skis) were smaller. Also, if they are old enough for their own boot bags, that helps with the organization part.
They’re 14, 12, 10 and 9…so skis keep getting bigger and so do the boots! That’s why we can’t take the truck anymore, the boots just won’t fit in the can anymore with the 6 of us too. Trying to avoid the cost of that many boot bags, but does seem smart!

CarverJill

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
We do boot bags for everyone as its so easy for them to be responsible for their stuff and carry it on parking shuttles! There are affordable High Sierra ones.

Hammie

Certified Ski Diva
Hi there to a fellow Calgarian! I have a RAV4 with roof box for skis, and each person has a personal boot bag that fits boots, helmet, goggles in separate pocket to avoid scratches, and gloves/neck tubes/ski pass etc stuffed inside the helmet. Boot bags get lined up (or stacked) in the back of the car. The bags are approximately cube shaped, which helps to stack them vertically if needed. Usually it’s just me, 13yo, and 15yo, but I’ve fit up to 5 people when they’ve brought friends with them and it works fine.

I would definitely recommend a roof box for security. If you have trouble reaching skis that high up, there are little metal steps you can get on Amazon that hook into the car door frame to help you step up without taking up tons of room. The bags are handy because each kid is responsible for putting their own stuff back in their own bag and carrying it back into the house when we get home, and immediately repacked as soon as necktubes are washed and boots dry. Also makes storing things over the summer easy.

Hammie

Certified Ski Diva
And because I love being warm… I have the Dryguy portable boot dryer/warmers that have a 9v plug, and a 9v plug In at the back of the trunk area. I plug them in (still inside the boot bag) for the drive up, and the boots and gloves are toasty warm when we arrive. Easy to put them on in the parking lot. I have bought 3 of them over the years for us, so everyone’s feet are toasty to start the day. I can also just dry the boots on the way home too, which minimizes clean up once we’re home

Hammie

Certified Ski Diva
We have passes for SSV, so spend most of our time there. Hopefully it’s a good season this year - we went up for Canada Day skiing at SSV and I’ve been itching for ski season since then!

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cholinga