• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

The Name on Her Pass is Lisa

Kano

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I don't know if she's a Diva, but she's certainly a diva! And certainly a diva extroardinaire!

DH and I were skiing down Showcase this morning, one of my first couple of runs for the day -- hardpack after several days of warm weather, and groomed. Showcase is a blue run, kind of a good warm-up one, and also heavily used by the ski school beginner programs. He went flying down - I was supposed to be right behind him (he goes faster than me no matter what I do!), and the corduroy was fast, easy skiing this morning. I was having a good time, and practicing the stuff I've been working on this winter -- keeping my skis parallel, and relatively close together, and keeping my butt where it belongs (that back seat thing, you know!) Strangely, the thing I've been struggling with MOST this winter is my poles. It's just like they've been one thing too many to work with, tossing everything into confusion when I've tried to do anything besides keep them out from under my feet!

This Lisa was coming down the hill behind me, and caught up, asking me, have you tried using your poles? I stopped, she stopped, we talked, she explained, she demonstrated, I tried, and we played like this much of the rest of the way to the run out. It was a fun, spontaneous mini-lesson!

My pole issue is solved!

When I got back to the lift, DH was all, what took you, and did you fall --- I said to him, noooooooooooooooooooo, it was a GREAT run!

So, I don't know if Lisa will see this or not, but thank you again, and I hope your day was as much fun as mine was!

And a side note -- DH said he got a nifty little cue the other day while skiing some bumps near a woman who was struggling a bit. He said she HAD to have been in a class very recently -- she was stabbing those bumps hard, and loudly saying "you're MY bump!" as she stabbed -- He said it stuck with him and has been working well for him since!

Kano

Sheena

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
It was a fun, spontaneous mini-lesson!

My pole issue is solved!

Awesome! What a way to make a great day better!

And a side note -- DH said he got a nifty little cue the other day while skiing some bumps near a woman who was struggling a bit. He said she HAD to have been in a class very recently -- she was stabbing those bumps hard, and loudly saying "you're MY bump!" as she stabbed -- He said it stuck with him and has been working well for him since!

lol. This made me laugh. I may have to try talking to the terrain next time I am out there.

Kano[/QUOTE]

Pequenita

Ski Diva Extraordinaire

Lol. I used to think about killing/stabbing the rooster on the tips of my old Rossis as a mantra.

MaineSkiLady

Angel Diva
The 30 second lesson: sometimes these small pointers can be invaluable enough to create a major breakthrough. The smallest adjustment in technique/stance, etc. Bad habits have a way of sneaking into technique over time (I'm speaking for myself here), and tips can be magic bullets in making us aware and working it out. The best part: these tend to really stick in our minds over time. I'm not sure why, but :yahoo: when they happen. So glad you had that experience. It's a great feeling.

Jilly

Staff member
"you're MY bump!"
I like that. I took a session last fall at our CSIA convention about bumps. The level 4 (female) suggested that they were diamonds and we wanted to stab the middle. Here in the east alot of the bumps are diamond shaped, not nice round things. So same idea, said differently.

Gloria

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I like that. I took a session last fall at our CSIA convention about bumps. The level 4 (female) suggested that they were diamonds and we wanted to stab the middle. Here in the east alot of the bumps are diamond shaped, not nice round things. So same idea, said differently.

Hopefully you were skiing over the bumps or not in the trough or zipper line. Planting in the middle or uphill portion of the bump while ripping the zipper opens your shoulders up to injury because it cause you to turn around the pole which ends up around ear level as you cross it and then up and behind you if you don't get it out of the way quick enough. Says she who stayed home yesterday with a torn muscle from doing precisely this. Oh and I knew better too, I just had to pass DH.

Jilly

Staff member
Actually the idea was to stab the middle, and at the same time push the hand forward and down. That's keeps the balance in check. I like to pole plant on the back of the diamond to get into the front side of the next bump, where there is snow, not crud.

SnowHot

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Hope you meet up with lisa again some day. These chance meetings can become lasting friendships.
Just ask my good friend Laurie, who I met in the singles line two years ago.
Can't imagine my ski life without her now, enough so that she want to Colorado with us last month.

Kano
Reminds me of the day Margaritamarcia said she was going to "make that snow her b!tch"

Gloria

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Actually the idea was to stab the middle, and at the same time push the hand forward and down. That's keeps the balance in check. I like to pole plant on the back of the diamond to get into the front side of the next bump, where there is snow, not crud.
Yep that works for where you are skiing the bump, the danger in planting in the high middle or uphill side when you are skiing down in the zipper is your arm is up and outwards at a bad angle and the pole can actually jam into the bump as your weight crosses it preventing the hand from being able to move down effectively. So essentially you are skiing around a stationary pole which can and as I witnessed, actually can pull your shoulder back, or at least knock you back onto the tails of your skiis with a pretty good thump. So down in the trough you really want to aim for the downhill side towards the edge of the bump early on in the turn so you can get it out of the darn way.
I learned to pop the bubble too and, still if I am skiing in the trough end up with a pole above my head that I've skied past about every 15 or so turns, hard habit to break. This time it just jammed and dang near took my shoulder out of the socket. So I am a little more weary and want to fully disclose, IT HURTS!!!

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cholinga