• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

Question: The price of ski school - I need a reality check

WaterGirl

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I can't believe this is the topic of my first post. I just called to book a friday lesson -- first one this year as conditions have not been worth spending the $$..... DD is 11. She has 15 days in this season so far, her own skis, and was at a "level 5" last year but skis with DH and and I over 85% of the mountain (easy blacks)... she also has season pass.

I know she enjoys being with other kids but had mixed lesson results last year -- some times too easy but socially fun or sometimes a bit over her level and "the only girl in the group"..... I totally believe in lessons as well as having the social kid time. Since she spent 15 days with mom and dad, I thought that she might enjoy some kid time as we are going up for 4 days.

However, am I wrong to think that $210 a day for 9-3 is a bit much?
Its $177 b/c she has her own equipment and would have been $159 if I had booked a week in advance (non refundable). I get no credit for lift ticket that day despite her season pass... nor a discount as a pass holder. (maybe I should subtract the $15 grilled cheese and fries I would normally pay for since lunch is included)

I remember last year being $120.... please let me know if this seems like a steep amount! Maybe I need a reality check? (or to get her on the "ski team"???? they have a 2 weekend a month program)

contesstant

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I feel your pain with a just-turned 7YO who really needs to be in lessons as she just doesn't do well skiing with mom and dad. Every time we take a family trip, we spend almost $1000 on lessons! Which is just one more reason we are moving to Ogden...she can be involved in a weekly program and we can buy season passes.

WaterGirl

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I feel your pain with a just-turned 7YO who really needs to be in lessons as she just doesn't do well skiing with mom and dad. Every time we take a family trip, we spend almost $1000 on lessons! Which is just one more reason we are moving to Ogden...she can be involved in a weekly program and we can buy season passes.
Thank you, yes you will have better snow and be so much closer to many more ski choices.... I am assuming we are skiing the same places right now....

@geargrrl Im in Southern California also -- I totally get it.... started her local Mt High; then Big Bear; and now the past few years Mammoth. (I see June Mountain has lessons for up to to age 13 and its less, but right now so is the snow base....).

Just thinking that jump in price, in a draught year, when they are discounting everything else on the mountain just seems wrong.

contesstant

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Thank you, yes you will have better snow and be so much closer to many more ski choices.... I am assuming we are skiing the same places right now....

@geargrrl Im in Southern California also -- I totally get it.... started her local Mt High; then Big Bear; and now the past few years Mammoth. (I see June Mountain has lessons for up to to age 13 and its less, but right now so is the snow base....).

Just thinking that jump in price, in a draught year, when they are discounting everything else on the mountain just seems wrong.
Oh, the lessons at June are great! So much more economical! I thought conditions up there had improved quite a lot--haven't they opened the whole mountain? Regardless, it'd be worth it to take her over there for a day just for the savings on lessons.

Yes, lessons at Mammoth are ASTRONOMICAL. And yes, their prices did increase quite a lot for this season.

WaterGirl

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Oh, the lessons at June are great! So much more economical! I thought conditions up there had improved quite a lot--haven't they opened the whole mountain? Regardless, it'd be worth it to take her over there for a day just for the savings on lessons. .

We were actually thinking of going there on Saturday --- just to avoid saturday at Mammoth LOL.
YES they say they will have more chairs running this weekend. Just have been paying for a lot of ski tuning from the rock and tree skiing earlier this year... trying to stay on some snow :smile: Good thing the guys that tune our skis drink Coors.....

I always try to do a lesson on a non weekend day - like friday.... but maybe June on Saturday would be fun, and she would have an intro to the mountain via the ski instructor....

ps I guess its "Bucky's Birthday" saturday.... we were just there for Woolleys!

gardenmary

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Yes, lessons at Mammoth are ASTRONOMICAL. And yes, their prices did increase quite a lot for this season.

Boy, you're not kidding. A 2-1/2-hour group lesson at Mammoth costs only $4 less than what I pay at Snowbasin for a 2-1/2-hr private. And that's before I factor in the passholder special Basin is running. (Technically it's a 2-hr private but many days we go closer to 3 hours.)

Everything but liquor is cheaper in Utah! When I come up to visit I'm going to have to drive sometimes and bring wine!

contesstant

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Boy, you're not kidding. A 2-1/2-hour group lesson at Mammoth costs only $4 less than what I pay at Snowbasin for a 2-1/2-hr private. And that's before I factor in the passholder special Basin is running. (Technically it's a 2-hr private but many days we go closer to 3 hours.)

Everything but liquor is cheaper in Utah! When I come up to visit I'm going to have to drive sometimes and bring wine!
EVERYTHING is more expensive in CA, well, except liquor and we don't consume enough of that for it to matter. So excited to get out of this state and go where our dollars will go so much further!

contesstant

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
We were actually thinking of going there on Saturday --- just to avoid saturday at Mammoth LOL.
YES they say they will have more chairs running this weekend. Just have been paying for a lot of ski tuning from the rock and tree skiing earlier this year... trying to stay on some snow :smile: Good thing the guys that tune our skis drink Coors.....

I always try to do a lesson on a non weekend day - like friday.... but maybe June on Saturday would be fun, and she would have an intro to the mountain via the ski instructor....

ps I guess its "Bucky's Birthday" saturday.... we were just there for Woolleys!

That is a really good idea. I am wishing and dreaming of making one more trip up there at the end of March, and will hit June on Saturday just to avoid the mobs. Have a great time!

gardenmary

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
EVERYTHING is more expensive in CA, well, except liquor and we don't consume enough of that for it to matter. So excited to get out of this state and go where our dollars will go so much further!
Yes, the blue Pacific comes with one helluva price tag, doesn't it?

contesstant

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
It really does. For some, it's worth it. But not for me! Maybe it's because I'm not a native, I don't know!

Jilly

Staff member
So I've always thought that Tremblant was expensive....$ 125/day for a kids full day lesson including lunch. Rentals and lifts would be extra....so having her own equipment and a season pass is good. Now the total cost is 18% more because of taxes....

WaterGirl

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
That is a really good idea. I am wishing and dreaming of making one more trip up there at the end of March, and will hit June on Saturday just to avoid the mobs. Have a great time!

Thank you, I appreciate your insight :smile: and I think we will go to June on Saturday, just discussed w/ DD :smile:
BTW so you may be in for some more snow at the end of March.... not sure if you follow Howard Sheckters weather report form his posting today - end of March could be looking good:
Longer Range:
Both the GFS have ECMWF have diverged on the handling for the midweek system next week.............. It appears that there is support from the global models, the MJO if it progresses into phase 3 and the CFS for the stage to be set for a grand finale for the last 7 days of the month of March and the possibility of a few feet of snowfall……The CFS has the 1st week of April sort of wet as well.

So I've always thought that Tremblant was expensive....$ 125/day for a kids full day lesson including lunch. Rentals and lifts would be extra....so having her own equipment and a season pass is good. Now the total cost is 18% more because of taxes....

Oh I know all about the GST as I lived outside of Toronto for four years, and traveled around Ontario and Quebec for work, but its sooooo beautiful..... :smile: and 125$ sounds reasonable.....

I guess I just don't get the lack of love for being season pass holders ...... you would think they would at least throw in a discount on the lift ticket.

Last edited:

Jilly

Staff member
Here at Tremblant and at home too, everything is separate....Lifts, lessons, rentals, all separate....As a season pass holder you should get a discount for any lesson, and the lifts deducted....But....

contesstant

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Thank you, I appreciate your insight :smile: and I think we will go to June on Saturday, just discussed w/ DD :smile:
BTW so you may be in for some more snow at the end of March.... not sure if you follow Howard Sheckters weather report form his posting today - end of March could be looking good:
Longer Range:
Both the GFS have ECMWF have diverged on the handling for the midweek system next week.............. It appears that there is support from the global models, the MJO if it progresses into phase 3 and the CFS for the stage to be set for a grand finale for the last 7 days of the month of March and the possibility of a few feet of snowfall……The CFS has the 1st week of April sort of wet as well.

Oh I know all about the GST as I lived outside of Toronto for four years, and traveled around Ontario and Quebec for work, but its sooooo beautiful..... :smile: and 125$ sounds reasonable.....

I guess I just don't get the lack of love for being season pass holders ...... you would think they would at least throw in a discount on the lift ticket.
Let me know how you like June! It has such a mellow vibe to it--have you ever downloaded on a steep chair lift? I thought it'd freak me out, but the view was so amazing on the way down, I loved it!
And if it snows at the end of March, I'll have even more reason to try to get up there one last time (literally, one last time, as we are moving in June!) I will miss skiing Mammoth so much. I just love the lifts there and how the mountain is laid out.

Moonrocket

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Our home mountain has a pretty discounted 5 day kids lesson add on to season passes $429 when bought with your season pass. You can only sign up morning of- but we've never been turned away even on a holiday weekend. Seems like 149-159ish is pretty standard for big CO mountains from what I've seen.

I have a 2 day lesson add on to my pass and I need to get on using it! I have yet to.
ETA the adult 2 lesson add on was $159- but I got it for a Birthday present.

pinto

Ski Diva Extraordinaire

Produce and flowers were a lot cheaper when I lived there, too, if that helps. :-)

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cholinga