• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

Thoughts on Camox Birdie?

getsendy

Diva in Training
I’m an advanced/expert skier in the Sierra. I ski a mixture of backcountry and resort. I currently have the Camox Freebird with Salomon Mtn Pute bindings with leashes in 172cm. I picked them up on Craigslist and LOVE them! I’m looking to pick up a ski with a similar vibe for the resort that I’ll put alpine bindings on. I’m considering the Camox Birdie in 168cm and wondering if anyone has skied both those and the Freebird and can weigh in on the differences between the two? I’m leaning toward the 168cm over the 174 for the Birdie because the 172cm Camox Freebird feels like plenty of ski, and I do a lot of trees and moguls. I’m also considering the Moment Hot Mess in 172cm which I demoed today and had a blast on, but am wondering if I need something shorter for the right stuff, hence looking at the Camox Birdie too. Any advice appreciated!

WaterGirl

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Hi @getsendy I have skied both, but my comparison may not be apples to apples, more like Ojai pixies vs Cuties vs clementines - I am also in the Sierra and have the older Camox Birdie 165 as my daily driver - this is before they changed the sizing and I believe they softened them up a bit. I also demo'd the Camox Freebird in a 164 I believe the 2018 version.

At the time I believe I thought that the Freebird was maybe not as playful as the Birdie. They were set up with demo bindings so not sure if that played into it. I know that it was not similar enough to make me spend the $$$$ b/c they were pretty pricey at the time. I was just getting set up and $900 for a ski seemed like a lot.

As far as sizing now with the new Camox Birdie I am between the 162 and the 168, I would probably go with the 168. I have not been on the new Camox Birdie. I have been on the Captis Birdie and was fine on both the 164 and the 171.

I see that the sizing is also changed now for the Camox Freebird so many more sizes. hmmmmmm
Also the Freebird does not have a lot of tail rocker. The Camox Birdie has more tail rocker, and that's part of what makes it so fun in the soft snow, trees etc.

Have you looked at the Black Crows website and checked the "what's my size" tab? I have found that its been extremely accurate between my daughter and myself. That might help. Otherwise, for me I would have to demo both :smile:

Would like to get on the Moment skis, they sound fun, just not available to demo here.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cholinga