• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

These are the kind of days

Robyn

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
that make me love coaching! For those of you who don't know I coach for a team at Copper Mountain and have our youngest group, 5 & 6 year olds. This my third season coaching and this year has been a tough one. Last year I had an INCREDIBLE group of kids the majority of whom skipped right over the rest of our devo program into age prep and are blowing away coaches and competition alike. This year has been so different and somewhat discouraging at times. Part of the problem has been frigid weather, part just kids that aren't as motivated as those I had last year.

Today we had a pretty small group, some gone on vacation some sick. One of my girls, we'll call her M, has had a rough year. She has two older sisters who are on the team and help but can't do a lot with her major issues. She has issues with textures (this is a documented disorder) so getting her dressed is difficult and if she gets too hot it's really torture for her. Every morning thus far has started with tears and me begging her to just give me one run. Inevitably after the one run she has cooled off and feels better but she hasn't been very into training.

Well, today was different, very different. M was blowing the boys out of the water, beating them down every run. Skating faster on a cat track and loved the tree trail I took her down. I haven't seen her grin like that all season. This afternoon she was begging me to do a specific type of drill that we haven't done before so I can only imagine she learned it from her sisters, really excited when I talked about taking them down a black diamond run and just into the day. I finally told her that I really like this version of her and asked her what changed. She said she dreamed that today would be a good one. I told her that whatever caused her to dream that she needs to do it every week. She was my rockstar today and I made sure she knew how proud I was of her! Our newest Ski Diva in the making I believe! :ski2:

On top of that I had one of my girls from last year run up to me and give me a big hug during one of our warm up breaks and had another coach tell me that another little boy (who I'm forever telling to stop doing something :nono: ) told his mom that I'm his favorite coach. :yahoo:

Yep, today was an awesome day. And now I'm enjoying a glass of red wine, a favorite cheese and some dolmas for dinner.

SkiNurse

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
What a great day for you...I love those type of days that put all others into perspective!
Nothing better than hugs from kids!:thumbsup:

Bravosarah

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
That's awesome Robyn! It's nice when your peers acknowledge your work, but when it's the kids - that's special!:clap:

greekpeakskier

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
hey, i loved this story. one of our girls is a tiger, but the other one suffers from a learning disorder. it took my partner (who doesn't ski AT ALL and walked in front of her) and me 8 hours (in several shifts) to get her down the magic carpet the first time. so now she can ski almost any black at the resort -- badly and often in a snow plow, but she wants to ski w/ her bombing down the mountain sister.

last week she was going through the school program (abt) that awards different stickers. it was the first week, and she went out to test for her "blue" (she'd almost gotten to her black last year), she almost got run over by a snowboarder on the night mountain, and she became paralyzed in the dark and began to cry in fear. the instructor SCREAMED at her. i kept my mouth shut and took her in. she sobbed, swore she'd never ski again. it was really awful.

so, i took her out the next day. happened upon this amazing female instructor who listened to her babble away about her fear... was just patient and listened, and then took her through level after level of tests. as my daughter relaxed into the kindness of this teacher, she passed level after level and regained her confidence. she is going out tomorrow to test for her "black."

it's good to hear a story like this from the perspective of an instructor.

thanks.

dloveski

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
great story robyn and greekpeakspeaker. For these divas-in-training, I have plenty of Solitude stickers, PM me with your address and I'll hook these little divas up!!!!

MaineSkiLady

Angel Diva
Great to hear this, Robyn!! Those breakthrough days are SO memorable :clap: --- and they can make the lesser ones pretty much fade into the background. Keep reporting - hope this little gal has had her "epiphany!" Thanks to you!

Hey, NVG, you're sure up early!! 5:40 mountain time!

SnowHot

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Robyn, not only do I understand this moment in time for you, but I celebrate it with you!!!
Can I celebrate with a cup of coffee and a nice slice of cheesecake?

One week and you'll be wishing you'd never met me. :yahoo:

Robyn

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Robyn, not only do I understand this moment in time for you, but I celebrate it with you!!!
Can I celebrate with a cup of coffee and a nice slice of cheesecake?

One week and you'll be wishing you'd never met me. :yahoo:
Never! I can't wait to meet you on Friday. Mmmm, coffee sounds fantastic right now. I was so exhausted last night that I just got up after sleeping 12 hours. I NEVER do that.

Thanks for the kind words from everyone. I really was a fantastic day. I even forgot that my head coach complimented the work I've done with these guys. He never gives compliments!

ski diva

Administrator
Staff member
Robyn and GPSkier, these are fantastic stories! It's amazing how much more we get out of skiing than just gliding down the hill, something non-skiers can never imagine. It's just one of the things I love about this sport! :clap:

Pequenita

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
These are such great feelgood stories! You should print out this thread and store them someplace so you can look at them in case you have a bad day, to remind yourselves of how awesome you are. :smile:

num

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Sounds great Robyn. Mmm dolmas...which kind? Oh yeah, and the coaching story is great too :p

I love those days! I have them sometimes as a teacher, and they provide enough inspiration to get me motivated and in the right mindset for all the other days of the year.

Greekpeakskier, I'm glad your daughter happened upon the right kind of instructor for her to make breakthroughs with. When the student and the instructor click beautiful things happen!

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cholinga