• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

Thing aren't looking a whole lot better

marge

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
My daughter (Diva in training - 7) hurt her knee while we were in Colorado two weeks ago. She was on a pretty large blue bump run (the bumps were almost as tall as her, soft, pretty) when she got going a bit too fast and took a bad spill. She was really complaining of her knee hurting. It swelled up pretty nicely but by the next day (after a pretty bad night with it) was hobbling around and really not complaining too much.

We got back and went to the PCP who took x-rays which looked neg for any fx. Couldn't tell anything about soft structures but he said ice, rest, and motrin and recheck if it's not improved. Well, she was hobbling a bit but each day got better. I thought things were looking fairly good but we were snuggling the other morning (she's almost ALWAYS in our bed by morning) and I moved and inadvertently flexed her knee while I was at it. She awoke screaming from a dead sleep. :( I felt so bad. :(

Needless to say we finally got an appt with the pediatric sports medicine orthpod next Friday and she is doing just fine as long as you don't bend it too far.

Anyway, just thought I would update and add her to the list of injured. I kept her out of soccer this season as well because I didn't want her to get hurt worse. :( She was really disappointed about that one too. :(

I'll update after the appt next week.

Robyn

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Ah, poor kiddo! Crossing my fingers that it's something some pt and rest will help.

Daria

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Hi Marge

I am glad you have an appointment with a good sports doc! Knees can be so deceiving and you really need an MRI to assess the injury.

I tore my ACL four years ago and did not have much immediate feedback from my body and ended up with surgery and I am glad I did. This season I had a bad bruise and the reactions (swelling and pain) were much worse but the MRI showed nothing signficant and I have recovered well.

So push for an MRI to really see what is going on. You won't really know, short of surgery, what has happened.

Good luck with your Diva in training and let us know how you progress!

hoodgirl

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Oh my goodness! I wish you the best of luck with your daughter... keep us updated.

Thinking good thoughts for you.

ski diva

Administrator
Staff member
I feel for you, marge. As a mother, I know that I'd rather be hurt/ill/etc. than to see my child in pain. I'm sure you feel the same.

Hope she heals fast!

MaineSkiLady

Angel Diva
Oh marge, so sorry to hear this----nothing worse than seeing a child injured and in pain (spoken from decades of experience....)! So glad she will be seeing ortho, please let us know how it works out.

SnowHot

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Marge, as always, I appreciate your knowledge in this stuff.
Having been an ER nurse and a mom, you know that tough kids can mask a real injury, and yet, can drama queen on something that is nothing.
This is looking like its a well masked "something"

Keep us posted and give the Lil diva a hug.
When she heals, you can come up and visit so she can show me how to ski bumps!!!

num

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Oh, poor little diva. She sounds like a trooper, though! Her symptoms sound a lot like my acl, but the knee is so complex who knows. Let's see what the ortho finds, maybe something that heals itself. Best wishes for a quick diagnosis and full and speedy recovery for her.

Ah, Marge. I'm sorry. Sounds like you have one brave little diva in your house! My thoughts are with you and I'll be sending "knee healing" vibes your way!

Ski Spirit

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Marge, sorry to hear about the little diva's injury! Hope the ortho is able to help it heal quickly and thoroughly!!!

marge

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Thanks girls. This guy is supposed to be phenomenal. I asked two of the docs I work for who they would take her to and they both said this guy. He's only one of 2 sports medicine guys that specializes in pediatrics. I know their x-rays can be so tricky.

I'm REALLY hoping to avoid the mri if at ALL possible. Only because she's so young and I know that it might mean sedating her. :( I also am going to have to try to find an open one if at all possible.

I know moms know their kids but she's 1/2 tough cookie and 1/2 drama queen. :redface: I'm not sure really which one to trust. :noidea:

I'll update when we know more. :thumbsup: Thanks again!

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LaurieAnna